1 comment

General

"My story started about three months ago. Well, my life began sixteen years and three months ago, but that's beside the point. I need to get my story out there before I burst. I didn't want to know, it wasn't my choice. But someone has to warn the world about what will happen."


"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Adeline, Happy birthday to you!" Adeline's family cheered. The big sixteen. Adeline looked around, giddy to the core. Outside waiting for her was a twenty nineteen model Buick Encore Preferred, a shiny silver birthday present. The car seemed to call to Adeline, begging her to drive it. She had received the gift only an hour ago and was awaiting the driver's test.

 But now was the time to enjoy her family. Adeline's mother, Alisha, stood to her right, beaming. Her blond hair flowed in graceful waves down to her elbows. To her left, Patrick, her father, was grinning ear to ear. Opposite the table was Melissa, Adeline's older sister. Her blonde hair was swept up into a ponytail reaching her shoulders, and she congratulated Adeline on making it sixteen years through life. Across the table was a wall of windows. In the dark reflection, Adeline stared at her blurred reflection. Her jet black hair hung in straight strands and her green eyes gleamed.

 A black velvet devil's food cake stood before her. The bright flames from pink candles seemed to beg Adeline to blow them out. With one big huff, Adeline extinguished the lights and made a wish. Her mom then cut into the cake and dished out a slice to everyone.

 "Can we take the car for a spin?" Adeline asked enthusiastically once she was finished.

 "Sure, hun," Her father replied.

 Her father stood up and moved to her mother's side. Patrick whispered something in her mother's ear. A grim look settled over Alisha's complexion. Adeline said her goodbyes, then was off with her father.

 They stepped out into the breezy October air. The sharp wind seemed to bite Adeline's face. Winter was on its way. The frosty grass crunched beneath their feet before they stepped onto the driveway. Adeline's father handed her the black keys, a proud look overcoming his face. But not his eyes; something was wrong. Her father's lack of enthusiasm dwindled her spirit.

Adeline clicked the button to unlock the car, and it chirped in response. Adeline stepped towards the parked vehicle and opened the sleek door. It had the signature new car smell. The black leather seats felt plush beneath her, and there was a lot of room in the car.

 Adeline tested the accelerator and brakes. Then, she pulled out into the street and started to drive. After driving around the block, Adeline pulled back into the driveway and skipped inside. Her father followed groggily behind. Once inside, her mother and sister were already at the table.

 "Come, sit. We need to talk."

 "Mom? What is it?" Adeline asked

 Her father followed behind and sat down to the left of Adeline.

 "Okay, here it goes," Her father started. "Your mother and I have been waiting to tell you something for a long time. We decided that on your sixteenth birthday, we would tell you the story of your life. You were adopted, by us, when you were only three months old.

"Your mother and I couldn't have children, and we wanted a second daughter so badly. One night, on our sixth anniversary, we were walking down the streets of Boston, Massachusetts. We heard a wailing off in the distance. Down the corner, in a dark alley, there was a cardboard box, almost completely soaked. You, Adeline, were in it. We searched for your parents everywhere. But then, we realized it was a miracle. God sent us you, Adeline."

 "Wait so, I'm from a box. And you have no idea where I came from?" Adeline asked, confused.

 "Yes. I'm so sorry I had to tell you like this."

 "But I don't want to know about this. Why can't my life be normal? Why did you have to tell me, today, of all the days there are? My sixteenth birthday is supposed to be special, not this!" Adeline fumed.

 "I know. Why don't you go up to bed? It's been a long day," Her mom suggested. Adeline had always wondered why she looked different from her family, and it was all coming together. Her family was mostly made up of blondes and brunettes, with azure blue or chocolate brown eyes. Adeline wasn't familiar with anyone in her family with jet black, straight as a pin hair and emerald eyes.

 She grew up loving gothic horror stories and reading about witches. A few years ago, Adeline had an obsession with witches and tried to know everything she could about them. Adeline would lookup websites, find ancient books in a dusty corner of a library, and even go to tiny shops containing potions, spellbooks, and more. She became an absolute expert. Her family thought she was nuts. They were realistic, happy people who didn't enjoy spending time reading in a dark room.

 But as Adeline grew older, she began to leave the sorcery world behind. It now seemed lame and childish to her, like it was part of a fairy tale. Adeline wished she didn't know so much about witches anymore. Some teenagers from her high school made fun of her for it, while her teachers expected her to tell stories and answer questions. Adeline wanted to forget about her witch expertise for good, but that would be hard when her birthday cake was witch-themed.

Adeline stormed upstairs without another word and flung herself onto her fluffy bed. It was still early, and she wasn't tired. On her shelf over in the corner of her wall was her laptop. She pulled it out and logged in. After a minute of thought, Adeline knew what she needed to do.

 1:26 a.m. The blue light illuminated Adeline's weary face. Her eyes were strained and her mind was spinning.

 Five hours ago, Adeline had decided to find her birth family. She logged into website after website, checking birth records and everything. There was one possible match, after countless hours of research. She was waiting for a response from her possible birth mom. But for now, she was going to go to bed.

