1 comment

Fiction Drama Mystery

“My existence often feels dissociated, but I can’t understand why. People speak in loud tones that dissolve into muted whispers when I come close. It’s as if they shroud something mysterious relevant to my circumstances.”

“I know the fountainhead of my lifeblood emanates from four irrevocable truths.”

“First, I am Sarah Willow and Apprentice Healer by decree.”

“Second, my parents abandoned me before I was three. They left me in the custody of my abusive grandmother, Gaither Miller, The Healer.”

“Third, I am powerless over my destiny. Generations ago, The Elders enacted laws that now dictate my fate. I fear sinister forces drove me off my true path. Why must I follow this supplanted course? How long?”

“Fourth, I live in Edenton. Others mention a city called ‘Swansboro.’ I haven’t been there. People have moved here from there. I fear it might upset them to discuss their prior lives.”

The sights, sounds, and scents of the deep woods left Sarah lightheaded. Warm rays of sunlight pierced the vivid green canopy, sprinkling patchy gold highlights on the dark loamy forest floor.

Gazing up, Sarah viewed the silvery-grey festoons of Spanish moss cascading from the branches.

Vibrant birds, in a variety of colors, flitted in and out of the branches festooned in silvery-gray garlands of Spanish Mossy filled the air with a chorus of chirps, whistles, warbles, trills, and tweets.

Sarah Willow’s practiced perch on a log in the picturesque forest clearing allowed her to stretch backward without falling. A gentle breeze caressed a wayward lock of her soft honey-colored hair, rubbing against her pale cheek as it purred past her. She leaned forward, resting her head in her slim hands as she contemplated her existence.

“The thought of my birthright fills me with unfathomable sorrow. If I controlled my life’s journey, my path must bring me joy -maybe my future is waiting in Swansborough?”

Sarah felt disconnected from the villagers. To protect herself, she became shy, quiet, and cautious.

The villagers in Edenton named their ninety-day weather cycles Falling, Bittercold, Blooming, and Greening.

Early in Falling, Sarah and her lifelong best friend, Angel Edmonds, sat in the forest clearing.

Taller than Angel, long, thick lashes fringed her unique emerald-green eyes. Creamy skin, rosebud lips, and a delicate nose graced her sculpted face.

Angel’s name matched her demeanor and presence.

A glamorous young woman, she was not conceited.

Her athletic build proved essential to her position as Apprentice Dancer.

She floated when she moved.

Her heart-shaped face featured wide brown eyes, which appeared surprised.

An upturned nose and bow-shaped lips completed her charming face.

Her crowning touch was curly coffee-colored tresses that accented her sun-kissed complexion.

“Angel, I enjoy Falling. The trees, shrubs, and other vegetation dress in vibrant shades of green, filling me with joy.”

“As the season progresses, fiery hints of crimson and gold clothe the leaves in a dizzying, kaleidoscopic pattern. The blazing colors weigh heavy on the branches as the days grow short.”

“In the end, the foliage releases its tenuous hold on life. The leaves float to the forest floor to become part of the detritus under the slumbering trees.”

The end of Falling found the best friends in their favorite forest clearing.

They watched as the last leaf drifted to the forest floor, leaving the trees naked in the face of Bittercold.

“Bittercold is the most unforgiving, merciless season of the year.”

Uninvited, unwanted, Bittercold blustered into Edenton, bringing shorter days and longer nights that filled the villagers with dread

Shiny silver ice shrouded the land.

The reflection through the villagers’ windows became a monotonous, omnipresent whiteness of snowbanks.

Their once fertile farmlands were now sheets of silvery, shining ice.

Relentless howling blizzards slashed their raw flesh and obscured their vision.

Darkness gnawed at their souls. Clinging to Hope, they prayed to withstand the desolation of Bittercold.

 On a bone-chilling, sub-zero day in the throes of the season, Sarah observed.

“In the savagery of Bittercold, I came to understand that inside me, undefeated Blooming hibernates.”

The Season of Blooming marked a period of rebirth and fertility after the barrenness of Bittercold.

The farmers went to their fields to plant their crops. Tendergreen shoots sprouted.

Migratory animals returned.

Babies were born.

Sarah drew in a deep breath and held it. When she released the captured air, she said,

“I love the sweet-milk scent of baby animals and the perfumes of plant blossoms. The combination exhilarates me.”

“Blooming is the quintessential culmination of Bittercold.”

At the onset of Greening, Sarah said,

“I love Greening. I yearn to stretch out catlike on a windowsill while I listen to the lullaby-golden sundrops and drift into the ever-shifting landscape of my dreams.”

Sarah and Corey Sitting Wolfe sat together in the luxuriant blue-green meadow encompassing the quaint village of Edenton.

Corey was handsome with high cheekbones, a bent nose, hypnotic dark brown eyes, and mahogany-colored skin.

Tall and sinewy, his long, raven-colored braids hung below his waist.

