2 comments

Crime

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

The street was crowded with people going home from work, and everything was relatively calm, until a man interrupted the crowd. He was tall, middle-aged, and wearing an old, worn and red jacket. He was running down the street and pushing people aside, until he noticed a police officer. He removed his hat and turned around, but he changed his mind. He ran toward the policeman, waving: "It's great that I've noticed you.", he shouted. "You have to help me. I think someone is trying to rob my warehouse." The policeman looked at him. “I didn’t want to tell you, but I am too scared of these men. These two, they are the monsters. They've threaten me! They've chased me away from my property! But I cannot allow it, in this warehouse is everything I have”, he showed him the way. The policeman started running behind the scared man. "They are going to steal everything I’ve stored! And I’ve placed a lot of my stuff into this warehouse.”

He sounded desperate. “I had a decent job! I've been working long hours for years! Criminals! Filthy criminals!" The policeman kept quiet. Soon, they ran into a narrow side street and stopped not too far from a warehouse, where two men with black beanies stood by the opened door. They were taking boxes and placing them in some sort of a wagon. The policeman shouted: "Stop! Don't move!" The burglars took the guns. They hid behind a container, and after few gunshots they fled."In the name of the law!" The policeman ran after them, but they were already gone.

The boxes were scattered around the entrance, the door was wide open and the owner was looking it. "Thank you", sighed the weary looking owner while collecting the boxes and approaching the warehouse entrance. "You are a true hero! Our country is a safer place with men like you on our side.", his voice was a bit flat. He was in the warehouse gathering and searching the boxes.

"No need, that's my job", said the policeman, adding: "We should file a report. We cannot allow these two do this again, it's morally wrong." He prepared his pencil.

"We cannot, but somehow, I simply can’t blame the poor, it's not their fault. I guess I was bit revolted.", he replied. His eyes opened wide when he noticed the content of a tiny box. He smiled and placed it into his pocket and opened another. "We should file a report!" The policeman shouted. "You should! Besides, I am great at filing reports! I was the best in my class, in the whole generation!"

The other man, being too busy with the opening of the boxes, replied: "I appreciate your skills. All citizens do. And I see you are an honest man, but I am just too kind. I would really hate to see these two in prison. They are two poor fellows. I can't blame them." He placed the other box in his pocket as well and continued searching the warehouse. “I blame the society.” The policeman was thinking about his words. "I shouldn't allow it. And I really enjoy filing reports. But, you're right. That's really nice of you, they are probably poor. I am really moved by your kindness." The man smiled and opened another box. The policeman nodded and went away. The other man waved, smiled and waited until he was out of sight, and then he put his hat on and started grabbing the boxes and placing them in the wagon, while observing the street. When he was finished, he ran with the wagon, as fast as he could. After all, he had to hold the boxes and look around, and that was trully difficult. He got out of the street, and after running for few minutes, he left the wagon and run when he saw the other two waiting for him around the corner. “I will not be able to find another police officer“, he complained and ran by a cab.

Meanwhile, the policeman was walking down the street. He was standing in the midst of passers-by, with his writing pad and a pencil. "I am ready and prepared for diligent report filing." And then he saw them: another police officer and a few broad-shouldered men in white coats running toward him. "Ha, ha. I'm smarter than you. You will not catch me this time", he said and started running between the people in the street. “ They were dilligent as well. The burly man was surrounded by police officers and slim men. "Prepare the sedatives", he said. They continued the chase until he pushed some passers-by at them and ran into a department store. "Follow him! He must not escape!", said the man. They walked into the store, and after a few seconds noticed him having a small talk with a sales girl who was smiling and explaining something to him very politely. He jumped when he noticed them and ran up the escalator. They ran as well. He gave them some trouble because he pushed a few people down the escalator. 

They came to the first floor. "Where is he?" They noticed some strange movements by the women's clothing. He stood there. He was waving with a pink dress. He placed it on top of his uniform. "Why are you chasing me? I am a good girl!", he said and started running. They ran after him until he was surrounded. He grabbed another dress, a yellow one, and raised his chin up. "You can't treat me like this. I am a huge star!" He spoke a lot more about this unfair treatment, before he fell asleep. 

"Place him in a more secured cell, and assign him a personal guard. He must not go for a walk unguarded." They nodded. "We're lucky he wasn't aggressive.", said one of them before they locked him in a white van. "Yes, we are.", said another. "I suppose he's happier when he's wearing the uniform." They drove him away. 

February 02, 2022 05:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lynn-Marie Reed
23:39 Feb 10, 2022

Such a fast paced story! I liked the twist!

Reply

Lea Isamolea
15:08 Feb 14, 2022

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.