0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

‘The height by great men reached and kept/Were not attained by sudden flight/But they while their companions slept/Were toiling upward in the night.’ This is a great truism. The man Nero, despite considerable inherited wealth had worked hard in the jewelry trade for his considerable prosperity. He was descended from a line of four generations of goldsmiths, was a connoisseur of gold ornaments with a hoard of gold. He was now an old man and over the years had collected quite a number of rare antique gold ware including ancient gold coins.

Nero was a widower with no issues. Somebody had told him that the statue of the Venus of Willendorf would contribute to fertility. And he had acquired a likeness of the diminutive Venus, and making a larger one in gold had fixed it to his wife’s necklace. But it had not yielded the desired result.  Nero now lived alone with a manservant for help.

Since Nero had no surviving family successors it was generally believed he would bequeath his property to his nephew Rowley. Not that Rowley was needy. He was quite prosperous s heading his own plant producing medical formulations. But he longed to be even richer as Nero’s heir. Rowley would often visit Nero who lived in a large old fashioned country house. Rowley didn’t quite like to visit the old man but for the avuncular link as he was a recluse.

Though Rowley moved closely with Nero, whose age was nearing 80, the old man would not reveal his mind to his nephew. One night Rowley said to his wife “Pearl, I went to Nero’s house tḥis evening. He was his normal self, complaining of pain in his neck and shoulders. That is nothing serious as these are symptoms of his becoming stooped with age.”

She said “You’ve been saying similar things to me ever since we were married. You don’t even know the extent of his wealth.”

“I know he has gold bricks, several gold antiques some even from King Tut’s tomb. He has diamonds besides. He had been a good goldsmith in the past and had designed many gold ornaments which had sold at premium rates.”

“Again you’re only repeating what rumors say.”

Rowley thought a little and said “You remember the famous Israeli jewelry designer Rebecca Mendel? Why did she come to me? Because she thought she could use me to meet Nero.”

Pearl laughed and said “But what happened? Your uncle refused to meet her. He is very conceited and looks down on people even in the jewellery trade.”

”I won’t put it that way. He is a master designer and trader. Being top notch, what if he chose to be remote?”

She said “I don’t believe he has any affection for you.”

“Don’t say that. Remember we are the only ones he treats as kin. And we’re the only ones who are his guests at times.”

Pearl shrugged and said “Doesn’t make any difference.  You’ll never get to know his wealth and if he will give you any. Not that you need his money.”

“You can be sure he will leave all his wealth to me. He tells me about his ailments, about the medical treatment he gets and asks me about you. Don’t forget we are kin. Who else has he got to be his successors?”

Pearl said “You can perhaps succeed him but can’t replace him as you know nothing about the gold smith’s craft. Who will his business go to after he goes?”

“True. I don’t know if he has some assistant to whom he would transfer his business.”

“See the number of gaps in information about your uncle!”

“I’ll again go and see him tomorrow evening. I’m sure I can talk it over.”

The next day Rowley went and met Nero. As they talked Rowley asked “Uncle somebody must take care of your business after you.”

Nero laughed and said “Two years ago I sold it to someone who had worked for a while in Tiffany in New York. I’m free now.”

“I didn’t know that. You were appraising jewels once.”

“Of course. But now my eyesight has dimmed. My fingers aren’t that dexterous. So I gave up that also. Police sometimes used to seek my help when they had criminals who deal in non-hallmarked jewels and smugglers. But that is rare.”

The man servant brought coffee and tea cakes. Nero said “’I’ll have half a cup of coffee without sugar. No cakes for me. Diabetes is threatening!”

As they sipped coffee Nero said “Rowley, you know I had a girl Theresa to help me keep my papers in order. She was very competent and very helpful. I was told that she unfortunately died in a road accident. I’m looking for someone to help.”

Rowley said “Pearl is free. I can ask her to do it.”

“It will need going to my lawyer Dixit and the offices he is in contact on my behalf. “

“Of course she can.”

Nero said “Let me think about it.:”

Going home Rowley told his wife about Nero’s requirement and said “This is a golden opportunity you can’t miss.”

 Pearl worked for a few days with Nero and Dixit. She tapped Dixit and got a hint about the draft will made out for Nero and reported to Rowley “Nothing for you.”

In his anger and frustration, Rowley wanted to insult Nero. Nero’s 80th birthday was nearing and he, Rowley, had been invited. He ordered a gift and arranged for it to be sent to Nero’s residence when ready.

The birthday party consisted of only Nero, Rowley, Pearl and Dixit. The candles were blown, the cake was cut and they all celebrated. Nero was particularly genial towards Pearl and Rowley. Nero thanked Rowley for his birthday gift.

2 months later Nero suffered a heart attack. He passed away two days later. The funeral service was held with Nero in a beautifully made coffin. Then followed reading of Nero’s will:

Dixit solemnly ready it out: All antiques were to be handed over to the museum which should make the display with appropriate publicity. All gold and jewellery in stock to be transferred to pastor Victor of Nero’s church to be used for children’s welfare. A sum of rupees 55135.35 should be paid to Rowley.

Dixit said to himself “Nero had felt the anger and frustration of Rowley at not being included in the will. The latter had presented the coffin to Nero to insult him. Nero had found out from the coffin maker the costs incurred by Rowley and had refunded the entire amount. Of course I also had a part in hinting to Pearl earlier that Rowley wasn’t in the will prompting him to gift a coffin: Nero’s fidelity test! Nero’s opinion was Rowley was making enough money.”

END

                                                                                           .

February 12, 2023 03:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.