1 comment

Science Fiction

In the background an open door, with a perspective on several open and lighted balconies

Green room with blue brocade furniture from the eighties. To the right is a terrace, separated from the stage by a glass door. On the walls of the green room are about 5 portraits of my mother, an antique wardrobe and a table.

On the terrace there are flowers, bamboo and straw furniture with two umbrellas, and down the stairs you go down to the yard. Door right into the pantry.

The whole house look wealthy. It is already late. Guests leave the dining room to the left and pass the garden in the background, then in front of them. Just as the curtain lifted, a Croatian army officer and his wife, a major, crossed the stage.

Behind the major, an old matron, leaning on a stick, bent in crosses from her pain in the back. General with a wife and one cavalry dragon major.

A lively, simple and loud conversation on the way out, from which only individual scream, indistinct speech and laughter can be heard, with a lot of English, colonial text: My dear, 1 too bright! Kiss hands! Good afternoon! Goodbye! I offer my bow, God by my dear! I am your servant, Lady! My deepest bow, good night! Goodbye.

After a while, an old woman with a marabou hat comes out, accompanied by Lucy.

Lucy, the banker's wife, accompanies an unknown man and woman. Young students and professors are laughing on the veranda, and when the family group comes out, an seventeen-year-old girl in white runs across the stage to catch up with her boyfriend on the veranda.

On the veranda among others John Stanisic and Major wing man. They all come aloud across the stage in a group. An old valet and two house cleaners come out and enter in a hurry with scarves, forgotten handbags and tails of martens and marabou. Right at the beginning, the piano could be heard in the background.

"Music was played, but stopped abruptly. All the men mostly in tailcoats, the ladies in the evening gala. Somewhere for a nice prepared food.  Officers all in waffles, lacquer and alcohol. As one of the last to come out is the bishop.  short-sighted, with golden spectacles, leaning on a stick with wooden handle, in a reverend list, with a brilliant cross, a bishop's purple cap and purple gloves, accompanied by his personal assistant, who at a decent distance from two steps behind the bishop he wears his loose hat and silk cloak.

The host himself, John Stanisic, accompanies the bishop.

For this movement, the murmur of visitors, music and laughter, on the stage stands for Lucy, widow of John's brother, born Maric (twenty-eight years old) and observes the portraits on the walls. She is nice looking, elegant and hands, which he coquettishly hides in the rich folds of his sleeves. With her Steve Stanisic, John's brother The figure is decadent, bald and gray, with an almost completely white sparse Scandinavian beard, without a mustache. In a tailcoat, with a pipe in his mouth.

The play of hands and nerves around that pipe is abnormally intense.

John said:"It is all blurry in us, my dear friends, incredibly murky. "There are two views of the human race, which is very important in a community, but springs from the unknown, such as:: Darwin was born the same year as Newton: Thirty six. This is important: science, if spoken symbolically, is closer to the Unknown than speech or images. The mathematical formula can clearly say what neither speech nor images can, not even music, which is still relatively the most scientists."

In addition, I, the more I do experimenting, the more convinced I am that Newton is right: a thing can only be precisely determined by gravity.

And, to and behold, that’s my inner contradiction: instead of being a artist, I experiment. With this schism in me, what can one achieve more than dilettantism?

Lucy: I don't know, John, please don't be offended, I wouldn't want to upset you, but after last night's conversation I couldn't help but think I have to go. It is time.

I'm afraid it's all a cat in you! John said: You are an unusually vivid cat, you are able to ruin all your long-term efforts for the sake of one witty combination, all the sincere intensity of your efforts, you are able to compromise yourself for the sake of one witty thing!

And She has been silent a lot for these seven years and it’s weird for me to think for the sake of goat!

Lucy decided to go to the guest house. It was to loud in the house.

Slowly exit the house and went through fresh snow over the yard. There was no one in the guest house. She enjoyed the silence for some time.

she could hear silence. it was unusually silent because of snow.

And then, suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. She almost cried in surprise. She doesn't know why, but this sound scared her a lot. Approaching the door, She looked through the curtain. In the hallway, along the entire wall, there are old frames, so you could see the guest. But there was no one behind the door. She panicked.

Meanwhile, the knocking did not stop. For a moment She thought she heard even a harsh murmur. The invisible stranger didn't seem to be thinking of leaving. On the contrary, it became more and more persistent. She started baptizing and muttering prayers, whatever happened to me, but it didn’t help.

Suddenly the blows stopped, and under the guest the snow broke. Yesterday it was falling and walking profusely in the first half of the day, and due to the warm weather it was now sticky and loose. So the sound was very loud. Invisibility went to a distant window, where the kitchen was, and knocked on the glass. Not receiving an answer, he continued and did the same with the window in the hallway. He then went back to the door and knocked again.

She open the door and she saw him. Her biggest nightmare. Her forgotten enemy from past. She knew it was over. He is not happy that She forget him. All I could do is to scream in hope that maybe someone can hear her.

Thank you god. Thanks an awful lot he said. I found you.

The End

February 04, 2022 15:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Alice Richardson
06:03 Feb 12, 2022

A good story, perhaps a little too much detail in places. A good twist at the end!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.