0 comments

LGBTQ+ Sad Romance

TW: contains a decent amount of abuse, and homophobia.



“No! That is not allowed!” Screamed Eleanor, her mother, “You cannot be that! THAT THING, It’s disgusting!-” 

“Yes mother.” Elliana whispered, turning red as she stared at the ground. “I understand..I won’t..” 

“-and for this horrible scare you are grounded, I’m taking your phone, maybe that’ll teach you to not be disgusting like that!”

“Yes mother.” Elliana’s eyes watered as she dug through her pocket, shaking, to give her mother her phone. Keeping her eyes down she handed her phone to Eleanor. Taking sharp breaths trying to calm herself she turned around and ran up the stairs. The last thing she heard being her mother yell to her father, “She’s GAY Andrew! What did we do wrong!?” Before slamming her door shut and throwing herself on her bed to cry. 


                                                                      …


The next morning she woke up to something hitting her window. She winced in the light and looked groggily outside to see her best friend standing outside throwing rocks. 

“Lucy!” She yelled down, throwing out her decorated rope ladder for her friend “come here quickly please!” Within minutes Lucy was sitting on Elliana’s bed with Elliana in her arms. 

“What happened, darling? You know I don’t like seeing you like this.” Lucy said softly, brushing Elliana’s hair out of her face to look her in the eyes. 

“I told my mother, I wasn’t expecting her to lash out that badly.” Elliana said in between heavy breaths. “She took my phone, I won’t get it back until I’m straight again.” 

Lucy scoffed, “What a _____, you can’t just expect someone to change who they love. Love is Love!” 

“Yea, but nothing will ever change their mind, and that is a fact.” Elliana sighed, tears welling in her eyes. 

“Hey, it’s going to be ok, just remember you have someone to talk to if you ever need it, because I, your amazing and helpful-” 

Elliana tried to cut her off, “Be careful what you say, they might hear you.” 

“-Lover will always be here.” Lucy immediately realized her mistake and apologized to Elliana, crossing her fingers regretfully. “I hope nobody heard that.” 

There was a second of silent hope in nobody hearing.

WIthin the next second Elliana’s mother slammed open the door, “Oh yes I did.” Her face was turning red as her eyes narrowed, Lucy thought she looked like a cartoon character about to explode in rage, and could swear there was steam coming out of her ears. 

Quickly, Lucy got in between Elliana and Eleanor, trying to protect her from any words, punishments or strikes which might come their way. 

Elliana was staring at the ground as if her nondescript room suddenly interested her. 

“Get out of my house.” Eleanor said in a trembling tone, quivering as she tried to stay calm, “Lucy, you are no longer welcome here.”

Lucy, taken back by what she heard from Eleanor, held her ground saying a sturdy, “No. At least not without Elliana, I’m not going anywhere.”

Eleanor grumbled, quick to yell, “Get out!” 

Lucy grabbed Elliana’s hand and led her past Eleanor, keeping herself in between the two, “Fine, we’ll leave.”  

Eleanor was surprised by this answer and shoved Lucy to grab her daughter, who was now crying in fear and distress.  

“You are not leaving, we need to talk about this!” Eleanor yelled at Elliana, she went off exigently making Elliana start to shiver out of fear and unease. 

Lucy hugged Elliana putting her back to Eleanor, looking into Elliana’s eyes she kindly whispered, “Darling, I need you to leave, you’re not safe here. Meet me at our place, please-” She was cut off due to a wince of pain, losing balance from being struck on the back by Eleanor. Her voice more urgent this time, she looked at Elliana, “Leave, Please!”

Elliana was frozen in fear, her hands covering her mouth and she tried not to cry too much, she hesitated until her mother yelled at her, “Elliana, you do not leave this house!” 

That second her mom spoke, a million red flags which had already passed flew in her head, She looked her mother in the eye and saw something she had never seen before, an anger that was crazed, a hate so deep and passionate that it pierced her skin and her skin started to flame across her body. She knew exactly what she had to do right then and there, she turned around and ran. 


                                                                     …


Lucy felt something wet drip down her face and didn’t realize she was crying until after everything happened. Eleanor had attacked her, and attempted to hurt her own daughter. Once Elliana was clear of the room Lucy let loose, “What is wrong with you!? You evil person, She’s your daughter! Do you realize how scared she is of you? How much she’ll hate you after this!?” 