It was Saturday morning. An email alert popped up on Adeline's iPhone. It read,

"Hi, Adeline! My name is Hazel Weng. If you would like to meet me, come to New York Penn Station. Today, 2:00 p.m. sharp. I'll be waiting."

Adeline walked into the station. She looked down at her watch. It was exactly 2:00. Adeline looked around, hoping to see someone who might be familiar.

 A sharp fingernail tapped Adeline's shoulder from behind, and she whipped around.

 "Adeline?" The woman said.

 "Yes, that's me. Are you Hazel Weng?"

 "Oh yes, and it's so great that I found you! Bring it in, bring it in." The stranger gave Adeline a tight squeeze. She remained stiff until Ms. Weng let her go.

 "Come, come, I have much to show you. Oh, and call me Hazel."

 The women boarded a train taking off to Boston, Massachusetts. It was stuffy and cramped. The two tried to bond. They asked about where they lived, their interests, their future goals, the simple stuff. Once the train ride was over, the two exited. A car was outside waiting for them. Hazel had called ahead and ordered a cab.

 They were heading to Hazel's house off in Salem, Massachusetts. The Boston train ride was sooner, so Hazel decided they would meet there and drive the rest of the way. "So, you told me you were interested in witchcraft, correct?" Hazel asked.

 "Well, I loved magic and witches when I was younger," Adeline replied.

 "Good, good."

 Hazel plopped her purse on the kitchen table once she walked inside, then lit a calming scented candle. Adeline whirled around, scanning every inch of the room in awe. A neat stack of novels rested on a shelf, a fire slowly burned in the brick fireplace, and a black cat rested upon a gray couch.

 "Sit down, there," the older woman pointed to the couch. Throw pillows scattered the cushions and a lamp cast patterns across its surface.

 Hazel walked over to her shelf and grabbed a scarlet leather-bound book. It was dusty and ragged, so she had to take extreme precautions with handling it. She relaxed on a hanging chair with silvery cushions and black wire.

 "We have much to talk about. You might not realize it yet, but there is so much you need to catch up on." Hazel patted the book, then opened it to a page somewhere in the middle.

 "So, the idea of witches originated around 1000 B.C, but not everybody knows that. Witchcraft accusations increased in commonality around the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the time of the Salem Witch trials."

 "Why are we talking about witches anyway? I'm already basically an expert, I studied everything about them day and night," Adeline said.

 "Well, since you are such an 'expert', you ought to know that we are related to some very powerful witches.

 "What? You have got to be kidding."

 "Sorry, I'm not. This book has a list of the current birth line, dating back to Astra Halgbath, one of the first witches to discover black magic. You are in it. Once a witch or warlock in this family is born, the book automatically adds that person to its list. Astra put a charm on it so that our family could always find its way back to each other. " Hazel passed the book to Adeline, showing her the extensive record of names.

"No. No this can't be happening. You've got to be lying," Adeline stood up abruptly, startled. She began to walk towards the door when an invisible force seemed to block her path. Adeline felt weighed down to the floor.

 "Ah ah ah. You can't leave just yet. Sit back down Adeline," Hazel said.

 "You're not my mother, are you?" Adeline asked without sitting down.

 "No, I'm not. Your biological mother died shortly after you were born, and your father wasn't in the picture."

 "So how do I know you won't lie to me again?" Adeline stared into Hazel's emerald green eyes.

 "You just have to trust me. Now please take a seat, you are wasting time."

 With no other choice, Adeline reluctantly sat down and listened to the rest of Hazel's story. She described tales of witch origin, their behaviors, magic, power sources, supplies, witch trials, and their significance in Earth's society.

"In recent years, young witches have been tampering with their powers. They have sought out ways to enhance their abilities or change themselves and others. Many witches have contacted the Devil, which costs a fairly high price for some of them. But these witches have doomed us all. The Devil has made it his mission to take complete control of our kind. With contact to the human world, he will wreak havoc on every species alive. You are an expert now, whether you like it or not, and you will have a great influence on the fate of our world. You must be prepared to fight, Adeline. You can choose what you want to do with this information I have given you." Hazel handed Adeline a book full of information she just described and some details she hadn't mentioned.

 "You must resist the Devil and his power. You must stick to the original path of the witches. We are healers and magic workers, not power-hungry lunatics," Hazel sent Adeline off with the book, a bag of supplies, and an emergency contact.

 Adeline's head spun with the new information. It was too much for her to take in all at once. Adeline couldn't keep it to herself. She has to warn everyone, spread the word.

But how? Adeline wasn't a heroine, or savior, or anything but a dizzy teenage girl.

 "How can I do this?" She whispered to herself. Adeline was trying to distance herself from the magical realm, not bring herself closer to it.

 Adeline sat in the back of a cab, on her way back to her house. Even though she wished she didn't know so much, she did. And she was going to make a difference.

November 16, 2019 04:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Laurentz Baker
08:07 Nov 24, 2019

Good character development, nice build-up to the twist where the reader along with the character learns something crucial about who she is, what she is and her new responsibility. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.