Gambling with Fate

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Set your story in a casino.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Drama Urban Fantasy

How does someone win a gamble against Fate?

Many would deny that a person can, claiming she is called Fate because it is absolute, and one cannot alter nor reverse the events written in the stars by her divine hands. They can only accept it. And those who wish to achieve victory in her game are deluding themselves and sealing their own destiny within a fool’s paradise. 

The dreamers, however, like to imagine they are not bound by Fate and her obscure paths. They believed a stroke of luck would always find its way to them. Afterall, the stars are not wholly rooted in place–their positions in the sky are constantly shifting. Even if it’s at a gradual pace, they have the ability to change their course. So why shouldn’t we be able to do the same?

You’re one of those dreamers. That’s why you found yourself standing in the center of a casino blazing with activity. Marvelous chandeliers dangled from the high ceilings above, thousands of glittering crystals casting the place in a golden glow. Chatter fluttered into your ears as dealers called for bids and patrons laughed over clinking drinks. Exquisite statues of silver and bronze lined the walls. Soft, classical music drifted in the background, heightening the liviness. A small group gathered around a wooden table; their hushed whispers muffled by the tumbling dice and clacking chips, each person anxious to witness the outcome. A fist slammed on the table, followed by an elaborate string of curses when a man’s unfortunate fate was sealed. He sank to his knees, breaking into sobs when he finally comprehended the future riddled with destruction which would now taint his life.

Everyone here was gambling with Fate for a chance to change their path. Some desperately fought for a way to escape their predicaments, while avaricious individuals thought they were worthy of a grand fate to provide them with tremendous amounts of fame and fortune. As for you, Fate had dealt you an unfair hand at life, and you desired new cards. 

You took a tentative step forward on the elaborate crimson carpet, almost worried you’d lose yourself amongst the swirls and whorls of golden patterns. Weaving throughout the crowds, you scanned the rows of booths. Searching for her. 

When people traveled to this casino, they rarely played against Fate herself. Their gambles were typically overseen by her handpicked croupiers, who followed every commandment with unwavering devotion. Out of all the souls who sought her out, only a lucky few were granted the fortune of finding her before she vanished into the night. Albeit, some considered it a curse to go against her face-to-face. According to speculations, a person’s odds are slightly better if they gamble with the dealers.

You begged to differ, however. Who’s to say that the house played fair? The tempting idea to change fate was a mere guise while the dealers ultimately twisted the game in Fate’s favor. By gambling with Fate, you could properly observe her, ensuring she wouldn’t cheat you. Like she had in your current life.

An alluring presence suddenly breezed past you, luxurious silk whispering against your own attire. You whirled around, your pulse spiked in anticipation. But no one was there. Your heart still hammered wildly against your chest as you circled around, eyes swiveling from one person to the next. 

There.

Your gaze snagged on a woman swathed in white fabrics, but she was already watching you through lowered lashes as she stood behind a crowd. Something deep stirred within you. A river of ice slid down your spine, yet your chest erupted into warm flames of delight. Fate. Momentarily, you were trapped in a daze, enthralled by her mysterious and beautiful demeanor. With an elegant gesture, she beckoned you to follow before a sea of fabric and bodies swallowed her. 

“Wait!” You called, lurching forward with an outstretched hand. 

You pushed your way through the mass of people, colliding harshly with various shoulders and stepping on polished shoes. People scowled and glared, but all you could do was murmur brief apologies before moving on. Fate was here and you weren’t going to lose her.

You caught small flashes of her golden accessories, reflecting the dazzling light of the chandeliers that almost seemed to direct their luster onto her. Ahead of you, heads turned when she strolled by, their attention wholly captivated on the fair woman, unaware of such a divine existence was in their midst. 

Eventually, you escaped the crowd, but Fate was nowhere to be seen. You turned your head and examined your surroundings. Lights from gambling machines reflected off the nervous faces of the players standing before them, watching intensely. Liquid sloshed out of raised glasses, their holders swaying back and forth while slurred cheers tumbled from their mouths. You crinkled your nose at the cloying perfume and excessive cologne floating through the air.

Long, slim fingers deftly gripped your shoulder. “My, my, this must have been ordained by Fate afterall!” It was like all the air had been siphoned out of the room right then, leaving an unsettling feeling hanging in the air.

You spun around and your eyes widened. While her attempt at a whimsy greeting was supposed to lighten the atmosphere, it did nothing to calm the storm brewing within your chest. Fate leaned in close to your face and tilted her head to the side, her full lips curving upward in a pleasant smile. 

Up close, you could take in each intricate detail of her divine appearance. It wasn’t the chandeliers gilding her sharp visage in gold, rather her delicate skin held its own natural gleam. She possessed no freckles, no birthmarks, and no wrinkles; her skin was absolutely devoid of any flaws. Her pale, glossy hair was swept up into a chic style. Thick, heavy lashes adorned her eyes glimmering with an innocence that contrasted greatly with the scheming she did here--as if she was oblivious to the horrors people received as their fate. It was almost unnerving. 

