3 comments

Contemporary

 Laurel entered the museum, her thumbs hooked in the straps of her black backpack. She took in the marble floors and the detailed architecture in general, nodding slightly to herself, impressed. She paused in front of the giant elephant statue on display in the entrance rotunda. Laurel raised an eyebrow as she ran her eyes over its slouched, out-of-proportion figure. Of course, Laurel had never seen a real elephant before, besides in zoos, but she was pretty sure the hindquarters weren't supposed to sag so much.

The Smithsonian Natural History Museum was crowded with people jostling to move to the next exhibit. Most were entering—almost none were leaving. It was still early in the day, and the museum had only opened half an hour ago, at 10 AM.

Laurel turned her gaze upwards, feeling very small as she saw how far away the domed roof was. It looked taller than she knew it to be—only three stories were in the museum, but knowing didn't compare to seeing. This was her first time here. She turned to the right and headed into the Hall of Fossils. She frowned at all the evolution plaques, silently disagreeing with the theory, but stopped to study the fossils and the dinosaur skeletons—especially the ones that towered high above her. Those were impressive. Laurel felt slightly in awe as she thought of how old the bones must be. Ancient.

Laurel traversed slowly through the Fossil Lab, Ocean Hall, and Mammals, then ascended the wide staircase to the second floor. She followed the signs to find the Geology, Gems, and Minerals area. She let out a low whistle of amazement as she entered the dim rooms.

Laurel strode through leisurely, pausing every few feet to examine the stones and jewels that cluttered every case. She halted at a glass case encompassing some Pele's hair and tears and other neat volcanic things, then backed up to leave the display a minute or two later. She bumped into someone behind her and turned, muttering a hurried apology. She caught a glimpse of a scowling face and dark, shoulder-length hair before she hastened away.

Laurel continued through the gem section, admiring the Cave of Swords and taking pictures of some of the displays. She was impressed by the museum's collection. It ranged from volcanic debris to the famous Hope Diamond and the Whitney Flame Topaz, and nearly everything in between—there were even pieces of meteorites. There were thousands of gems and rocks.

Finally, she exited the geology halls and leaned against the railing overlooking the rotunda, the massive elephant statue below her. Its slouched hindquarters were even more apparent now.

“Ma'am? You dropped something.”

Laurel turned, just in time to see a fist swinging into her face. She ducked but was too slow and the punch caught her in the eye. Her head snapped back.

“Ow!” she exclaimed reflexively, recoiling instantly. She backed away quickly, raising her hands as if to ward her assailant off. She realized vaguely that it was the man she had bumped into earlier. His hair was shiny black and brushed his shoulders, and his features were sharp, his nose looking for all the world like a hawk's beak. He was tall and dressed in dark clothes.

“What do you want?” Laurel growled, her gaze shifting around the hallway. But it was empty. There was no one in sight. The man had timed his attack well. Her heart pounded and her throat was dry.

“My name is Ponners—Jack Ponners.”

“Is that supposed to mean something to me?” Laurel spat, holding her palm up to her eye, which was rapidly swelling. A flash of anger went through his eyes at her insolent words.

“You know me,” he snarled, advancing a pace. Laurel fell back a step.

“I'm pretty sure I don't,” Laurel said quickly, searching frantically for an escape. She could always turn and run, but she had little doubt that he was faster than her. The man glowered at her and said, “Then your parents never told you?”

“Told me what?” Laurel glimpsed a woman and her son exit the gem and geology section. They took one look at Laurel and Jack and retreated hastily, the lady reaching for her phone. Good, Laurel thought. Hopefully they can call security on this man. Jack, I think his name was?

“Told you who I am, of course,” Jack replied testily. “They could not—would not—have forgotten me.”

“No. They never mentioned you. Name doesn't ring a bell, at least.”

Jack smiled, the gesture looking feral and savage. “I truly am surprised, Laurel Marroner.”

Laurel took an involuntary step backward, glaring at Jack suspiciously. “How d'you know my name?”

Jack smiled again, but, again, it was not a pleasing one. There was no smile in his eyes. “I know your parents—though I hadn't yet met you.”

“How did you know who I was? How did you recognize me?”

Jack shrugged, taking another step closer. “My sources are my own.”

“What do you want with me?”

“I wanted to meet you.”

Laurel snorted, disbelieving. “You wanted to meet me, so you punched me in the face? I take it you weren't good friends with my parents.”

“That punch was payment.”

“For what?”

“For something your father did to me. Last time we met, he punched me—twice.”

Laurel started edging towards the geology halls again, hoping to escape in the tangled hallways, but Jack didn't react. He merely turned to watch her. “So are you going to slug me again, since you've only done it once?”

Jack lifted one shoulder in a lazy half-shrug. “If I feel like it.”

Laurel eyed him suspiciously. He looked like a snake posing to strike. “For the millionth time, what do you want with me?”

Jack moved closer to her as she moved away, although they were still at least seven feet apart.

“I told you—I wanted to meet you.”

“Why, though?”

“So I could punch you.”

“Why does that not make sense to me? Am I missing something? You were looking for me so you punch me, because of something my father did years ago?” Laurel's father had died two years previously. The thought of her father still made her throat constrict and her eyes prick.

Suddenly, the two heard rapid footsteps and shouts—no doubt security—heading towards Laurel and Jack.

“That's my cue to leave, Laurel. I'll catch you later and we'll see about that second punch.” Jack grinned savagely and dashed away, the short heels of his boots clicking smartly on the smooth tile floor.

Laurel watched him go, confusion swimming through her head. She shook it, then stopped as it sent pounding waves through her skull. She touched her swollen eye gingerly and winced. It was getting hard to see out of. At least Jack hadn't caught her in both eyes. Then she'd be walking practically blind.

Jack Ponners. The name was unfamiliar to her. She thought hard, but still the name didn't ring a bell. What had her father done to him that Jack had sought her out just to hit her? It had to have been more than two punches. Of course, he might not have expected her to be in the museum today, but then she had bumped into him. He must have recognized her—somehow—and pursued her, waiting till they were relatively alone to confront her. There must have been some other reason, some ulterior motive, that had driven him to seek her out.

He was dangerous, Laurel realized. She would need to watch her back. She had no doubt that Jack would be looking to deliver that last punch. She shook her head and sighed, pondering the strange event. She had a feeling that she had made an enemy today in meeting Jack. A dangerous one.

March 19, 2024 01:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Mary Bendickson
02:54 Mar 19, 2024

More to come.

Reply

Irene Duchess
13:27 Mar 19, 2024

Thanks for reading! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:10 Mar 19, 2024

Enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.