0 comments

Fiction

"You're so pretty! Oh my, what's your name!?" Alan was overjoyed looking at this new person. His eyes sparkling at the idea of meeting someone new, and as gorgeous as she.

“Hi..” she smiled weakly, “I’m Unity.” Unity looked at the strange boy which had randomly come up to her. Looking him up and down, “Do you need something sir.?” she asked eyes still moving. 

“No ma’am, I just thought you were very cute today and I wanted to say Hi. You look like somebody who would be good at a lot of things, you’re so perfect, your name even means in Harmony!” 

“Excuse me?” Unity cut him off. “Can you please slow down. I don’t know you.” 

“Oh, apologies madam, my name is Alan.” He took a bow grabbing Unity’s hand. Before she pulled it away, “Please don’t touch me.” She wiped her hand off on her skirt. 

He looked down noticing just how she might’ve felt about him, standing there in something very far from her attire. A baggy and stained white shirt, stretched into a V-neck from wearing it, jeans ripped from work and not fashionable like she was wearing. His greasy and heavy hair becoming more apparent to himself. 

“She’s beautiful,” he thought. “With her long flowing hair wavy but not curly, eyes outlined with careful kindness and freckles which coated her face softly like sprinkles, A long silky dress which seemed to be made from only the finest for her, when she walked it stayed just above the ground, so perfectly that not a flaw could be seen on it anywhere. 

“Why are you staring at me sir?” Unity asked, crossing her arms defensively, he noticed her eyes darting around skittishly. She wanted to get away from him, and he could tell. 

“I’m sorry m’lady.” He backed up one step at a time, slowly and carefully. He was afraid he would make it worse just by moving to fast, he had clearly made her uncomfortable and he knew it. 

He couldn’t have been more wrong. 

… 

Unity sighed. “Why can’t I just be normal like everyone else? I hate looking like this, it’s not me.” She tugged at the skirt she had worn out to obey her parents. 

She was walking down the street, such a crowded area, yet she felt so alone and misunderstood. When she had bumped into somebody on the street. 

He was over-eagar, it set off a red flag in her mind. He had started talking right away and she could barely make out what he had said, she heard a jumble of words and saw a moving mouth, only making out “Name?” 

She answered trying to be as polite as possible, and managed a quiet “Hi..” before hesitating if she should say her name, but decided to, “I’m Unity.” She looked up and down him hesitantly, waiting for him to do something, he scared her, she had never seen him before and wasn’t sure wether she should trust him or not. “Do you need something sir.?” was all she could manage confidently, she didn’t want him to think she was unnerved. 

He started to talk, “No ma’am, I just thought you were very cute today and I wanted to say Hi. You look like somebody who would be good at a lot of things, you’re so perfect, your name even means in Harmony!” 

“Excuse me?” Unity cut him off, she was silently outraged at how everyone, even strangers thought she was SO PeRfEcT. She bit her tongue pushing down her rage, and tried to stay calm, “Can you please slow down. I don’t know you.” she said more confident this time. 

“Oh, apologies madam, my name is Alan.” She watched him bow, and grab her hand, this was an immediate red flag in her eyes and took all her power to not flinch, she quickly still pulled her hand away, and wiped it off on her dreadful skirt,

She noticed just how messy he was when she had been touched, she longed to wash her hands, something that she had always taken for granted. 

Suddenly his very eager face turned very gloomy, in an instant she feared what he would do and felt her eyes start to dart around, looking for a way out of the situation which had been created. “Why are you staring at me sir?” she crossed her arms, hoping he would take a hint and leave, she knew should could do nothing to protect herself if anything did happen, she just wanted to seem well protected from him, he was flaring her nerves and needed to lie down. 

“I’m sorry m’lady.” She watched him back up slowly, still looking at her, she wanted that moment to end as quickly as possible and he only dragged it on so long and uncomfortably before finally turning around and disappearing into the crowd. 

She sighed, “I should go home.”

… 

That night neither of them slept, they kept thinking about the interaction which had happened between them both. Two people helplessly put into boxes of what they looked like, exactly the opposite of what they were. Their blind eyes had been shown and passed. Both regretting what they did in the exchange. The crossroad which always let’s another down. Unity wanted to re-meet this mysterious man, Alan, but fear drove her away from the spot of which she had first encountered him because she didn’t want anything to happen to her weak girlish self. Then Alan wanted to get to know her perfect looks and gentle beauty amazed him. He was scared though that she was so perfect she’d show him up in everything he did, and his fragile mind couldn’t take being invalidated in what he was good at. 

Blind eyes catch everyone in almost all parts of their lives and in their world. How many people judge off looks because they are afraid that people can be different from stereotypes and binary’s which are set up daily. Don’t let yourself fall into this trick of everyone else’s Blind Eyes.

February 05, 2022 04:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.