2 comments

Drama Sad

The bright yellow sun smacked Bobby in the face as he took his first steps towards freedom as the heavy concrete prison door swung open. 

He just completed his 20 year sentence for manslaughter and looked forward to freedom. 

Bobby would never forget that night the crime happened and wished he could right the wrong. 

But he knows he can’t. 

One of Bobby’s brothers was there to drive him back to Mom’s house when he was released from prison. 

“How does it feel to be free again?” his brother Jim asked. 

“Feels fantastic. Gotta a lot of living to catch up on.” Bobby said

“You wanna grab a drink before we head over to Mom’s? I’m sure you could use one.” Jim asked

“Sounds like a great idea.”

They pull into O'Houlihans, a local bar a few miles down the road from Mom’s house. 

Jim ordered a couple of Boilermakers in memory of their father who passed away 9 years ago.

“Here’s to Dad. You were a good man. I’m sorry I missed your funeral.” Bobby said as he clinked glasses with Jim. 

“You guys celebrating something?” Ann the bartender asked. 

“Yes and no. We were remembering our late father who passed away while I was in prison.” Bobby said. 

“Sorry bout your Dad but glad you got outta prison.” Ann said as she smiled and they locked eyes. 

“Bobby, you should ask her out.” Jim said

“Yeah right I’m sure she wants to go out with someone who just got out of prison.” Bobby said

“I saw the way she looked at you. Go ahead. Whaddya gotta lose?” Jim said

 Bobby cleared his throat as Ann got closer to them and started to speak when Ann interrupted. 

“Why don’t you give me a call sometime?” Ann said as she slid her phone number to Bobby. 

“Ok I will.” Bobby said

“Ok big boy let’s settle up and go visit Mom. I’m sure she’s dying to see you.” Jim said

As they get up to leave Bobby looks back at Ann who puts her hand up to her ear in the shape of a phone and mouths “Call me.”

 * * * * *

A week later Bobby and Ann met for dinner at the local sushi restaurant. 

“So what did you go to prison for?” Ann asked

“A very foolish and stupid mistake that only a young man would make. I was convicted of murder because I killed a guy under the influence. That night has haunted me everyday since.”

“I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I feel so bad for the other guy’s family.” Ann said

“Let’s change the subject. I don’t want to start our date on a negative note. Tell me a little about you.” Bobby said

Ann talks for a few minutes telling Bobby about her childhood, the neighborhood she grew up in and her family. 

As Bobby sat and listened he couldn’t remember the last time he had this good of a time. 

He hadn’t been on a date in over 20 years and was very careful with his words. 

Also he was nervous as hell and hoped it didn’t show. 

After dinner Bobby walked Ann back to her car and asked her if they could do this again. She agreed. 

They spoke everyday on the phone and went on a few more dates over the next couple of months. 

Bobby couldn’t believe how life could get good so fast. He met this wonderful woman a couple of months after getting out of prison and was falling for her. 

Tonight was the night he was going to tell Ann he loved her more than any other woman he had ever met. 

He had planned a romantic home cooked dinner at his place and pulled out all the stops. 

Flowers, cooking her favorite meal, candle lights, the works…

Ann arrived at 7. 

This will be the first time she has seen Bobby’s place. 

She knocked on the door and Bobby had the biggest smile on his face as he opened the door. 

He gave her a quick tour of the apartment before they settled down on the couch with a couple of glasses of Pinot Noir. 

“You look incredible tonight Ann.” Bobby said

“And you look as handsome as ever.” Ann said

Bobby folded in his hands in his lap as he looked around the room. 

“Are you ok? Is everything alright?” Ann asked.

“Yes I’m fine. Why do you ask?” Bobby said

“I’ve never seen you act this way before. Are you nervous?” Ann said

Bobby decided this is as good a time as any. 

Bobby gently touches Ann’s hand and pulls her in closer to him. He looked her in the eye and said, “I think I’m falling in love with you Ann.” 

A tear rolled down her cheek as she said, “I love you too Bobby.” 

They embrace and share a long passionate kiss. 

“Feel better now.” Ann said as she smiled.

“Yes, it feels like a weight off my chest. Let’s eat” Bobby said

Bobby goes into the kitchen to put the finishing touches on their dinner. 

Ann walked over to the few pictures Bobby had on a shelf of his family. “I love this picture of you with your mother.” You look so young in it.” 

“Yeah that is one of my favorites as well.” 

She spotted a newspaper clipping on the shelf next to the photos and started to read it. 

“Is this newspaper article about your drunk driving incident?” Ann asked

“Yes I keep it there to remind myself how much I’ve changed since then.” 

Bobby heard a scream from inside the living room and ran out of the kitchen to find Ann in tears. 

“You killed my brother that night.” Ann yelled

“Tom Everett is your brother?” Bobby asked.

“Yes, that night destroyed my family and tore them apart. My mother was grief stricken and died.” 

“He was an innocent kid coming off the night shift at work when you ran that red light.” 

“How could you have been so stupid?” 

“I was young and stupid and wished the biggest mistake of my life never happened.”  Bobby said

“I can’t see you anymore.” 

Ann turned on her heel and strolled out the door never to be seen or heard from again. 

January 26, 2024 20:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

David Cantwell
22:25 Jan 31, 2024

Tom, I liked the story. Do you want a deeper critique?

Reply

Tom Davis
18:57 Apr 25, 2024

Yes I would love a deeper critique. Sorry for the late reply. Haven't logged into Reedsy in a while.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.