Her Happy Memories

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write your story from the perspective of a side character.... view prompt

0 comments

Sad

I stopped in my tracks. My heart was pounding harder than ever, and my head was spinning. 


No, I thought. No. This can’t be happening. 


“-hwa? Jae-hwa? Are you still there?”




I perked up and slowly responded. “Sorry, Mom. I spaced out. I’m on my way now.” I ran to the car, turned on the engine and rushed over to the hospital. Tears gushed down my cheeks as I ran into the building. They ran all the tests. They said she has some terminal illness. She only has one month left to live. 


I slowly opened the door and saw my older sister lying on the bed. Mi-kyeong. You have to live. Solemnly, I sat down next to my mother. Five minutes later, the head doctor called us. 


“I already told you about her condition,” he began. “The only thing I can tell you now is to take her home. Make sure she lives her last days happily.”


“Are you sure you can’t do anything about it?” my mother sobbed. “We can take on any cost!”


“I’m sorry, but there is nothing we can do. Please take her home and take good care.”


My mother held my older sister and helped her into the car. We all stared at her queerly. It would be different without her.


“Oh come on!” Mi-kyeong said. “Why are you all so gloomy, huh? Let’s grab a coffee.”


The car halted in front of the coffee shop. Mi-kyeong started to order. I glared at her. How could she act like everything was fine? How could she pretend nothing happened? Once we arrived home, my mother let out a deep sigh and went into her room, with my father tailing her. My sister and I alone were left alone in the large hall. After a long silence, I began to speak. 


“Eonni,” I started. 


“Yes?”


“You also know what the doctor said. You only have one month. Why are you acting like 

everything is fine?” 


“What are you talking about? Everything is fine.”


“Sure it is. You have an illness, you’re going to die in one month, but no. Surely everything is fine!”


“Jae-hwa Kim!” my mother shouted, as she stepped into the room.


“No. Mom, it’s fine.”


She turned to me. “Jae-hwa, listen up. I only have one month left. I’m not going to live my last days crying. I’m going to live my life to the fullest. I want to make happy memories. So get ready,” she said, grabbing my hand. “Starting tomorrow. Better free up your schedule, Jae-hwa.”


That night I couldn’t sleep at all. I had so many questions. What exactly did she mean by happy memories? Starting tomorrow. Better free up your schedule, Jae-hwa. 


“Hm,” I said, quietly. “Let’s see what we’ve got in store for us.” 


*****


Beep. Beep. Beep. I slammed my fist on the beeping alarm clock and slowly got up. Ugh, 8:30 already, I thought. 


“Hiya, Jae-hwa!”


“AHHHHH!”


I slipped and fell on my back. 


“Ouch...”


“Sorry,” she said, holding back her laughter. “I didn’t know you would fall.”


Mi-kyeong offered me her hand. I took it and got up to my feet. Letting out a big yawn, I looked at my sister. She was in workout clothes. Uh oh. Please don’t make me workout. 


“Eonni, why are you all ready? In workout clothes that too...”


“Oh! We’re going hiking! Then we’ll grab bagels and coffee on our way back. After that we’ll go home and change. Then we’ll go out for lunch. Then we’ll go biking. After that-”


“Woah woah woah! Hold up. Did you leave any space today? Like any time at all?”


“Nope!” she answered proudly. “Better get used to it! Every day’s going to be like this from today onwards.”


“Summer break literally just started, why can’t you let me sleep...”


Mi-kyeong giggled and left the room. I glanced over at the table. She left sunscreen and a hat with a small note on the side. Make sure to wear these! It’s going to be hot today. ~ Eonni. I smiled, and then groaned as the realization struck. Guess there really is no escaping this.


“Ugh, this was supposed to be a lazy summer...”


I slipped into my clothes and trudged downstairs. To my surprise, my sister was sitting calmly on the couch waiting for me. It almost felt like a happy summer, like everything was alright. 


“Finally...” she said. “Let’s go!”


After we got to the top of the hill, we stopped and took pictures. 


“Hey, why are you taking pictures?” I said. “Right now of all times. Jeez, Eonni. My hair looks like a bird’s nest!”


“Haha, it’s fine. It’s just...”


“Just...what?”


“...Nothing. I just want to preserve all these memories. Say cheese!”


“Argh! Eonni!” 


The seemingly endless hike finally came to an end. We stopped at our favorite breakfast place and sat down. As our order was getting ready, Mi-kyeong stared at me. 


“What? Does my face look funny?”


“No. Just...did you have a nice hike? Did you like it?”


“...Sure. We can go with that. Ooh! Our order’s here!”


My mouth watered at the toasted bagel buns, and the creamy inside was even better. I took a large bite into the bagel and started stuffing my face, as if I hadn’t been fed for days. Yep, I thought. Asiago bagels are still as good as I remember. 


“Is it that good?” she chuckled. “I like the coffee better.”


I shrugged. After devouring the last piece of my bagel, I took small sips of my coffee and let out a contented sigh . 


“Awesome.”


*****


We headed home and showered. My sister started talking about all the wonders we would do, but as I glanced at my mother, I could tell how upset she was. Everyone was going to miss this sweet bubbly girl in the family. 


“Ok guys so-” Mi-kyeong began. The long day ensued, and it was clear how much she wanted to spend time with us. She really did just want to make happy memories. And I would never want to stop that. 


The next four weeks ensued in the same cycle. Going out and having fun became a must. And my sister was content with it. On Sunday night, we played a long game of Monopoly. The clock struck eleven, so everyone got up and went to their rooms. As I laid down on my bed, I couldn’t sleep. I remembered going to bed just four weeks ago and thinking how hard things would be. But everything was great. Everyone was still happy. 


The next morning, Mi-kyeong gathered everyone in the living room and went on about her plans for the day. I got used to the constant nagging at this point. 


“And Jae-hwa!”


“Y-yea?”


“Pay attention! One sec, let me get my bag. Then we’ll be all set. And once I come back, I’m going to quiz you Jae-hwa! So be prepared!”


I looked over as she disappeared upstairs. She’s too energetic for her own good. I sunk into the comfort of the couch and waited for Mi-kyeong to come back downstairs. She was taking an unusually long time. And then, bang! 


“What was that?” my mom said, getting up quickly.


My father, mother and I ran upstairs and went to her room. 


“Oh my god!” 


There she was. Lying still on the ground. Rushing her to the hospital was not easy. Everyone panicked. I was scared. We immediately admitted her into the hospital and sat outside, saying our prayers. Soon, the door opened. The doctor looked at my parents and shook his head with a frown.


My mother broke down into tears, and my father waited there comforting her. I went outside and sat in the car. I let out a big exhale and leaned back into my seat. I saw the odd pink phone case and grabbed it. Eonni’s phone. Unlocking the phone, I looked at her wallpaper. It was a picture of us both hiking. Clicking on the colorful icon, I scrolled through her camera roll. 


Slowly a tear fell down my cheek. And then another. And another. It wouldn’t stop. I couldn’t believe she was really gone. Even as I cried, I smiled at all the fun times. All the happy days. All her happy memories.










August 05, 2021 06:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.