Martin and the monster

Submitted into Contest #169 in response to: Write about someone finding a monster under their bed.... view prompt

0 comments

Bedtime Kids

Martin was a very good kid with big brown eyes an brown curly hair. He lived in small town whit his beautiful mother and caring father. Martin went to sleep every night at 9:00 p.m. First, he will eat his dinner and help mom to clean the table. Then he would take a quick shower and brush his teeth, put on colorful pajamas, choose one of the picture books and sit on the bed. Mom or Dad would read him a story that he chose, sometimes they both would read it together, after story they will put blanket on Martin and he would go to sleep. One evening, after doing the same ritual, when mom read him story and put him in bad, Martin heard some pounding while he was under his blanket. At that moment he opens his eyes, he turned on the lamp and quickly looked around the room, but no one was there so Martin thought he maybeheard something outside the hous. He slowly turned off the lamp and tried to go back to sleep. But in an instant, when he was almost asleep, he heard pounding again. He jumped on the bed and quickly turned on the lamp, Martin was now a little scared, but he didn't move from the bed. He stood there and listened, listened and listened, when suddenly he heard pounding again. Martin was now very scared, he wanted to run to get his mom and dad, but the pounding was heard right under his bed. He thought that this thumping thing would grab his leg as soon as he hit the floor. Now he didn't know what to do, he was thinking what that sound could be but couldn't think of anything. Martin remained standing on the bed for some time. He realized that it must have been an hour since he should have been asleep and his kom and dad are probably already asleep too. He thought about peeking under the bed, but he was too scared. The sound of pounding was still coming from under the bed, buy then, something gets in his brain and Martin gathered his courage in an instant, put the blanket around his neck on his shoulders like cloak and pulled the pillowcase over his head for a helmet. He held his stuffed rabbit in his hands so he don't feel alone and maybe stuffed rabbit could help him and then he threw the pillow a little further from the bed. Martin's plan was to jump as far away from the bed as possible so monster can'tgrabhis legs, and since he didn't want to wake up mom and dad, he decided to jump on the pillow so they won't hear the jump. One, two, three and he jumped, falling right on his butt on the pillow. At that moment, Martin was very proud of himself and quickly got down on the floor with a cloak made of a blanket and a helmet made of a pillowcase and looked under the bed. He saw nothing at first. He began to crawl around the entire bed and crawled, and crawled, and crawled until he suddenly saw a shadow moving. Martin stopped but still feeling brave. Two large pointed horns on a huge shaggy head with four arms bearing large claws approached Martin. The shadow was getting bigger and closer and at that moment Martin jumped and forgot how brave he was. He started running and left the stuffed rabbit behind him on the floor next to the shadow and ran to mom and dad in hug. They were just planning to get ready for sleep and go to their bedroom. Mom hugged the scared Martin and told him to calm down, to slow down and tell them what happened. Martin quickly told them everything about the monster under the bed thet he was first listened him and how he tried to find it, but that the monster, in the time when he almost get him, jumped on him with big claws and horns and he start ran away becouse he was too big for him. After his story, dad praised him for his courage, he said Martin that he always can wake up them if he get scared of something and all three of them headed to the room to finde monster. Mom and Martin stood carefully at the entrance to the room and looking at dad, while Dad very bravely came next to the bed. He picked up the stuffed rabbit and put it back on Martin's bad and than he saw a shadow. He first little bit observed the shadow and tried to match it with Martin's description of the monster. He looked like it have horns, but didn't sow four hands. After a few moments, dad get down and reached under the bed. Martin got scared, closed his eyes and hugged his mom and waited, waited and waited. After a few minutes, dad laughed loudly, pulled out the big monster that Martin was scared off and called mom and Martin to come and see the monster. All three laughed when they saw Martin's monster. That was Rudy, their guinea pig. It seems that Martin didn't close his quarters properly after feeding him so poor Rudy wandered around the room and got lost under the bed, he probably was even more scared than Martin. They returned the guinea pig to the little house, and Martin went to bed with relief. Mom and Dad stayed with him for a while and wait till Martin fall asleep so he wont get scared again. That night Martin dreamed about himself, the brave knight that is going on adventure and his brave helper, guinea pig Rudy, how they defeated a big monster with four arms and terrible big horns. After they defeat a monster he got a big medal for being brave. His mom and dad was very proud of him ad they went on ice cream together, and little guinea pig Rudy gets his treats for being brave too.

October 23, 2022 19:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.