16 comments

Drama Crime

This story contains sensitive content

WARNING: This story contains death and references to insanity.


1936


I'm going to kill 'Aunt Maddie'. Prancing about like she owns everything, talking in that 'high-and-mighty', condescending voice. It makes me sick. I'll show her that she doesn't own me.


I suppose it isn't good to sit here and brood. I don't know how long I've been like this. When I sat down it was black outside and the oil lamp had just started to burn. Now the flame is gone and the sun is showering light upon the walls. I sigh. My hours of worry cost me another lamp and I still have no solution. I get up and shave, noticing the dark circles around my eyes. This isn't doing me any good.


My pale coat and bowler hat are hanging patiently by the door. I put them on and walk outside, towards the café, as if I hadn't a care in the world. If only. The streets are lively and swarming with people. Businessmen, artists, children and old ladies, all bustling and shouting good-natured greetings to everyone they pass. Old ladies... Maybe I should visit Lady Mirrelton again soon. It must be very lonely living like she does, with no-one else to talk to. No-one else...


Very silly of dear 'Aunt Maddie' to will me money. Doesn't she realise that I'm just itching for an excuse to kill her?


I step inside the café, the smell of grilled sandwiches and coffee hitting me like a wave. The waitress grins at me and shows me a table near the window with a wave of her hand. I sit down and smile as she walks away. She doesn't take my order; She doesn't need to. I'm a regular here.


Now, the problem at hand. How to get money. After one month of 'forgetting' to pay rent my landlady is getting suspicious, and besides, soon I might not even have enough money to feed myself. I shouldn't have ordered, but I've got to keep appearances up, so maybe it was better that way.


How should I do it? I don't own a knife, it was taken from me last year at the bar. (All I did was give Bobby a bleeding ear. It's not a crime.) A shame though. I would've liked to see the fear in her eyes when I unsheathed it. I laugh, imagining her face. Three pairs of inquisitive eyes turn towards me. How did I get here? I look around. I recognize this café.

I've been here before. I want to share the joke (Imagine her scream!) but that would give it all away. Bad luck to get arrested for murder before it's done.


Hanging? No, you can't wipe finger prints off a rope. I stroke my chin. I must've shaved this morning. Poison? Perfect. But which kind? 'Aunt Maddie' lives alone, so I could use a slow-acting poison. I rub my hands together.


The waitress is back with my food and an almost volcanic coffee. She knows how I like it; Sweet, with lots of cinnamon. There's too much cinnamon and the coffee here is always too hot or too cold, but cinnamon is tricky and it's the service that counts. She smiles at me, and I smile back. I should ask her name.


How do I raise money? My job doesn't give me enough but it would be plain career suicide to ask for a raise. I think back to Lady Mirrelton. I really should visit her soon. Maybe she could be persuaded to lend me some until I can pay her back. After all, I get it when she dies anyway. I sip my coffee and smile warmly as the sweet liquid trickles down my throat. Ah. Perfect.



I laugh again. The waitress is staring so I give her an especially devilish grin. She turns away; I unsettled her. I cackle loudly, and more heads turn towards me. I stare back at them with a monkey's grin on my face. The fat woman with a bald patch is getting uncomfortable. I'm not surprised. I would be uncomfortable with that many chins too.


A little man in the corner has just woken up. I flip my grin on him, then quickly switch it off and turn away. He has a stern look on his face that reminds me of my childhood tutor. Nasty little man.


A casual glance across the tables tells me that it's the café's 'quiet time'. Only two tables are occupied. At the one closest to me, a comfortably round woman with a benevolent face is reclining in a chair, smoking. A stern-faced little man sits at the other – Funny, he reminds me of someone.


Stop getting distracted. I've settled on a slow-acting poison, so that I can watch her face as she realises that I've killed her. She'll be helpless. I might stay while she pleads and begs for me to cure her, until she's down on her knees begging for mercy. Then I'll leave, just in case anyone comes along.


What to do, what to do. I cling to the idea of getting money from Lady Mirrelton, pride forgotten. If only she would die – How can I think that? Such a nice old lady. But still the thought lingers, not pushed away or fully accepted.