“Sarah, I love walking barefoot across this good earth following my ancestor’s footsteps; I experience their strength coursing through my body. The dark, rich homeland soil soothes, heals, and cleanses me. My forefathers thrived here long before the settlers renamed this land ‘Edenton.’ My predecessors welcomed them and taught them survival skills. We named this stream The River of Life in our native tongue. The settlers respected the name and translated it into their own language.”

Shades of blue, yellow, salmon, pink, and red splashed across the sky as the sun sank into the horizon. The burgundy cobalts empurple peacock blue.

The infinite diamondlike stars winked from the vast, eternal, midnight-blue sky at night.

“Sarah, I am glad we shared this time. You are always busy, and I do not come home often. I see the sorrow shrouded in your eyes, even though you try to hide it. You’re too kind and lovely to be melancholy.”

“I appreciate your concern, Corey.”

“An endless list of duties and obligations haunts and overfills my brain. There is no room for happy thoughts.”

“I am especially reminded of my insignificance when I view the crystal night skies of Greening.”

“My ancestors believed we are part of the earth and sky. So, we are eternal as well.”

“What a wonderful way to view our existence. It puts things into a better perspective.”

  At twenty-two, Charles was muscular and tall. When kissed by the sun, his fair complexion turned to bronze. Because of changes in his mood, his eyes transformed from celestial blue to silver-gray.

He was shy.

Often, Angel questioned her brother,

“Why are you unmarried?”

“You have exceptional qualities.”

Without delay, Charles always answered,

 “I am too busy for such trivialities.”

Sarah spent time at their home with Angel.

Charles dreamed of dating Sarah, but right the time never happened.

During dinner on the Second of Blooming, Angel turned to her brother.

“Sarah told me something important during the last part of Bittercold. I should not tell you, but I can no longer keep quiet.”

Charles rose. “For goodness’ sake, Angel. What did Sarah tell you?”

“Calm yourself, Charles. Sarah has loved you for years.”

“I love Sarah, too, but the law does not consider us adults until we complete our apprenticeship. Sarah is still the Apprentice Healer. Does the law allow her to marry or even date?”

Arthur, their father, advised, “First thing in the morning. We will talk to Gary, the Chief Elder.”

Ecstatic, Charles cautioned Angel,

“Do not say a word to Sarah. After we meet with Gary, if it’s legal, I will ask her to marry me.”

Charles thrashed throughout the night. When he fell asleep, dreams of Sarah filled his mind.

Arthur and Charles arrived at the Elders’ Office early the next day.

“We must discuss a legal issue with you.”

Gary pointed to two chairs and asked,

“How may I help you? Do you have a dispute?

 “I need to ask a legal question.”

“I want to marry Sarah Willow. She is twenty, but she is still an apprentice.”

“Is it legal for her to marry me?”

 “Did you ask her yet, Charles?”

Charles blushed.

“No, but I love her. She adores me. First, is it legal?”

“The law provides an exception in her case. She may marry at twenty.

“Congratulations and good luck. When are you going to ask Sarah?”

“I will propose to her when we return home.”

“Although I don’t want to wait any longer, I must go to the Golden Box Jewelry Shoppe.”

Charles ran across the street to the shop. Mark, the owner, greeted him with a smile.

“I believe I have what you want.”

Mark made a quick trip to his workshop, returning holding a small golden box.

He handed the container to Charles, who opened it with trembling hands.

He opened it to show a perfect heart-shaped emerald wrapped inside a braided platinum band.

The gem matched Sarah’s eyes, giving the ring a custom-made quality.

 “Mark, this ring is perfect for Sarah.”

Mark beamed, “Congratulations, Charles.”

Charles paid for the ring and hurried to meet Arthur at the Elders’ Office.

When Charles left, Mark chuckled. Over the years, he watched the couple stealing furtive glances at each other at local events. He made the ring years ago, planning on them realizing their destiny. The gem was an exact match for Sarah’s eyes.

The men raced off to find Angel. She always could find Sarah.

When they arrived home, Charles jumped out.

 “Angel! Where is Sarah?”

“I am right here with Angel. Are you hurt? Do you need stitches? Are you sick?”

Charles raced to Sarah and kneeled on one knee. He held out the engagement ring.

“Sarah, this may be strange. But I have loved you for years. Angel says you share my feelings. Let’s not waste any more time. Sarah, will you marry me?”

Overcome by joy, Sarah cried as Charles slid the ring on her finger. He heard her answer.

“Yes. Oh, yes.”

Charles arose and embraced her. They stood for several minutes, crying tears of joy.

“I am the happiest man in Edenton.”

 “We, I mean you two, must tell Gaither. She will be livid.”

“Oh, no, Angel. I did not ask her permission. After talking to Gary, my only thoughts concerned proposing to you. I hope she won’t be angry.”

Sarah clasped his hand.

“Grandmother is unpredictable.”

They arrived at the hut. Gaither saw their intertwined hands. Overcome by rage, she shook and burst into tears.

“I apologize for not asking your permission to marry Sarah. When Gary told me Sarah may marry, I was so excited I rushed to propose to her.”

