4 comments

Fiction Mystery Sad

"By the time I was outside, the leaves were on fire," Sapphire told her therapist.

"Then what did you see?" Dr. Green said, nodding.

"There was this little ball of fire, just, walking, er floating? around." Dr. Green went deep in thought about what to say to the doctors and Sapphire. She interrupted his thoughts when she got up and walked to the window.

"Doctor, it's outside," She said calmly. The doctor got up and looked out the window. He saw nothing, but people were either running away from the middle of the road or staring at, nothing? the doctor thought. Sapphire's hand gently touched the glass.

"For three years I was hidden from the world because they thought I was crazy." She paused as a tear slid down her cheek,

"But I'm not." The doctor looked at her.

"You can't see it, can you Doctor?" She asked him, but he didn't respond. Sapphire's hand slowly went back to her side and she looked at him with a sad expression on her face.

"You don't know what it feels like being trapped like I was. What's like for people to call you crazy in front of your face as if you don't even exist." She said under her breath, head-turning back to face the road.

"I feel pulled toward it, y'know?" Sapphire said as she turned around and left. She walked down the stairs and pass the lobby onto the street. She walked to the floating flame and touched it. It didn't burn her. It made her feel warm and happy. She felt safe. She felt like she had power over everything. No, she knew she had power over everything. She closed her eyes and thought of all the doctors, nurses, and therapists that said she was crazy. The people that trapped her. The people that hid from the entire world. When she opened her eyes she saw every single doctor, nurse, and therapist that she thought of. She gasped at what she saw. They were all huddled together in a cage. They looked scared and some looked paralyzed. That was the moment she went truly mad.

***

She got power-hungry. She turned the world upside down. She created a system. She made everyone stand in front of her and tell her if they saw the ball fire. If they said yes they would be allowed to continue their lives peacefully. If they said no they would be executed. If they lied she would know, but she would let them pass because their life depended on being able to see. Every child would be taken and would grow up in a special facility. Once they are 15 years old, they would be taken and asked the question. And no matter what, there was never any kind of mercy for anyone.

Until one day, when this little boy came along. He walked into her office with no fear. She was about to yell at the guards to tell her why a little boy was in her office when he smiled at her. She didn't know why it affected her, but it did. She picked him up and seated him on her lap.

"Why hello! Who might you be?" She asked gently.

"Benjamin," he whispered. Benjamin held up his hands,

"I'm five," he said louder. Sapphire looked at him in aw.

"Okay, Benjamin. Where is your caretaker?" She asked, with a smile tugging on her lips. He shrugged his shoulders.

"Okay, well, what room are you in?" Benjamin didn't say anything for a moment, thinking, then said,

"I think four, five, tree." Sapphire almost laughed,

"Do you mean three?" The little boy nodded.

"Okay Benjamin, can you stay here for a little bit while I try to find your caretaker?" Benjamin looked shocked then a little scared.

"NO!" Sapphire was taken aback by this answer.

"Why not?" She asked, uncertain.

"BAD MAN!" Sapphire understood what he meant by that and felt furious. She didn't know why she cared. She knew that some of the caretakers were rude and didn't really care for children, but it hurt her to see that such a cute and innocent kid could be hurt.

"Aw Benji, I'm going to go find him," She said, about to get up and put Benjamin down.

"NOOOOOO! STAY!" He yelled hugging her as tears started sliding down his face and onto Sapphire's shirt. She hugged him back and called for a guard. A tall female walked in and nodded with a straight face.

"Can you get the caretaker from facility sixteen, room four hundred fifty-three?" The tall woman stood still and nodded.

"And please take another guard so they can temporarily take care of the kids," The woman nodded again and left. About ten minutes later the guard came in with a slightly shorter man. Sapphire nodded toward the guard and the guard left.

"So you found the little rat, eh?" The man said. Sapphire got up and sat Benjamin back down on the chair. She walked toward him and he gave her a smile. She stood in front of him and slapped him. The man looked surprised and then he looked angry. Sapphire called for the guard again and in a few seconds the guard was back.

"Take him to the execution room and find somebody else to be a caretaker." The guard nodded and left with the man, who now looked scared. Sapphire went back to the boy and sat on her knees so she was the same height as him.

"Hey Benji, can I call you that?" He nodded with a smile on his face. "Okay, Benji, do you wanna stay with me or go back to the room with the other kids?" She asked him.

"I wanna stay with you," He answered with a giggle afterward. "Okay then I guess we should go to my house and get you a room set up," Sapphire said.

"Ya!" Benjamin agreed with a ginormous grin and some laughter.

***

Years pass and so Benjamin turned 15 and had to take the test. Sapphire is sure that he can see but is still a bit worried.

"Do you see the fire, Benji?" She asked. Benjamin's face went white, "Mom, I don't see it," he told her with a bit of a tremble in his voice. "Benji," Sapphire gently said.

"Am I gonna die?" He asked with tears in his eyes.

"No...no. I will not lose you," She assured him.

"But what about everyone else. It wouldn't be fair if I can't see but I won't die and everyone else who can't see will die," Benjamin said with a tear going down his cheek.

"Then I'll change the system. I don't care. I love you too much to lose you," Sapphire said embracing her son.

"I love you to mom," He said through tears. Slowly Sapphire, with some help from her son, took apart the system and made the world go back to how it was. Although many people absolutely hated Sapphire, she was happy. She had her son.

The only thing that mattered to her was safe and happy.

October 15, 2020 11:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Bella L
15:39 Oct 21, 2020

I’d love to see this story as an in depth movie! That would be crazy

Reply

Grace Sigurdson
01:02 Oct 26, 2020

I'd love to see it as a movie too! I'm really glad you like my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tim Law
00:25 Oct 24, 2020

Well done Grace. An interesting tale of dystopia. There are some grammatical errors but the premise of this story is solid and well told. I love that the child’s innocence is what changes the powerful protagonist’s heart.

Reply

Grace Sigurdson
01:03 Oct 26, 2020

Thanks, I'll make sure to check my grammar and I really like stories where there is just a single person who can help fix the world because that is what the real world always needs.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.