0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

Dr.Meston, nobelist and head of research was in his chair to interview Sylvie. He looked appreciatively at the 23 year old who had qualified as an extra talented scholar. She was tall, good-looking and neatly dressed.

He said “I’ve gone through your application and I’m satisfied. What would you like to work on?”

“I would like to work on creating new drugs for Alzheimers.”

“You aren’t a medico but excel at pharmacology. Are you aware that Alzheimers is a progressive neurological disorder that causes the brain to shrink and brain cells to die causing a decline in thinking, behavioral and social skills? And that women are more prone to get the disease.”

“I’ve studied the medical aspects deeply and am aware of all aspects of the disease. I’m also aware that its treatment is a challenge to medics who are seeking new drugs to combat the disease.”

“It would be a formidable task for you too. I hope you’re aware that prestigious drug companies are in competition for the cure since years.”

“I’m. I propose making a sustained serious attempt to combat the disease.”

“Good. Welcome to my lab. You’ll head the team you choose. You’ll have access to our animal house.”

Sylvie took her job seriously working long hours. After about 6 months the course of her work took her to meet Dr.Kane a neurosurgeon in a reputed hospital as he had made observations on brain cancer and Alzheimers. He was 30 and was tall and athletic. He was handsome with a smiling face, a big moustache and sideburns. His hair had started receding. It was love at first sight for Sylvie. She noted there was no ring on the finger and rightly assumed he was a bachelor.

Sylvie’s interaction with Kane went on over several visits and the two got to know each other well. Talking to her he was also impressed by her depth of knowledge in the medical field. That day he said “There is a home for Alzheimer patients in……..”

“If you’re referring to the Madox I know. I’ve visited it.”

He laughed and said “You’re right. You seem to have answers to everything. There seems to be notḥing I could enlighten you on!”

She said “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to show one upmanship.”

He said “No apology needed. No harm done. In fact I’ve been very impressed with your extent of  knowledge.”

The two got to know each other very well and even shared dinners. Another six months had passed. One day he introduced a lady to Sylvia saying “This is Valentina. Just joined me in service in the ḥospital. She beats me hollow in brain surgery.”

Sylvie studied Valentina closely. She was tall and attractive and had a faint down where men would have a moustache. Valentina seemed a commanding type. Sylvie wished Valentina hadn’t joined Kane. She continued her work day and night to find the right formulation to combat Alzheimer.

Sylvie reported to Meston “Drug formulation V-72 helps but V-90 is more effective though it has side effects. I’ve made a report.”

“I’ll go through it. I’m very glad your work is progressing well.”

Sylvie wanted to tell Kane about the good progress she had made in her work. She called him and said “I haven’t seen you in weeks.”

He said “I thought I told you that Val went on leave and hasn’t returned. It seems she had met with a road accident.”

Sylvie was alarmed by his use of his colleague’s shortened name. She said “Come to dinner at Gesuippes tomorrow night. I would like to talk to you.”

He said “I’m a little tired since I’ve to handle all cases in Val’s absence. Okay I’ll be there at 9.”

At the dinner venue he looked a little haggard. They had cocktails and she said “What shall I order?”

He was strangely elusive saying “My work is overwhelming. I’ve no appetite almost. Anything you order is okay for me.”

It was a small eatery and the chef himself helped her choose the menu.

As they waited for the food, she saidMeston has appreciated my work.”

He merely listened.

She asked “Why are you so listless?”

“I’m worried about Val who has been in the accident. I would’ve liked to visit her as she is a valuable colleague. But I know I won’t be given leave as work here is heavy.”

She asked “Is your concern for the valuable colleague or is there something more?”

He was silent.

She said “You haven’t answered me.”

He said “You see we work closely together. She is even better than me and I had started relying on her more and more.”

Sylvie said “I suppose you said to her we should make a permanent bond.”

He was silent and she again prompted him: ”I suppose what I said rings true.”

He sighed. “Now I don’t know her condition. The worry is killing.”

Sylvie suddenly felt she was with a stranger. The food arrived and they ate without further conversation. Her mind was filled with fury for Val. Why did that cursed woman come to spoil a true bond in the making? Her mind was still partial toward Kane.

They finished dinner largely in silence. As they got up to leave he said “No hard feelings. I’m your friend always.”

She said “I do hope she recovers. Also I wish you both all happiness. Good night.”

Two more months passed with Sylvie steeped in her work. Her drug formulations had been administered to volunteers and she sat evaluating the outcome. Suddenly she realized that in 3 cases of females she had given a mix of V-72 and V-90 instead of V-72 alone. She was stunned to see the remarkable improvement in the 3 cases with no side effects. She knew she had succeeded in her fight against Alzheimer! But she wasn’t in a celebratory mood. She even put off telling Meston about the outcome of the drug trials. She had suddenly become morose and indifferent to praise. She wondered if she had become an Alzheimer patient herself!

After she had submitted her final drug report with all tests and volunteer data, Meston congratulated her. He said “You’ve done well and are almost in sigḥt of the Holy Grail as they say. Persist in refining your results.”

The drug manufacturing firm gave her a holiday for two at any destination she chose. She was invited to a seminar on the drug where she would be honoured. But nothing would lift her out of her gloom.

Suddenly she received this message: ‘Val has resigned and has chosen someone else to marry. Can I propose to you? Kane’

She was suddenly lifted out of her gloom. She asked herself “Why did he message me? He could have formally proposed to me and I would’ve accepted. I will message him back without formally accepting him. Her message: ’Have holiday offer to any destination for two. It will be our honeymoon. Sylvie.’

END

November 28, 2022 04:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.