0 comments

Sad Drama

This story contains sensitive content

There are many ways you can move through life. Elyse, at 37, decided it was her time to move on from her mundane life and head out to find her true calling. The 37-year-old newly divorced schoolteacher was known in her community as a quiet and introverted woman. She had no children, and it was a good thing. She didn’t want to bring a child into the world that she knew. From the outside looking in, Elyse was the perfect wife, with a perfect marriage, a clean home and an outstanding thanksgiving spread. She was always in the front row at church hand in hand with her husband, David. But behind closed doors, David had mastered all the best ways to torture her mentally and physically without ever leaving evidence.

The moment David and Elyse were married, something went off in his head. He became enraged at the smallest things and Elyse went through a whirlwind of emotions. She tried to consistently keep up with his demands and when they weren’t being met, she was punished. Her punishments often were starvation and being locked in their downstairs basement. However, on days when David was one a different level, he would hold her head under water for minutes at a time and only allow her to come up for a breath or two before plummeting her face back into the bath. This would happen when David felt like her actions out in public were not up to his standards. Elyse was not allowed to speak or look at another man while in his presence.

One day, a student’s father came up to Elyse in the supermarket, he told her that she was such an amazing teacher and that his son finally likes school because of how much she helped him. He softly grabbed her wrist and thanked her before leaving. Elyse shuttered as she made eye contact with David who saw the whole thing. He left the cart and walked to the car. That night, was the first time David hit Elyse. And his rage left bruises that couldn’t be hidden, bones broken, and a bloody mess. He took her half unconscious body to their room and threw her on their bed. Then he raped her for what seemed like a lifetime. He wanted to make sure she knew that she was his and she did wrong by allowing another man to thank her and to touch her. He wanted her to know that he was the only one allowed to touch her.

Elyse quit her job the next day after regaining consciousness No notice. No letter, just a phone call letting them know she can no longer work there due to unforeseen circumstances. She knew that the amount of time she had for time off was not enough to allow her body, mind and soul to recover. She had no choice.

There is a knock on the door and Elyse flinches. She knows there is no way she could survive another brutal attack like the one she endured the previous night. She hadn’t seed David all morning and the house was eerily quiet. As she opens the door to her bedroom, standing before her, David, he breaks into tears at the sight of his “beloved” wife. “Elyse, I am so sorry” he says quietly fighting back what she can only imagine is guilt. He thinks flowers will fix this she thinks to herself. In utter shock, he reaches for her and her whole-body flinches. He takes a step back, and Elyse knows it makes him mad, so she reaches for his hand and accepts the flowers, even though just looking at him makes her stomach turn. Maybe, it was all just a complete misunderstanding and now that he has seen what he has done he will really start to change. She brushes that thought away as she sees the tears rolling down David’s face. “I’m okay” Elyse manages to breathe out. Knowing full well she is in no way okay. “I’m so sorry Elyse” are the only words he is able to muster up the courage to say because he knows that nothing could make this right. Nothing could take back what he has done to his wife.

It’s been six weeks and the tension in the house is palpable. David is getting to the point of irritability again and Elyse is on eggshells not knowing she must make her move fast. The last six weeks have been so difficult for her, David knows she is up to something and is watching her like a hawk. She knows her time is running out and she needs to leave as soon as possible. Everyday has been the same routine for them; wake up, Elyse makes breakfast, packs David’s lunch, and before heading off to work, he locks Elyse in their basement making sure she has no access to the outside world. While Elyse was locked away in their basement, she was coming up with a plan to leave. Everyday got easier and easier, she would make his lunch and force herself to give him a loving kiss before he would usher her to the basement. 