Gaither’s distorted countenance was grim and menacing.

“What do you mean you talked to Gary? Did it occur to you I am her guardian?”

“You are clueless. Once you marry, challenges will plague your life. Sarah must be available. Someone may become ill or injured. Babies do not adhere to normal hours when they are born.”

“She must continue to study and train with me.”

“When she becomes the Healer, things will worsen.”

“A marriage requires love, understanding, and patience. I don’t believe you have what it takes, Charles.”

Charles looked at Gaither with stern resolution.

“Sarah and I have loved each other for years, afraid to admit it. I see how hard she works and know her work’s value.”

“Gaither, you are unaware of her importance to me.”

“We have committed to building a life together. We will make it work.”

“Well, Charles, you are so smart and know best. I won’t take part in this nonsense.”

Without warning, Gaither turned around and entered the hut.

Charles turned to Sarah and hugged her.

“Do not cry. We are getting married. I will love and care for you forever.”

“In due time, Gaither will adjust. If not, you deserve happiness.”

“We can always elope, but I am starving. I want to take you to the Boarding House Dining Room for lunch.”

Charles knocked at the workshop door. “We are going to eat lunch in town. Why don’t you join us? My treat.”

“I do not care where you go. Just leave. I need solitude.”

 The threesome was relieved she didn’t go.

At noon on the sixth day of Greening, the bells of Saint Peter’s Church rang out in solemn tones. The villagers packed into the chapel to pay their last respects to Gaither Miller, the Village Healer. Sarah stood behind the pulpit to deliver her well-rehearsed eulogy.

Sarah was determined to finish the eulogy.

“You knew Gaither Miller as the Village Healer. She delivered your babies and tended to you whenever you were sick or needed stitches. You did not know her.”

“I am not her granddaughter. She was my great-aunt by marriage. When I became orphaned at three, the Chief Elder gave me to her to raise and train as the next Healer.”

“You treated me as if I am a pariah. Only the Edmonds family loved me.”

“My great uncle died during the Fever seventeen years ago. That is when Gaither’s mind fragmented. She had money in the bank, but we lived in poverty. She was mean-spirited, always nagging and bullying me.”

“After Charles proposed, her treatment of me improved. I cannot forget the pain I suffered at her hands.”

 “I tried to love her.”

“Since I am not Gaither Miller’s blood relative, I am not destined to be the new Village Healer. I am not duty-bound to heal anyone.”

“Trained doctors in Swansborough can tend to your medical needs. I have talked to them. For a fee, they agree to take turns coming to Edenton to help you. The Elders must finish the details.”

“A robber killed my parents during a robbery. They left me very wealthy. Charles and I are moving to Swansborough.”

“I am closing this chapter of my book of life.”

“I don’t know what lies ahead.”

“Beyond that, the pages are blank. Charles and I are free to take whatever path we choose.”

“Charles and I plan to travel for our honeymoon. We are leaving at once.”

“We are not bound by a schedule anymore.”

“Rest in peace, Gaither Miller. Your beloved husband, Benny, and your daughter, Linda, have reunited with you. Your work on earth is complete.”

“Does anyone have a memory of Gaither to share? Please stand?”

You could have heard a pin drop. The congregation was dumbstruck.

The villagers regained their composure and came forward. One by one, they shared their memories of Gaither. She cured them, saved their lives, delivered their babies, or stitched their wounds. Each mourner agreed her passing left a void.

After the last person spoke, Sarah said,

“Now, I turn the service over to Pastor Benson.”

Sarah left the dais and joined the Edmonds family in the front pew. Next to Charles, she held his hand while Pastor Benson led the congregation in song and prayer.

Following the service, the pallbearers carried Gaither’s coffin to the Miller family plot in the Church cemetery.

Members of the congregation carried the wreaths and flowers to the gravesite.

Sarah walked up to the casket and reached into her pocket. Pulling out Linda’s locket, she placed it around Gaither’s neck. Tears streamed from Sarah’s eyes as she kissed Gaither goodbye and hugged her. Charles held Sarah fast.

Pastor Benson conducted the graveside service reading from Ecclesiastes 3, King James Version.

In the end, Sarah shook each villager’s hand, thanking them for their condolences.

She spoke to Pastor Benson last.

“Sarah, I did not know the horrors you endured. You are one of my flock. It was my duty to watch over you. I apologize for my failure.”

“I can understand why you don’t want to be the new Village Healer. You had your identity stolen from you. I wish you the best in your journey to discover yourself.

“God be with you and Charles always. Bless you.”

“Thank you, Pastor Benson. I do not mean to be rude. Charles and I are in a hurry. We must catch a train in Swansborough.”

 “I haven’t even packed.”

Sarah’s actions surprised Charles. She displayed a new side.

Charles wanted to spend his life making Sarah happy and watching her metamorphosis.

April 07, 2023 14:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Carole Wilbur
15:20 Apr 07, 2023

This submission is an edited synopsis of a novel I am writing. I hope you enjoy it. Comments are always encouraged and welcomed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.