0 comments

General

Leve felt his head heavy with a dream. He saw cakes and tapestries filling a royally rich room, music and light dancing between the ceiling and walls. The floor was covered with a soft carpet, comfortable enough to lay down and rest on. The beautiful archways and golden decorations lit up against the candlelight flickering against the lavish and lush lavender walls. He was content to live here in luxury, never having to work another day in-

“Wake up, you foolish boy!” Leve thrust his tired, crusty eyes open in dread. His desk was covered by his hair, unruly and dirty. His back and neck were as stiff as the chair, his books were open to the wrong wrinkled pages. 

Leve cautiously lifted his head, dreading to see the faces of his peers and instructor. He could already feel the scorn and ill intent towards him, he didn’t need to have another sense overwhelmed by it. He faced the classroom, his heart beating faster than he was accustomed to, perhaps this was good for his frail frame. The students’ faces were mixtures of haughty laughter and annoyance. Peers could be so cruel when they didn’t understand everything they saw.

“Come to the front of the classroom immediately!” Leve leaped out of his seat, plodding his way to the front as quickly as his sore, boney legs could take him. He turned and held his hands out, revealing his knuckles, already bloody and broken from the toll of rulers and various extracurricular activities. “Put those hands away boy!” in shock Leve shoved his hands into his holey pockets and stepped back. 

After a beat of silence, the teacher simply held out a letter to him. 

“I’ve arranged for you to leave school early, as you seem not to care about gaining an education. You may start an apprenticeship somewhere, giving them this letter of recommendation.” Leve stood in shock, unable to process what was being said. “If you don’t do it this way boy, you will never do it at all. Pick up your books and leave promptly.” Leve still didn’t move until the instructor stood in a fit of tight patience stretching. Quickly, picking up the books at his desk, Leve made for the door. “Boy!” He turned slowly, in fear, but saw the letter still in his instructor’s hand. Taking it, he left the school for the last painful time.

A normal student would be afraid of a letter like this, or a circumstance anywhere similar. But not Leve, Leve already knew how to handle himself. He already knew the job he was cut out for and was ready for it. He wished he wasn’t the boy he was, his job was not what he would dream of. It was a messy job with almost no pay or satisfaction. However, he was very good at it. A childhood of satisfaction with the subject had led him to an attempt at it and very abrupt employment. 

How he wished now that he had dreamed of better things as a child, such as being a doctor or a psychic. Now he was stuck, employed as a grave keeper, unfortunately good at his unfortunate job. 

This letter meant nothing to Leve, except that his father would kick him out. He also wouldn’t have to get up every day two hours after he got home from his job. His job required him to clean and care for the cemetery all night. It was an unusual job, especially for a place so frequently haunted. He had been able to keep the panic down that twenty people had failed to do before him. 

Leve started a search for somewhere he could stay, keeping his head about him instead of panicking. He searched for somewhere that he could stay away from cold air but would also be able to warm himself by the sun. The bridge, where most people resorted to, was bad for both of those things. He found an abandoned greenhouse, the rent sign hanging lopsided on the door, covered in rust and spiderwebs. Leve had dealt with worse.

The question came to his mind of whether being honest or just taking the space was a better idea. Deciding to be as honest as he could, instead of following in his father’s steps, he went to find the person who’s name and address were listed on the rental sign. He had a few dollars saved up and was going to get paid tonight. This time none of his money would have to go into his father’s greedy pockets. 

When he found the house it looked so broken down he almost didn’t try, thinking they were dead and gone. Perhaps, he thought, perhaps I have cleaned their grave in the cemetery. His determination was re-energized by the thought of his job, which, despite denial, was truly a great spark in his dim life. He marched up to the door with as much confidence as a skinny, poor grave keeper could. 

When he knocked on the door the sound echoed through the house, sounding as empty and hollow as it looked. An ebb of fear began to creep back into his conscience and Leve nearly took a step backward when a brilliant light ignited in the window. Suddenly the quiet windblown house nearly came to life with lights and sounds of creaking floorboards coming from inside. The door opened, creaking and scraping across the old torn rug inside. 