Eleanor looked shocked that Lucy would say such a thing, she already seemed past her boiling point, Lucy tried to stand up taller to be met by a quick and fierce punch to the face, she immediately stumbled back down to her hunched position, nose throbbing as it started to bleed rigorously. 

Eleanor continued to yell at defenseless Lucy, “What did you do to my daughter!? You made her this way didn’t you? You are all sick in the head! Where has she gone! She’s not getting away with this!” 

As Eleanor yelled distractedly at Lucy, Lucy had managed to stand upright again and had started making her way slowly to the door. Eleanor got one more brief look at Lucy before she turned around and bounded out and away from the house going to find Elliana. To Lucy, Elliana was more important than if she had a bloody nose or not. She needed to know if Elliana was ok, and and not until after would she be able to calm herself. 

...


Lucy burst into her house yelling for Elliana, she was met with the sight of her mother taking care of Elliana by the fireplace where she was sitting on edge, disturbed and afraid, Lucy’s mother was trying very hard to help, but was afraid for her own daughters safety so she couldn’t sit still either. Both of them immediately jumped the second Lucy burst into the door. “Elliana! You're ok!” Lucy ran up to Elliana and wrapped her in a safe hug, finally letting herself cry because she was somewhere she felt safe herself- home. Lucy’s mother walked over and hugged them both. As soon as Lucy’s mother stood back from the couple she noticed Lucy’s bloody nose, and a look of worry washed over her face. 

Her mother asked, “what happened? When Elliana got here she was too shaken up to say anything and hasn’t really spoken, but I figured she was here for a reason so I didn’t turn her down.” Lucy sighed, “Eleanor, she., lashed out on me and Elliana, she’s not ok with this and I told Elliana to come here, which I’m glad she did.,” Lucy hesitated, “because as soon as she left I got punched in the face, which is what caused this., and she yelled, a lot. I know Elliana doesn’t do great with yelling because of her family so I wanted her out of there.” 

Lucy’s mother nodded, looking at Elliana who was still in Lucy’s arms, “You are welcome to stay here as long as you need, we accept you both, and I love you guys alright?” 

Elliana smiled shyly and thanked her. 

“Now, Lucy, let’s get you cleaned up, you’re getting blood everywhere,” her mother said smiling kindly. 


                                                                   …


After a half an hour Lucy and Elliana were cuddled up on the couch ready to watch something before they went to bed for the night. While they were laying there, Elliana gathered up enough courage to ask Lucy, “What’s going to happen to my mother, I don’t think what happened is legal.”

Lucy sighed, looking at Elliana, she said softly as to not upset her, “We think She’s going to end up going to jail, she attacked me, that’s assault, plus it’s a hate crime to Lgbtq+ people. What she did was wrong in even more ways than even what I just said. She can’t just get away with what she did, it’s not fair, to me, or especially not to you. She abused you for too long like that, and I’m tired of you not telling me this, it’s time for it to stop, So, we’re going to make it stop. Alright? You’ll stay with us, and be safe from now on instead of with her.” Elliana cuddled into Lucy, smiling wider than ever before, she whispered, “thank you Lucy, you have no clue how much what you do means to me, I love you, so much.” Lucy smiled, “I love you too Elliana.” 



Within a few weeks Eleanor was on trial for what she had done, Elliana was required to be there but Lucy wouldn’t let her face her mother alone. Lucy and Elliana won the case together, and Elliana was moved households and started living permanently with Lucy and her mother. Elliana felt safe with Lucy beside her and she started to heal inside, no longer afraid of everything and could speak her own mind for once in her life. 


2 years later …



“We’re graduating today!” Elliana yelled, jumping into Lucy’s arms. “I know, isn’t it wonderful? we can both follow our dreams.” Lucy replied, holding Elliana staring into her eyes. “That day was two years ago, we were only 16, think of how much we’ve grown as a couple, and as people.” They both were beaming, smiles all around them were all from ear to ear as they watched the couple finally wrap themselves together and share a kiss. 

                                                           -The end-


October 21, 2021 01:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.