Which poison? I stand up, kicking over my chair and leave. I don't bother checking my wallet for money. If I did eat anything, I didn't notice it, so why should I pay? I blend into the crowd on my way back home. The air stinks of people, and everyone is rushing about, attentive only to themselves.



- The waitress stared at the door, a broken chair lying unheeded beside her. The gentleman hadn't paid his bill. -



I've been so lost in thought that I hadn't noticed leaving the café. I must be near home. I wonder if I paid for my coffee, then decide that it doesn't matter.


The door slams behind me. Now where did I put that book?


There it is. I stand on a table, kicking over a lamp as I reach for the top shelf. The book falls into my hands. 'Beginner's Guide To Deadly Poisons'. Just what I need. I settle down to read and flick through the pages.


'Thallium'. That sounds right. '800mg'... 'lethal dose'. Good... 'Varied symptoms'. Hmm... 'very painful'... and very slow... All in order. 'Often found in rat poison.' Perfect. Except I won't be there to watch her die, although it's a small price to pay to be rid of that rat. At least she'll die slowly. In the safety of my own home I laugh again. The sound echoes around the walls, harsh and gravelly. Time to plan properly.


If I was the criminal type, how would I kill Lady Mirrelton? I would use poison, of course (even if I were the criminal type I wouldn't be able to stomach knifing her, and anyway I lost it last year). Any old household poison. Rat poison would be as good as any. And of course if I were the criminal type, I would do it... Tonight.


Out of pure curiosity I rummage around the house for some rat poison. I find it in the corner of the kitchen, dusty but still intact. Now if I were the criminal type I would pour this into something small and put it in my pocket for ready use. I do. Good.


I've figured it out. It will happen tonight. Everything's ready. Now to wait.


No. I've been deluding myself. I can't do it. I can't, I can't. Lady Mirrelton has always been kind to me. I was more than her nephew; I was her friend. I can't kill her in cold blood. I walk to the window and stare out at the cool night sky. This late already? I must be going mad.


It's time. I run along, trying to keep to the shadows, behind bushes and trees as often as I can. I've read enough of this stuff to be a professional. The house isn't far. Almost there.


I arrive, and after knocking for a considerable length of time I'm admitted by 'Aunt Maddie' herself. She says nothing until we're inside.


“Spots!” she says, her wrinkles creasing and multiplying as she gives me a ghoulish smile. I have to suppress a snarl. Silly childish nickname.


It's warm here, candles glowing faintly along the hallway. 'Aunt Maddie' is old-fashioned, she can't bare anything else. Again I have to suppress a snarl, but she doesn't seem to notice, leading me up the stairs as if I were a new servant. Her dress, yellow with age, trails behind her.


“Tea, Spots?” she asks, smiling – if you can call it smiling – at me. Inwardly I bristle at the hated nickname, but outwardly I only smile back and say, “No thank you Aunt Maddie. Should I make some for you?” in what I hope is the voice of a caring 'nephew'. She nods, and her wrinkles multiply again until her face is just mountains and valleys with two colourless eyes set deep inside.


I prepare the tea in the next room, hearing her bones creak as she lowers herself into a chair. I pour the rat poison into her drink and slowly stir it in. When I'm sure that it's fully dissolved, I stop stirring and carefully bring the cup in to the old relic. She accepts the tea with a toothless smile plastered on her face and gestures to a chair.


I stare at her, careful to hide my hate. The only thing stopping me from getting up here and now and strangling her is the thought of what will happen to her after I'm gone. I imagine her crawling on the floor, unable to get up, pain racking her body with every breath. Her voice interrupts my pleasant daydream, saying “Thank you. You're the only person who's bothered to visit me this year.” I can see why. Detestable old lady. I can't wait until she dies.


I stand up and ask her to excuse me. “I have some business to attend to,” I say. She just pulls a sad puppy face and nods. I tell her I can find my own way out, and leave without another word.


As I walk away I chuckle quietly to myself. The old bird was so desperate for company that she forgot to pull her 'regal lady' act on me. Well, you'll have a real need for company soon, Miss High-and-Mighty Lady Madeline Mirrelton.



- Out on the river, a fisherman started with fear as a sound like the laugh of Death reached his ears. -



One month later...