“Who are you,” asked a surprisingly young female voice. The girl poking her head out looked about his age with blonde curls hanging over a demure gown. Her eyes looked as tired as his limbs felt. Her cheeks were swollen with a pink glow, a direct contrast to the rest of her pale skin. 

“I’m Leve” Leve barely choked out of his sore throat. He used to be a talkative child but had grown to be a quiet, reserved young man. 

“Hello Leve, what are you doing here?” Her face looked concerned and he noticed that she had kept her voice down very low and quiet. She didn’t seem too concerned, however, and even offered a very small amount of smile in her warm worn eyes. 

At this point, without even thinking about it, Leve took a very small step back in unease. He recognized it and righted himself, squaring his shoulders. 

“I would just like to talk to a Mr. Tod Frieden,” Leve said with a calm voice. She shifted, visibly uncomfortable.

“My grandpa is very old and is sleeping right now,” which described the quiet about her, “but you can come back later tonight. His sleeping patterns are strange, which would mean you would need to come back much later.”

“How would very early tomorrow work?” He knew he couldn’t lose his job by not showing up tonight, but he would be done at work by three and could come straight back. 

“He’s awake from seven ‘til four through the night, if it fits in there you can come to try again.” She smiled comfortingly, and Leve nearly missed the coincidence of her grandfather only being awake during his usual times of working. He nodded his thanks and walked back down the cracked steps back to the street. 

He would have to leave his backpack somewhere for the night, but he couldn’t risk losing the books in it. He planned to sell them if things ever got too hard, but decided to save that for when it was an emergency. 

After stowing his backpack in one of the bushes outside of the abandoned greenhouse he made himself a makeshift bed on the grimy dirt beneath a tree nearby. He slept for a few hours, waking up at the time he was attuned to and headed to work. 

His expertise in such a sneered at profession was something Leve was not proud of. He never went directly to the cemetery, always finding a way he hadn’t previously gone, in order to not arouse suspicion. He worked tirelessly to clean and make the graves nice, keeping the spirits at bay. He worked hard on every individual grave, his tired hands accustomed to the toil. Each grave was on a rotation, meaning they waited nearly a full month between cleanings. That didn’t always please the spirits there, but Leve had a way of being able to keep his head instead of running from their non-lethal attempts to scare him away. 

After he had made sure every piece of his job was complete he was able to leave, accepting his nightly pay from the early morning shift worker. He was at least paid daily, on account of their fear he might not survive the lost souls to get to a weekly paycheck. 

He quickly sped out of the cemetery without fear of being noticed in the early morning darkness. After a swift jaunt to the house of Mr. Tod Frieden and his granddaughter, he adjusted his clothing to look their best. He walked up to the now fully lit house and knocked as he had before. This time, however, the girl didn’t answer the door slowly. Mr. Frieden himself answered the door with unexpected speed. He was a spry and skinny old gentleman, a big smile and the same weary eyes as his granddaughter were the most notable things about him and they served him well. Looking as humble and kind as an old, unfamiliar old gentleman could, Leve’s confidence bolstered. 

“Mr. Tod Frieden?” Leve asked, trying to sound as authoritative as his demanding instructor. 

“Aye, that be me!” The old man said in a voice that was wholly inappropriate for the sleeping neighbors. “Aye, and what be ye? And what does ye want?” Mr. Frieden had an accent as unfamiliar as it was familiar. 

“I’m here to inquire about the greenhouse you’ve listed for rent,” Leve tried to keep seeming authoritative and professional, knowing that any less could get you nowhere in this bustling world. 

“Ah! I had quite nearly forgotten about that place! Well, are ye lookin’ to place a wager on the joint?” After seeing Leve’s confused look in response, the old man just laughed. “Oh sonny, nearly forgot I didn’t speak as ye must think I oughter. Well, I will try again. Would you like to rent my greenhouse?”

Stumbling in his brain to catch up Leve responded, “Yes, sir. If that’s allowed?”

