0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

The suburb of Rumming was a nice extension to the city which had developed well. Vacant land was scarce in the area and when demolition of an old government building provided a large open ground there were two contenders to buy it. One was Typhoon the real estate developer wanting to put up a high rise structure. The other was a medical trust wanting to open a medical college and hospital in that location. Commissioner Rick was the person negotiating with buyers for the sale.

The talks had reached a critical stage and Rick had to decide between Typhoon and the medical trust. He was to have a final discussion with the representatives that morning. Lawyer Helen representing the trust would be the first to appear at 9 AM before office started whereas Typhoon was scheduled to come at 10. Rick’s secretary Leela had already arrived. She was young and was dressed in pants over which she wore a plain top to highlight her contours. She had a smiling face and was tall and fair with her shoulder length hair flowing over her back and shoulder. Rick was middle aged and was paunchy with a moustache and was partially bald. Rick had told security to permit Helen and Typhoon to step in when they arrived. As Helen who was early entered Rick’s office she saw Leela in the arms of Rick through a glass partition and he also noticed that Helen had arrived.

Rick welcomed Helen and said “Helen please sit down.” He was rubbing a stain on his shirt in front using a tissue. He said “My secretary Leela slipped and fell as I was entering my office from the toilet. I helped her up and have to clean up the stain.”

Helen said “I’m glad that though you’re in such a high position you helped Leela up. I hope Leela isn’t hurt.”

“I didn’t ask her as you were waiting. I’ll attend to her later.”

The discussions took time and Rick finally said “We’ll take a decision soon.”

As Helen left she saw Typhoon come in with his assistant who was carrying a large bag, besides his lawyer and wished him.

Typhoon said “Helen how does it stand?”

Helen laughed and said “Rick said he is very busy preparing the budget for his department. I suppose he’ll decide after budget proposals have been finalised.”

“Let me see how I fare. Bye for now.”

 Typhoon and the others wished Rick. Typhoon’s lawyer said “We’ve brought a new proposal. Instead of your selling us the site my client is willing to consider a lease for a fixed period.”

The matter was discussed further and Rick said “I’ve all your details with me. Since this is a large value deal I will discuss further with my officers and let you know.”

A fortnight later it was Friday and Rick called Helen to his office. When she came he shook hands with her and said “Your proposal has sailed through. Your trust can start work from the first of next month.”

She thanked him and there was some small talk. As she rose to go she asked “How is Leela after the accident? I saw she is at her desk outside.”

“She is fine. She told me she has been army trained while in college and that she could easily get over minor accidents.”

On Saturday evening the Chief of Police (COP) was preparing to go home. It had been a long day looking at public disputes with police, and answering the minister in charge. He was looking forward to going the next day with his wife and daughter for a ride on the new high rise Ferris wheel installed in the amusement park. His phone rang.

It was the Inspector of the Rumming division police station. She said “Sir, I just got the news that the Greens political party will organise a protest tomorrow. It is said to be to get our chief minister to urgently investigate the bribery charge against cabinet minister Raja.”

“Greens have nothing to do except to protest! They could change their name to Protest party. How

is the situation there now?”

“Peaceful. I went round the area and found everything normal.”

“Okay. I’m happy I was told by the provisioning officer that more tear gas rounds have been sent to Rumming and 3 station areas near you.”

“Sir may I go home now? My relief has already arrived.”

“Okay.”

COP got into his official car and the driver started. Half way to his house he got news that a Greens procession was marching towards Rumming. He had no notice of a procession and hoped things would be peaceful. He was sure his staff would have everything under control.