“You’re here to gamble with me, aren’t you? Follow me! We shall play our little game.” Fate snapped and gray smoke shrouded her body. The smoke faded as quickly as it had appeared, leaving remnants of cloudy rings rising up towards the high ceiling. Now, Fate’s entire outfit had been altered.

A black cape with intricate silver accents draped over her shoulders, trailing all the way to  her lower back. Instead of her pristine white dress, was an ivory shirt with a ruffled collar and dark corset. A black patterned top hat rested upon her head at a slight angle to finish the look. She captured exactly what one of her croupiers could be found wearing. A silver gloved hand then reached into her back pocket and a card flickered in front of your face.

“Take a seat, and we may begin.” Holding the card between her index and middle fingers, Fate gestured to a small round table tucked away in the corner. 

You plopped down in the chair. Your heart leapt, determination flowing through your veins like a rushing river. You had come here to win a gamble against Fate. All the misfortune that clouded happiness in your life was because of her. She hadn’t given you the fair fate you deserved. No matter the cost, you swore you would leave the casino victorious with a new fate. One that was fair and honorable.

Fate trailed her slim fingers along the edge of the wooden table before grasping a deck of cards that had suddenly appeared in her palms. Taking a seat, she shuffled the cards in a blur of movement.

You watch with a meticulous eye, ensuring she doesn’t slip a specific card to the bottom of the deck or take any out. 

Something about her playful manner shifted as an aloofness settled over her. “Are you sure you would still like to play? No one has bested me, and I’m certain it will remain that way once the night is over.” The next words that rolled off her honeyed-tongue were meant to shake your confidence. Meant to cause you to falter, and become uncertain. “Only fools gamble with me.” 

A fool you may be in her mind, but you had no choice. This was the only way to change your path. You dipped your head towards the deck, indicating you were ready to start. 

Fate swiftly dealt out the cards between you two. You scooped yours up, clutching them close to your chest to shield them from prying eyes. Allowing Fate to catch a glimpse of your hand would be a calamitous fault. The cards alone possessed no value, but it’s how you play them that gives them merit. 

Beginning the round, you pondered for a long moment, deciding what you should do. You plucked a card from your collection and slid it across the table. You selected a useful one that would place you in a comfortable position for the time being. Now, it was Fate’s turn. Your grip tightened on your cards, knuckles turning bone white as you watched her.

Fate leisurely sifted through her options. Her expression was dull and a slight frown crossed her lips. It was as if this was boring her, like the possible outcome of your future--which she ultimately decided--was a trivial matter. Time seemed to stretch on for an eternity when sweat began to dot your brow, and the hair on the back of your neck rose. Finally, she laid down her choice. You released a quiet sigh of relief. Good. You were still at a decent start.

It was like a dance as the rounds continued. But instead of two partners harmonizing their movements as one, you were a marionette and Fate was the puppeteer pulling the strings, dictating each movement you performed. You were certain she had no possible way of knowing what cards you held, yet she had managed to back you up into a corner. 

You wagered away your deepest aspirations and dreams in hope of winning them back later on in the game. When that failed to succeed, you decided to risk the happiest memories with family and friends. You gambled away all the good deeds you did for society. You gambled away your chance to find love. You even went as far as to sacrificing a couple years off your life. 

A dark chuckle fell from Fate’s mouth. “Do not think your righteous ideals make you invincible against an unjust life.” Fate cooed. Her words echoed throughout your mind, and a knot of dread unraveled in your stomach. She chose her next move, giving herself a further lead.

You silently cursed, thrumming your fingers anxiously on your thigh. You knew relying on luck was futile, but hoping for a lucky star to shine down on you might be your only chance left. Surely, she’d cheated somehow. Surely, she’d ruined your chance of winning at the beginning. Surely, Fate doesn’t play fair. 

You had a few more cards left, meaning a chance for victory still remained. You only had to wait for that tiny thread of luck to appear. Then you would grasp it and--

She placed down her final card, and your heart sank and sank into a never ending abyss of despair. You lost. The clamoring background of the casino faded to a dull thrum as everything quieted, the only sound was your raging heartbeat and heavy breaths. 

“Please,” you begged, clasping your shaking hand’s around Fate’s. “That’s not fair, I deserve another chance!” 

All your pleads were met only with a boundless silence from Fate. Her gaze bored into yours, holding a cruel indifference.

And that is when you realized in this elaborate tapestry of life, Fate was the sole weaver. She was the one who spun the thread, measured it, stitched it into the fabric, and eventually severed it. She forged and sealed the paths of time and existence. 

So if someone asked you, “How do you win a gamble against Fate?” The answer will be you cannot, as she cannot be defied or bested. Only accepted.

January 13, 2023 22:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.