0 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

User 1

You only wanted me for my money and that was clear from the start. I could see straight through and the ugly was showing. I kept on giving and you kept on taking.

I couldn't stand you and your simpering ways. The pleadings and sighs made me feel cold. When I was hungry, you refused to feed me- yet I fed you.

User 2

You only wanted me for my body and that was plain to see. Everything was cheap with you. I remember some kindnesses but you were my enemy all the way along. There was the pretence of keeping costs down at any length. Even your car was cheap.

I hated your touch- it left me cold. Now I was free I was happy. I could go where I wish and do as I pleased. After time wasted on you, I felt my cup over brimming with joy.

The anger wouldn't subside. The door mat syndrome was gone and I had awoken from a deep sleep. Like an automaton that did as it was told- I was yours for a time.

Life was easier without you. My heart had hardened against you. I wished awful things but kept my mouth sewn for fear of a backlash.

What goes around, comes around and yours was coming.

User 1

How did you sleep at night? Didn't your conscience bother you? Your arrogance and selfishness bordered on the psychopathic. You kept on coming for me like a B52 bomber. I couldn't take it.

You thought me rich. I was sympathetic and kind- but no longer. I was putting my foot down.

I was relishing the rolls of time. I was defending myself- the defenseless. Barriers were being erected for security in my heart. I would not allow you to replace me like a one-use item. I was going to stick around.

This quiet determination of mine was making me feel very good indeed. Your control over me was vanishing. You would never have me and it made you very angry indeed.

I flattered you to make you feel secure. I sometimes meant it but you still failed to move me. Your act had become apparent.

Why should I give up everything for you. Why should I sacrifice? What did you ever do for me in return except expect me to make you cups of coffee and do things for you for free.

Remember when I was hungry and you refused to feed me? I had a word for you then and it remains true. Whilst I had a good heart yours was rotten to the core. I knew that, but awoke slowly from the spell that you had cast on me.

None of us are without faults but yours were showing all the more. You said that you wanted to move to a country house somewhere. You even wanted to move in with me. Never. Not on your mother or father's life was that going to happen.

I know the tricks you played. The slurs you delivered. You were trying to break me, shake me, overtake me but I wasn't going to give in.

The sun was shining on my contempt for you. How would it end? I don't know. The build up had come slow and painfully.

I was sick at being walked on. You wanted me to serve you again and again without reward. I disliked you severely for it and you never had a clue. You still came to me like a bee to honey.

You

You were like a fresh breath of air. Good looking, tall- a dream boat. Nothing was happening between us and nothing ever would, but the tantalising element of both of us together had crossed my mind.

Like the lost loved for longing I lounged around hoping for a cure. I knew that I was sick from the start, and even the attempt at life would make me even more sick

I knew that I'd be forgotten like everything else. Swept away in a cloud of dust, filed away somewhere until I disappear. Only being dragged up when required and the story changed to meet the user.

The history books always lie. The truth is always somewhere in between.

But you, you were worth the wait so far.

I was happy to keep you at a distance, my heart dangling dangerously in the dungeon of my soul. I could not escape defeat, even when I won.

The temptation to fool myself that everything was fine was there. Lurking, like some lovesick lost soul, I lingered. We were both problems waiting to happen. Two whirlwinds competing against each other until they caused even more destruction. The ruining of my soul was coming and I was unprepared.

Looks don't mean a thing when you're packed full of sin. Evil to evil only brings more evil I had found out at my peril. The only thing left for me was to mourn the dead. They couldn't harm you.

I get done to you what you let others do to you. She wanted to fight and fight until the last round. Never give up or give in. She was fighting on all sides.

Had her time come? It was unknown. That decision was in her makers hands. Her heart was subsiding. She wanted to forgive and calm down. She didn't want a heart attack.

We are near the end

The traffic went by in its usual fashion. Around and around. Where she was was quiet and she liked it that way. Occasionally she wanted some interruptions, but not too many. Control is what she wanted- but there wasn't any deep down really.

She secretly laughed when a passer by was laughing. A window pane had separated them both, so they were unaware of each other. She saw many people that way, secretly, silently.

There wasn't any point in revenge now. There were so many things to do. She was struggling just to stay alive. Like a juggler using as many different objects as possible, she had to stay alert just to survive.

She did not want recognition- merely justice. Even if she didn't see it in her lifetime. Her weaknesses were showing and she didn't know what to do or where to go.

She called upon her ancestors and they answered her quietly and carefully. Maybe they wanted to minimise the damage done or let her go- she was unsure.

The taste of freedom had her hustling for more. If her feathers were cut and ccurtailed anymore, she would not be able to fly. And fly she did.

April 03, 2023 16:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.