Within half an hour the procession reached Rumming and before leaders of Greens party could address them, there was pandemonium as someone had thrown a brick at the procession. Within minutes a petrol bunk was set on fire. The police arrived when they were hit by a hail of stones. The school building was extensively damaged. Shops which couldn’t close immediately were looted. A leading jewellery store escaped as its shutters came down by electronic control. It had been planned for such an eventuality. Police fired tear gas successively and still the riot continued. COP was asked if police could open fire on looters. Before a decision could be taken, Police blocked a tractor trailer loaded with stones for the protestors to use. And rioters having exhausted the available stones, scattered. COP spent the next day preparing a report on the riot. Three men were killed in the  stampede. 10 people had suffered assorted injuries and 3 of them were in a serious condition.

Government ordered an inquiry into the Rumming riot with Irene, a former minister as chairman. Police sought time to prepare the evidences and appear which was granted. When the hearing started Irene asked “What was the cause of the riot?”

The COP said “There was a procession and someone threw a brick at it and the riot started.”

“Why was there a procession?”

“The Greens party took it out without notice. It was ostensibly to urge government to urgently look into a charge of Greens having bribed minister Raja which they said was a false allegation.”

COP said “Madam, our intelligence says that the procession was started by businessman Typhoon as he felt he had been discriminated in not having been sold Rumming land. He it was who to vent his anger had provoked Greens to riot using their plaint against government.  It was all done suddenly without media coverage,”

Irene asked “Have you any evidence of Typhoon’s involvement?”

COP said “Police had blocked a tractor trailer carrying stones to be delivered to the rioters and the driver said he had been sent by Typhoon.”

“Apart from word of one tractor driver, is there any concrete evidence to show the riot was caused by Typhoon?”

COP said “No.”

“Why was the riot confined to Rumming?”

“The open ground there which has now .been sold to a trust is the usual venue for political meetings and the riot happened there.”

The head of Greens party said “There is not a scrap of evidence to show that my party had started a riot. Typhoon isn’t our party member and if he has lost some deal it is his private loss. Our procession was to urge the government to urgently enquire into bribing of minister Raja. He hasn’t taken any bribe from us and we’ve been falsely implicated. Greens have never offered a bribe to anyone for any purpose.”

Irene asked “Was there any wrong doing in land being sold to the medical trust instead of to Typhoon?”

COP said “Dr.Jay who presently heads the trust will now depose.”

Dr.Jay said “There was no wrong doing. Our trust is a charitable organisation and works to uplift health of the poor.”

Typhoon’s lawyer said “Instead of total sale our company had proposed that the land could be given to us on lease and taken back say after 99 years. Then the land would’ve returned to government. That aspect was ignored.”

 Rick’s lawyer said “Rick had also raised that angle and we had said that something charitable would continue to flourish in perpetuity and there would be no need to hand back the land. This was examined by the honourable minister of health who approved the sale of the land to the trust.”

COP said “Some dissatisfaction no doubt existed in effecting the sale but It has been done without any fear or favour.”

Irene said “I’ll make the report on this inquiry.”

She concluded the report saying ‘Typhoon appears to have been disaffected by the sale going to a trust. It was not proved that he had a hand in rousing the Greens. A peaceful procession was disturbed by some malcontents heaving a brick at the procession and that caused the riots. Government has announced compensation to the dead and the injured in the riot. There was no need at all to have linked the commercial deal of a piece of land with the riot. The ends of justice have already been adequately met. Greens have been advised not to form processions without prior notice.’

Helen who had been following the matter was no doubt happy about the outcome. She said within herself “I went in to see Rick moments earlier than expected when I saw he had lifted the fallen Leela. No doubt. If he had been my husband and had fed me the story about Leela having slipped and fallen and that he was helping her up I wouldn’t believe it. My silence has told a white lie : I wouldn’t buy his story but would still not expose him to protect the honour of the woman! I can see in my mind’s eye his fondling Leela as he had held her! He had been very clever in silently making me acquiesce in his handling Leela while managing to sell the property to my clients. I pity Rick’s wife who has dust in her eyes but a very clever husband! I’m sure Leela would have a good future at work as long as Rick was in service!”

END

August 16, 2021 04:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.