My group of school friends

Written in response to: Set your story on the eve of the first day back at school.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship

Once upon a time, in a small village nestled among rolling hills, a sense of anticipation filled the air on the eve of the first day back at school. Summer had reluctantly made way for autumn, and the children were buzzing with excitement for the adventures and knowledge that awaited them.

In the village, a group of friends named Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max couldn't wait to reunite after the long break. They had spent countless summers playing together, exploring hidden paths, and creating their own little world of imagination. However, with the first day back at school upon them, they knew their carefree days were coming to an end.

On the eve of their return, Lucy's parents invited everyone for a gathering. They transformed their backyard into a magical wonderland, with twinkling fairy lights, vibrant colors, and scrumptious treats. The children arrived, marveling at the sight before them. They ran towards each other, sharing laughter and warm hugs, grateful to be reunited.

Lucy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, encouraged their young guests to soak up the last moments of their break. They knew the school year would bring challenges and responsibility, so they planned an evening full of games, stories, and laughter to help ease the transition.

As dusk fell, the children gathered around a cozy bonfire. Under the starry sky, Mr. Anderson started a mesmerizing tale about a lost treasure hidden deep within the village. Wide-eyed, the children listened intently to every word, their minds conjuring vivid images of adventure and mystery.

Amid the story, a mischievous gust of wind stirred playfully among the trees. Whispers of an ancient legend brushed against their ears, deepening their fascination. The legend spoke of a magical object that, once found, could grant the beholder a single wish.

Curiosity consumed the friends, and they grew eager to uncover the hidden treasure and witness the magic for themselves. With their eyes shining bright, they made a pact to find the object, promising to support and protect one another during their quest.

Under the moonlight's gentle gaze, they ventured into the night, following clues and riddles left by previous questers who had tried their luck. The village seemed transformed, as though secrets whispered through its every nook and cranny.

Guided by intuition, they meandered through narrow alleyways, old abandoned houses, and quaint gardens. At each turn, they found new wonders, discoveries that amplified their faith in the legend.

Determined and fearless, they followed a clue that led them to an ancient oak tree at the edge of the village. High above, a branch draped with leaves that shimmered like gold seemed to point them towards their prize. Climbing higher and higher, their hearts pounded with anticipation, their hopes lifted by the prospect of miracles.

Finally, the children reached the golden branch. Carefully, they plucked a single leaf, watching in awe as it transformed into a tiny pendant, pulsating with enchantment.

Knowing their wish might never come true if not selflessly used, Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max decided to return to the bonfire and consult with Mr. Anderson. As they explained their quest, their hopes, and the power they held in their hands, a mischievous smile played across Mr. Anderson's face.

He revealed that the legend was, in fact, a story intertwined with a profound lesson: the true magic lay not in the granting of one's wishes through external means but in the love and support of friends and family—a treasure far more valuable than any other.

On that eve, the children returned home, their hearts bursting with gratitude for the incredible adventures they had shared. The next morning, as they gathered outside their school gates, anxieties and fears melted away in the knowledge that they were not alone. Armed with love, friendship, and the memories of their remarkable quest, they stepped through the doors, eagerly embracing the journey that awaited them within. During class, there were many different children who were new and needed friends. Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max all gathered around the new students and showed them around the school, and walked with them to their new classrooms. there were many new teachers who filled each classroom with eager students. They all wanted to learn. At recess, everyone gathered outside to see the new playground swing sets and a merry-go-round. Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max were first on the swings, and after they were through they let the new students swing too. they all had the time of their lives laughing and riding all the new playground equipment. After recess, it was back to the rooms for more learning. Reading writing and arithmetic. At last, the bell rang to go home. it was a wonderful day. the students all gathered together and existed the school to catch their busses. they sang songs all the way home. Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max loved to sing and they started with the song"The Children on the Bus Go Up and Down Up and Down Up and down the Children on the Bus Go Up and Down All through the Town" all the others sang along until each one got off the bus then there was only Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max . they all got off the bus together. Each one gave each other a hug and they walked to their homes. What a joy it was on the first day of school. We can not wait until tomorrow, and we can do it all over again. Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max slept that night with the anticipation of the next day when school started back up. they were so tired from all the playing and all the new playground equipment. As the morning came Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max hurriedly got their clothes on and got ready for school. As they walked to the bus all the new kids were there. they all hugged and each one got on the bus. Arriving at school there were other new students just arriving. well you know Lucy, Thomas, Mia, and Max ran swiftly to them and greeted them with joy. All the new students were not as nervous anymore because Lucy Thomas Mia and Max made them feel welcome. Every day seemed like it was the first day of school because of the many kids signing up to go to school. Be true to your school.!

September 01, 2023 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.