A Small boy makes a Difference

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

3 comments

General

There once was a small boy who lived in a town full of people with backwoods thinking. They thought they were the most important people , and anytime someone new showed up in this town they only lasted about a week because locals; who had been there for centuries prioritized themselves. All the children in the town were friends and stuck like glue to each other. one day a small boy , who was 5 years old , was walking with some friends when they saw a new kid they didn't recognize. The new kid walked up to the group to try and make friends. But, all the other kids turned to walk the other way, except the smallest boy. "Hello" he said to the new kid wanting her to feel welcome. She smiled and went to shake his hand, when suddenly he was jerked back. " Come on we don't talk to outsiders" his friend said in a snarky tone. The other's came back and started making fun of the girl until she began to cry. They told her that she needed to leave and never come back. the smallest boy was so ashamed and didn't know what to do . he watched the little girl sob as he was pulled away. A few days later he saw the new girl again. This time with her family. He wanted to try and say hi again, He opened the door to the shop and went in, but then he saw her parents arguing with some town folks and decided to walk back out. He felt her eyes on him but he couldn't bring himself to look up, he felt bad that he again didn't help her. Two weeks later he was outside the ice cream shop when he saw her again, this time she was being picked on by another kid from his kindergarten class. There was no way he would be silent this time, he couldn't' just walk away. As the other kid kept calling her names the little boy ran over and yelled " STOP!!!!" as loud as he could. The shop was full of families getting ice cream and everyone turned to look at him. The adults started whispering about who his family was and how dare they not teach their child the way of their town. " Leave her alone" he called out again, causing a gasp. Soon the little boy's parent's showed up they grabbed at his hand and tried to get him to go home with them. But he slapped it a way held on to the little girl's hand, he had enough of these people being mean. There was no reason for it other than its what the town had done for centuries " NO!!" he screamed demanding his little voice be heard. " It's not right to make fun of her for being new, and you are big, she's little." This made everyone gasp again. it was like he had sucker punched them. Adults were taunting this little girl who was 5 or maybe 6. The little boy continued, " I want to be her friend, and her mommy and daddy's friend. They didn't do anything wrong. They came here, Why can't we be nice?" The adults realized this small boy was right. They had been acting like children and this little 5 year old was acting like the adult. Soon the adults started shaking hands with the little girl and her parents. They welcomed them and helped them find jobs. The small boy and little girl became best friends and hung out at school and the ice cream shop and slowly his friends joined. months passed and more new people began to show up in town, it was a hard and slow change. Every time someone new came people tried to drive them out. Adults still bullied kids to the point of crying, most of the one's doing this were elderly that couldn't stand the stand having their way. These elders went around town throwing stuff at cars and even tried to catch the town hall on fire. The little boy had seen the fire and called the fire department before it got to big. He handed out water as they ran out. People started to notice that instead of violence the little boy used words and made his small voice heard. They noticed that while some adults used violence he didn't. He was making a difference little girl, who started his revolution started helping and soon the rest of the children did too. The adults slowly came around and the town began to grow and flourish. It grew so big it became the capital of the state. It had the lowest crime rates in the United States, because people started following the little boy's example. Years past and the little boy grew into an adult. He married the little girl who he helped when he was just 5 years old, and became the mayor of his city. He watched his city like a peaceful vigilante, every time someone moved he watched to make sure they wouldn't cause trouble, and if there was violence he was right there in the midst to do everything he could to stop it. He even volunteered at the fire department when he could. He donated to the police department, and worked at the children's center from time to time. He wanted to be sure to spread kindness when ever he could. One day, when he was in his office, which was rare, he looked out the window and thought back to when this city was just a small town and remembered how he made a difference using only his small voice in kindness instead of anger and violence and how that change made his town grow. He realized as just a small boy violence doesn't created change, it causes more pain . You had to be loving but firm and stand your ground. He was glad he stood his ground all those years ago and he hoped as mayor he could help these people do the same, and maybe even change the world .

June 05, 2020 20:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

15:14 Jun 13, 2020

WOW....Amazing story Janiene! I loved the way you described the boy! Loved your story!😁😉 Keep writing and have a great day Janiene!❤️️

Reply

Janiene Hopper
21:40 Jun 13, 2020

Thank you! ❤️

Reply

01:13 Jun 14, 2020

No problem Janiene! I'm glad to have read your story! :)))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.