0 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult Fiction

Moonlight spilled across my face like liquid silver as I settled into the stranger's car, it's cold glow a silent witness to the rebellion I dared to undertake. The night in Eunice, a small, sleepy town in Louisiana, wrapped around me like a cloak, concealing my sins and disobedience. The shadows became my confidants, whispering secrets only I could hear, the greatest of which was my carefully plotted escape. No one from my family could ever know where I was headed, nor could they ever condone it. My thoughts were interrupted as the door beside me slammed shut, shattering the night’s fragile silence. The town’s infamous dealer, a figure both feared and revered, turned to me, his voice a low murmur. “Lafayette airport, right?” I nodded, and with a flick of his wrist, the engine roared to life, pulling me closer to the unknown.

As we drove towards the nearest airport, where a flight to New York awaited, doubt gnawed at me like a persistent ache. Was it foolish to leave my family with nothing but a vague note about “work opportunities”? Or was it even more absurd to undertake this journey for someone I’d never met in person? My mind churned with these thoughts, each one crashing into the next like waves in a stormy sea. But then, the music in the car surged, drowning out my fears and filling me with a strange exhilaration. For the first time, I felt the intoxicating thrill of freedom — terrifying and electrifying all at once. The night air rushed through the open window, teasing my hair and staining my pale cheeks with a blush as if the wind itself was flirting with me. In that moment, I was no longer a spectator in my life; I was the protagonist, finally in control of my own story.

But as the song faded, replaced by a melody I had long since buried, my heart stumbled. Recognition of forgotten once “L’italiano” sparked a cascade of memories, each one sharper and more painful than the last. My eyes welled up with tears that seemed to carve their way down my face, each one a tiny, liquid dagger. The past swept over me like a relentless tide, pulling me back to Verona. 

There we were, dancing under the stars on cobblestone streets, our laughter mingling with the night as strangers looked on, their smiles soft with approval. Another flash — us standing on the Ponte Scaligero bridge, the Adige River flowing beneath, a ribbon of liquid silver. The city was a dreamscape, but his eyes — those deep green eyes — were the real enchantment. They were forests, with a hint of brown, as luxurious as the best Swiss chocolate, inviting me to lose myself in their depths. On that ancient bridge, his kiss was like a spell, dizzying and passionate, filled with a love too profound for words. The world faded, leaving only us, a pair of souls caught in the timeless magic of Verona. Strangers captured our moments, calling us "affascinante," as if we had stepped out of a Shakespearean tragedy, modern Romeo and Juliette, lost in a love that could never last. He spoke in that thick Italian accent of his, telling me about his wild, unbound life, a life so different from mine, preordained and suffocating. He envied and pitied me in equal measure, and I could only nod, feeling the weight of my own chains. 

We both knew that what we had could never endure, that this love, so fierce and consuming, was doomed from the start. Reality was a cruel, unyielding force, and I had no choice but to bow to it — especially after I saw him with her. Another woman. Her hair was as dark as mine, illuminated by the streetlights as she kissed him. That sight shattered the dream, and I fled, my heart breaking with every step.

I shook my head, banishing the memories like shadows chased away by dawn. They were ghosts of a love that was never meant to last, a story too fragile to survive the harsh light of reality. Three years had passed, and it was time to let go. Verona was behind me, and ahead lay the unknown, where I would finally meet the friend who had been my constant companion through endless nights. 

We had never met in person, yet he was as familiar as myself. Two years of shared secrets, whispered in the dark when the world was quiet and our souls were bared. He had told me of his escape from a life that tried to bind him, of a father who demanded he marry a woman chosen for her wealth. New York had been his refuge, a place where he could breathe and live on his own terms. He spoke of freedom as if it were a precious jewel, something rare and worth any price. He was like me, a soul yearning to break free from the chains of family and fate. He called me “my love,” something that was meant to be platonic but had a way of stirring emotions I tried to keep buried. How could one not fall for him, when every conversation felt like a lifeline, pulling closer to something real, something true? How does one talk for hours on end, looking at the illuminated screen and white letters on the black screen, and never feels the need for physical connection? 

Together, we had planned this for weeks, our voices weaving dreams of a future where we could finally be ourselves. Now, the moment was here, and the universe seemed to hold its breath, as if waiting to see if we would seize this chance.