“Allowed,” he laughed, merrily, “why sonny, that’s why it says rent on the sign!” Leve was slightly confused but quickly moved past it. 

“How much would it cost to rent it?” Leve was worried about this question but knew he should ask it quickly before he got too attached to it. 

“Why, I think maybe a dollar for that old place, yes, a dollar a month!” Leve was shocked but tried to hide the shock, afraid that Mr. Frieden would retract the ridiculously low offer. 

“I would like to rent it then. If you are willing, I can pay the first month right now,” Leve responded, hoping to seal the deal before he could lose it. 

“Of course, me boy, of course.” 

-

-

-

After years of living in the old greenhouse, Leve had cleaned the place up nicely. He kept working at his job, still unwilling to admit the satisfaction it gave him. He saved meticulously and visited the Frieden’s often to have a warm meal after his night in the cemetery. Mr. Frieden’s granddaughter, Dormi, was constantly a marvel to Leve and he let his feelings grow very strong for her. 

As time wore on them they all began looking to the future. Leve finalized his plans to marry Dormi and was also going to offer to buy Mr. Frieden’s home from him and move in there. Everything was going perfectly for his life. He was grateful for his old instructor and the dismissal he was given. He was still unsure, insecure, and unsteady about his job. Over all of the years with the Frieden’s he had kept his profession a secret. 

He approached the Frieden home with flowers and a ring, all bought with his saved money. He knocked on the now nearly decayed door and waited for Dormi to open it. It was daytime and Mr. Frieden would still be asleep for a few hours. She opened it and ushered him in and they went to the kitchen to prepare food. 

He had already asked Dormi if she would be willing to marry him. They set a date for her to ask Mr. Tod Friedman and he had gotten his first night off in 15 years. The night was here and he was ready, he squared his shoulders like he had at such a young age and prepared for when Mr. Friedman’s rest would end. 

Upon entering the room both men were happy to see each other and greeted one another as old friends, which they were. They sat and talked, eating the delicious food they had prepared hours before. When they were both merry and in high spirits, Dormi left the room. 

“Mr. Frieden,” Leve prepared himself for the following words, “I would like to ask Dormi to marry me, can I have your permission to do so?” The end of his words came out a little jumbled, but they were more excited than nervous. 

“Sonny,” Mr. Frieden chuckled, “you can take her to the end of the world if you answer one question.” Leve was a little confused and taken aback by the agreement, but nodded his head. “What do you do?”

“I’m sorry?” Leve was unsure what he meant, did he mean what his hobbies were? Did he mean what he wanted to do? He hoped he didn’t mean-

“What’s yer job?”

Leve was unprepared to answer the question, being a successful businessman would have been a great answer. But Leve didn’t know anything about business. He knew everything about cemeteries and ghosts and cleaning. He was an expert at keeping his head in paranormal situations and was embarrassed to say so! So embarrassed that he nearly got up and left, thinking of ways to get out of town and never come back. 

But Leve’s tough profession had taught him to stand his ground, so he never gave up. He squared his shoulders, looked Mr. Tod Frieden directly in the eyes, and said, “Mr. Frieden, my profession is not one I am proud of, but it is one I am good at. I hide my job from the world because I know it’s scorned. But, if it won’t change your answer about me marrying your daughter, I will answer.” Mr. Frieden nodded. “My job, though it be bleak, is as a grave keeper.”

Mr. Frieden let out a boyish giggle, and then a hoot. Confusion shot across Leve’s now handsome and well-kept face. 

“Sonny, I was hoping we had that in common for our youths!” Leve’s jaw dropped in bewilderment. “I assumed from the hours that you were working my old job and I could feel from your similar mindset that we were brothers in the work. ‘Tis not a work to be ashamed of, however, but laddie it took me a while to understand that meself. Keep up the good work boy, marry me daughter, come live with me, keep going in your expertise and one day you may be a king of the world. Don’t be ashamed, be proud of your ability to do what most cain’t. I’m proud of ye sonny.”


November 13, 2019 00:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.