One morning, just as David was finishing his eggs, he announced that today Elyse didn’t have to go into the basement, but she was not to leave the house for any reason. Trying to hide her excitement, Elyse finished washing off her plate of food and looked over to give David a soft smile. She packed his lunch and gave him a loving kiss before walking him to the front door to leave for work. She waited, 10 minutes… 25 minutes… 30 minutes before running up the stairs to the bedroom she grabbed a handful of clothes, her hairbrush and toothbrush and was headed out the front door. As she opened the door with her bag in hand, a fist was the last thing she sees before her knees gave out and she hit the ground. Elyse mustered up enough strength to lift her head. The rage in David’s eyes was in human. She knew he would kill her if she went back in the house. She rolled out of the front way and jumped to her feet and ran. She ran as fast as she could, she could hear the David’s boots stomping close behind her, but she didn’t dare look back.

She ran until she could no longer hear David running after her. The only noise she could hear was the sound of her heartbeat and the ringing city around her. Elyse slows her pace and manages to look back. David is no longer in sight. She is out. She is free. She walks slowly to the towns only gas station. When she walks inside, her body gives out and her knees hit the ground. Shocked, the woman behind the counter jumps up and helps Elyse to her feet. She notices severe bruising on her face and around her neck. She immediately tells one of the customers to call the police and have them send an ambulance. Dehydrated and on the verge of sheer exhaustion, Elyse falls in and out of consciousness and the next time she wakes up she is in the back of an ambulance. She tries taking off her oxygen mask when a familiar hand is place on top, not allowing her to remove the mask. Making it known he is still there, and he is still in charge. Fear quickly turns to anger as Elyse begins thrashing around the ambulance. Surprised, the medics begin to restrain her while David sits smirking. The more she fights, the more they restrain her. But she does not give up. If she gives up, he wins, and if he wins, she is dead.

She slowly begins to feel weightless; did they drug me? No, I need to tell them David is dangerous, I was running away from him. When she wakes up, she is in the hospital, handcuffed to a bed. “You thought it would be that easy to just leave me?” David said from across the room. Even ten feet away, she could smell the booze on his breath. “It did not take long for someone to recognize who you were and when they called me, sure I thought I was going to jail, I thought it was over for me. Turns out, keeping you locked in that basement was the best thing. It ruined your stamina. Starving you and withholding water just made it easier for you to stay with me.” Elyse begins breathing faster. “Don’t think about hurting yourself either. Somehow you are carrying my spawn.” Elyse stopped breathing. No. No. No. There is no way this could happen.

For hours doctors come in and out of the room checking her, but Elyse is barely there. Fuzzy mind, blank and empty thoughts. Nothing she could say would make her feel right about the situation she is in. Finding out you are about to be a mother is supposed to be such a beautiful time, but those feelings are covered up with hatred, regret, and fear. David does not leave her side during her stay in the hospital. After four days, Elyse is discharged and sent home. A home that no longer feels right, no longer feels like a home, but like a prison with blank walls and broken dreams. David pulls the car into a parking lot not too far from their house. “Do you want to leave?” he says. Elyse looks at him confused Of course I want to leave why do you think I ran away. What ridiculous question is that!? Elyse looks at him silently for a few seconds before breathing out “Yes.” David puts the car in park, gets out and walks to the driver’s side. He opens the door, “Get out.” He reaches in through the back window and pulls out a duffle bag, Elyse realizes they are at a bus station, and he is letting her leave. “I cannot promise you that I won’t hurt you again. I have these horrible thoughts in my head and honestly if you don’t leave now, I can’t promise that it won’t get worse. I thought about it the whole time you were in the hospital, I enjoyed it too much. I know its hard to hear but just listen. I don’t want to hurt my baby, but I know that I will. I will hurt you and our baby if you don’t leave.” David starts shaking like he is about to cry. But he stands up straight and this time he raises his voice “Get out!” Elyse knows this is the last time he is going to tell her; the next time won’t be so nice.

As Elyse boards the next bus to her sisters she can’t help but think how lucky she is. Most people cannot get out of their abusive relationships, but her abuser gave her the opportunity to be a mother and move on from this chapter of her life. For that she is eternally grateful. She will always carry a piece of David with her, and she will always be thankful for whatever the reason was that he let her leave. 

November 10, 2022 15:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.