The plane’s descent jolted me awake, pulling me from the grasp of sleep like a rough hand. The pilot’s voice crackled over the intercom, announcing our arrival, and with it, the reality of what I had done. The weight of my choices pressed down on me, heavy and unrelenting. I had never met this person — never seen his face, never heard his laugh. What if he wasn’t who I thought he was? What if this was all a mistake, a reckless leap into the unknown? But then again, wasn’t that the point? 

For the first time, I had broken free of the suffocating grip of my mother’s warnings and my father’s expectations. I was no longer the obedient daughter, living a life mapped out for me before I was even born. I was something new — something unshaped and unbound. The thought was intoxicating, even as fear gnawed at the edges of my resolve. I could turn back now, catch the next flight home, and slip back into the life I knew. But a part of me — the part that had whispered to me in the dark, urging me to take this risk — knew that if I did, I would be forever haunted by what could have been. So, with trembling hands, I picked up my luggage, ready to meet the person who had become my beacon in the night.

As I stood in the crowded airport, my heart raced with a thousand possibilities. My mind conjured images of the person who would soon step into my life, each one more outlandish than the last. What if he was a serial killer, his charm a mask for something dark and twisted? Or perhaps he was a handsome, sun-kissed surfer, the kind of man who moved through life with effortless ease. Maybe he was a nerd, endearingly awkward with thick glasses and a shy smile. Or worse — what if he was a middle-aged man, his face lined with the years of a life lived too hard, married with secrets he kept hidden in the shadows? But then, there was the possibility that frightened me the most — that he could be the love of my life, the one person who understood me in ways no one else ever could. My heart clenched at the thought, a bittersweet longing mixed with the fear of disappointment. 

I shook my head, trying to clear the swirl of emotions that threatened to overwhelm me. Whoever he was, I would soon find out. And maybe, just maybe, I would discover that the love I had longed for was not a fantasy, but something real and waiting for me here, in the city of endless possibilities.

As I waited in the bustling terminal, my eyes scanned the crowd, searching for a face I had never seen but somehow felt I would recognize. And then, I saw him — a silhouette emerging from the throng of travellers, each step bringing him closer, making my heart pound harder. My breath caught as the figure came into focus, and a jolt of disbelief coursed through me. It couldn’t be… but it was. A figure from my past, the very person I had tried so hard to forget. The man from Verona, the one who had once held my heart and shattered it in the same breath. He approached with a tentative smile, those familiar green eyes locking onto mine.

“My love?” he whispered, his voice filled with a mixture of hope and uncertainty. The words hung in the air between us, heavy with the weight of the past and the promise of something more.

Time seemed to stretch, each second an eternity as I stood there, torn between the girl who had once loved him and the woman I was becoming. The memories of our time together in Verona rushed back — his passionate kisses, the way his eyes sparkled with mischief, and the betrayal that had nearly broken me. But standing here now, I saw something different in him — an earnestness, a longing that mirrored my own. He was no longer the carefree playboy of my past; he had changed, just as I had.

Yet, doubt lingered at the edges of my mind. Could I trust him again? Could I risk my heart on someone who had already hurt me once before? Or was this my chance to start anew, to forge a life where love and freedom could coexist?

I met his gaze, searching those green eyes for answers, but they held none. The decision was mine to make — whether to step forward into the unknown or turn away and return to the safety of the life I knew. The possibilities stretched before me like the streets of New York, filled with twists and turns, each one leading to a different future.

And in that moment, as the city hummed around us, I realised that whatever choice I made, it would be my own. For the first time, I was free to choose, to decide the course of my life, unbound by the expectations of others.

His hand reached out, hovering just inches from mine, an invitation filled with hope and a touch of trepidation. For a moment, I hesitated, my heart caught between the remnants of past pain and the promise of something new. But as I looked into his eyes, I saw not just the man who had once hurt me, but someone who had changed, someone who had come back for me. And maybe, just maybe, this was our second chance. With a deep breath, I reached out and took his hand, feeling the warmth of his touch seep into my skin, grounding me in the present. In that instant, the doubts faded, replaced by a quiet certainty. Together, we stepped forward into the bustling streets of New York, the city where anything was possible, ready to see where this path would lead us — no longer alone, but together.

August 30, 2024 19:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.