0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

That group of 8 houses on the fringe of the city were in a gated enclosure named STILLNESS. The houses had all been sold to retired/old people. They were independent but with common service facilities including staff under a manager. A medical professional from a charitable hospital would visit once a day. There was a club house where residents could play indoor games. The club house also had a kitchen with chef, and residents could order food and beverages if required. There was a library inside the club house which was quite popular. All the houses in that compound were occupied except house No.5. House no.4 next to 5 was owned by Mr.Sampath whom I’ll refer to as ‘Sam’. Sam had retired from an exalted government post and lived in No.4 with his wife Mini. House number 5 had never been occupied.

That morning, Mini happened to peep out and saw a bald old man dressed in shirt over dhoti walking around the garden in No.5. She was surprised and told her husband “You won’t believe it! No.5 seems to have been occupied at last! Look through that window” she said pointing.

Sam looked and said “That house is said to be owned by the film star popularly known as “Villain” – the usual role he played in movies. I can see him. Only he has grown old.”

Mini said “I couldn’t recognise him. It takes me back a long time. He was the fellow who murdered his wife and made it appear that he had no hand in it. He had no children.” She thought a little and said “I remember having read somewhere he had bought this entire area in his heydays and then sold it to a real estate firm which built the houses and called it STILLNESS. That is how he must‘ve have got house no.5. Of course there was much gossip about him then.”

Sam said “I never used to read those magazines which you would. So my remembrance of Villain is hazy.”

“He was very popular once upon a time and had made a lot of money but he had police encounters too. He assaulted a film extra, was it somewhere abroad? She had claimed he had raped her. But he escaped punishment. The finance company.......”

Sam said “I remember Villain had floated a finance firm along with actress Lekha. That firm failed and many members of the public lost money. They said he was a cheat, a villain who cheated people in real life.”

Mini said “I remember having read that Villain had misbehaved with some female though I’m not sure about it. It could be true, He was a monster.”

Sam said “Again I say I don’t know as much about Villain as yourself. I remember having seen a few films he starred in and that is all.”

“If I can sit in contemplation for some time I could come up with more facts about that villain who was a monster in real life. My memory has vastly faded after reaching 80.” She paused and then said “It’s our misfortune that we have him as our neighbour. I wouldn’t even acknowledge a greeting from him. I hope we won’t run into him some time.”

“Don’t be prejudiced based on old warped memories. Gossip columns shape our views. We shouldn’t go by them.”

A couple of days later as Mini kept watching, a gleaming big car drove into No.5 and the attractive woman who drove it got down from the car. Villain came out shook her hand and taking her in closed the door.

Mini rushed to her husband and said “Our neighbour in no.5 is now with a young good looking woman. I wonder what is happening.”

“You’re stupid giving in to idle speculation. Could it not have been his granddaughter or other close relative?  He is now aged. Looking at him I will say any woman will be safe with him. In your mind once a sinner it is always.”

“I remember he was quite close with Lekha. She would appear in minimum clothes for sex-appeal while acting . And remember how Lekha looked then! She could then tempt even a diehard Godman.”

Sam laughed and said “Don’t be silly. Let Lekha appear clothed that way before Villain today and he would perhaps only get a heart attack! Give him the benefit of doubt considering his age.”

Two days later Mini said to her husband “Two young girls came to Villain’s house half an hour ago.”

Sam said “You’re imagining the old man is having an orgy inside. That’s how your mind works. For God’s sake don’t take that neighbour whom you hardly know to be a monster.”

A week later Sam said “Mini, I ran into Villain as I went for a walk. He wished me and made my acquaintance. A very well-spoken nice gentleman. He said he would like to meet all residents in STILLNESS.”

“I again say I won’t talk to a murderer who has cheated people of hard earned money. Besides he is still after women. Yesterday that woman who came driving a fancy car visited him again. She was with him within closed doors for over 2 hours. And you say that.........”

Sam cut in saying “We don’t know the truth about him and prejudge him because he is from the film world. I’m sorry about it.”

4 days later as Sam and mini were going to the Club house they saw 3 young girls outside house No.5. Mini said “Villain is surely seeking variety irrespective of age. You don’t believe me? I can read that man’s mind!”

They walked into the library and saw Villain reading a magazine. Seeing Sam, Villain got up and wishing him said “I suppose this is Mrs.Sam. Madam your husband would’ve told you about having met me. I was Villain of old days.” Mini had to reciprocate.

Except for the 3 the library was empty. Villain said “Why don’t you sit down. We could chat.”

Sam sat down and Mini followed. Villain used his phone and joined them. He said “I just tried ordering coffee for us but was told it would take an hour at least as chef has gone somewhere. I’m diabetic and so they normally bring in the coffee with sugar bowl and stirrers. We could have coffee together some other time.”

Sam said “Seeing you reminded us of the villain you were!”

Villain laughed and said “I’m not a villain in real life as I’ve been made out to be by the magazines and newspapers.”

Seeing the couple quiet Sam said “In fact in the last days of my life which follow, I’m making a clean breast of the truth behind my life.” He was silent a few moments and said “Have you heard of Shiny?”

Sam asked “Are you asking about the writer?”

“The very same. I’ve no ability to write. So I requested Shiny to write my biography. I’ve dictated a lot and it remains in audio form. Still she needs clarifications and comes to consult me. It is she who comes driving a fancy car.”

Sam said “She’s an acclaimed author in English and the vernacular.”

“ She offered to be my ghost writer but I rejected it. She is a kin of my late wife. In her book there will be the truth about all the untruths about me. I was accused of killing my wife due my closeness to Lekha. My wife died of cancer and I’ve built a school in her village in her memory. Lekha was more like a sister to me. I brought her into movies. She would always address me as “uncle”.

 He stopped and asked “I hope I haven’t bored you.”

Mini said “You’re so open. I appreciate that.”

“People say I was after women following an artiste accusing me of rape. She was an extra and wanted to get a part in a movie in the Philippines where we were shooting. She had approached the director and he had rejected her. She was told the director would listen to me if I recommended her. I refused and the shameless woman claimed I had raped her. I spoke to Godman, my spiritual leading light, not the present one but his predecessor who has passed on, and confessed. He gave me absolution. My ancestors have been devoted to Godmen of that religious order. I’ve great regard for the present Godman also. I’ve no children and have made my will giving away whatever I die possessed of to the mission of that Godman.”

Mini said “You’re remembered as the founder of a finance company..........”

“The manager we had appointed absconded with two hundred thousand rupees in cash when money was needed at festival time. The manager was located in Nagaland and was punished. All members were repaid their dues. We closed the firm. That will also be explained by Shiny.”

Mini asked “What will you be doing now that you’ve come to live here?

“I help students, particularly female, with scholarships, recommendations, and advice and guide them in general I’ve never been a womaniser. When my book is out, which will be done by Godman I’ll present you a copy. It will answer all the accusations against me.”

Sam said “Some visitors were at your door as we left our house. I suppose they were waiting for you.”

He got up and said “Thank you for reminding me! I had donated two new sewing machines to an orphanage and they complained about some items not having been delivered. I must go and sort it out. I’m sure we’ll be meeting often.”

Mini said “Surely. Come home. The coffee will be waiting with sugar bowl and stirrers!” Villain laughed.

END

December 02, 2020 10:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.