0 comments

Holiday

In the small town of Gaze, everyone knew everyone. It was a sweet town where there was never any crime. People often didn’t lock their doors when they went to bed because they didn’t have any worries. Some would go on our vacation still without bother to lock their homes. It was such a perfect place to live, but it took a great deal to be accepted into such a high quality town. Not only was it beautiful, but it was very costly. Very. Which made the homes the perfect ones to break into.


With only days before Christmas, I knew most of the town would be off vacationing in Hawaii, or Spain, or Paris even. Wealthy people do whatever they can to just spend money. That’s why there are so many beautiful, but useless items in homes. Some aren’t even beautiful, but they sure are still expensive. Perfect for selling to random’s who just want the most expensive things they can find. 


I decided to wait until night, where most crimes take place, obviously. I “borrowed” my uncle’s car so no one would notice mine. I pulled up to a slightly shaded white house. Actually, house was a huge understatement. I got out of the car and walked up the driveway at a brisk pace. You would think for so many nice items and stuff they would at least have some security right? Especially if they don’t even lock their doors. 


I searched through the house, quickly. I was careful not to make any sound so the neighbors who were home didn’t suspect anything. Since it was so close to Christmas, I found so many toys, pieces of jewelry, new technology… everything. And that was only my first house.


As I went through the rest of the houses I found myself wanting to do more. These people have so much, and don’t bother to do anything with it. I wanted to show them, show them the struggle of not being this rich. 


I’m in my seventh house of the night. My car is getting full of cash and gifts. I’m a little tired, but I can still go on. My greed is getting the best of me. I look over at the time and realize that it is four in the morning. I need to get home. Some of these people wake up at the crack of dawn for no reason at all, and I can’t risk them seeing me. Although, I figure I can fit in maybe two more houses, possibly three. 


After raiding my ninth house of the night, I notice it’s almost sunrise. I have one more house left… just one more. I think I can do it. I drove to the biggest house of them all.


When I walk in, I am in awe. Beautiful light grey walls. White furniture. Glass table. Black curtains. It was so modern. It was like a dream. I had forgotten how beautiful this house was. It made me so angry at how beautiful this house really was. This could have been mine. I could’ve had this. I should have had this. It was so unfair. Which was why I was mad.


I couldn’t control myself anymore. I guess I just lost it. It was my last house and I just couldn’t do it. And I knew that house wasn’t empty but I couldn’t help it. I wanted to do more than rob these people. And that’s exactly what I did. 


They didn’t let me move in here even though I was the richest of them all. The neighborhood didn’t like me, and so they didn’t like how I had more money than them. So they brought up something in my past… something they shouldn’t have known. It really wasn’t any of their business but, they sued me. For everything I owned. They destroyed my life. Tore apart my family. They took everything from me. So every year, around Christmas time, I raid their houses to get back. And this year, I did more than just get back at them. I destroyed their life too. Actually, it’s more like ended theirs.


Merry Christmas.


December 28, 2019 04:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.