News spreads fast, and when it comes to news about murder there are only two types of people: Those who are ghoulishly excited, and those who pretend not to be. So naturally the papers sold fast when it was headline news, and each paper promised its own 'unique story'. 'Lady Mirrelton Dies: Exclusive Story from Eye-Witness' was the bold claim of one paper. 'Serial Killer Strikes Again', the guess of another, as well as the ludicrous 'Lady Hermit Says Hello To Death', 'Lady Mirrelton Meets Her Doom', 'Yet Another Mysterious Poisoning', and suchlike from innumerable others. Only one paper solidly refused to join the trend, broadcasting the news 'War Imminent: Inside Scoop' to anyone who cared. Needless to say, they didn't sell much.


Being her 'devoted nephew', I naturally have to attend the inquest. So far nothing much has happened. I yawn. I might fall asleep soon. I won't miss anything.


The Coroner calls the doctor to the stand. I shiver. Inquests are unpleasant at the best of times, but now... I wonder if I could be hanged for Attempted Murder. Or would it be Murderous Intent?


The questions have already began. I missed the first few. It proceeded like this:


Coroner: What relation were you to the deceased?

Doctor: Second cousin twice removed, I believe. She had a large family, although she wasn't visited often.

Coroner: Kindly answer the questions and nothing else. I meant, did you attend the deceased?

Doctor: No.

(The Coroner looks ruffled)

Coroner: How accurately can you place the time of death?

Doctor: Between ten days and two weeks.

Coroner: Have you yet held a post-mortem?

Doctor: Yes.

Coroner: Well?

Doctor: The post-mortem revealed distinct traces of thallium.

Coroner: Thallium?

Doctor: Commonly found in rat poison.

(I start. Rat poison. I remember that night and shiver again.)

Coroner: You believe there was a sufficient amount to cause death?

Doctor: Yes.

(The audience can't keep quiet.)

Coroner: Could it have been swallowed by accident?

Doctor: No.

Coroner: Can you give a reason for this?

Doctor: After a thorough search of the house no rat poison was found.

Coroner: Could it conceivably be suicide?

Doctor: No.

(The Coroner has to shout for silence.)

Coroner: Then you believe it is murder?

Doctor: Yes.


By now the blood has drained from my face and an almost overwhelming wave of guilt floods my senses. The word rings in my ears like a church bell. Murder. It takes all the strength I have not to jump up and confess. But I didn't do it. I need to convince myself that I didn't do it.


People are looking at me. They're talking about me. “Poor dear. The nephew, can't you see darling, he must be distraught. He looks positively ill.” I can see the speaker, a middle-aged woman with her husband. She gives me a friendly smile. But I look behind her, at the ones I can't hear, and they don't look friendly at all.


I didn't miss anything. Or rather I did, because I was asleep the whole time.


The rest of the inquest goes without much fuss. But what comes next is worse.


The trial. Why aren't I surprised? Somehow I can't tell who is on trial. It might be me. But it doesn't really matter, does it?


The next witness is being called. In the witness box, he swears that the evidence he will give will be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I doubt it. He has big, glazed eyes like a cod, and a face to match. Completely untrustworthy, in my opinion. His evidence amounts to hearing a laugh across the river near Lady Mirrelton's house, two weeks ago. The audience titters and I laugh openly, glad that no-one takes him seriously. I should've been quieter. He turns around and points at me. “That's the same laugh,” he says.


I'm called to the witness box.


A an angry bean pole of a man is barking questions at me like a rabid dog. I yawn, and wait until he is finished before saying calmly, “I assure you I didn't murder my aunt.” He looks surprised, and so does the jury. Murderers never use the word 'murder'. I don't see any reason for it; that's what it is, so why not call it that? But to the jury it gives me a point in my favour.


I can't remember the trial. Fear must've frozen my memory. I don't know who was on trial. My only consolation is, at least it isn't me. That much I know. The only thing I remember is the stern-faced little man from the café in the witness box. He gave his occupation as psychologist. I don't see what he's got to do with it.


The jury takes almost an hour to consider the verdict, but I can guess what it will be.


“Guilty, My Lord.” I guessed wrong.


Silence. Dead silence. I laugh, and even to my own ears it sounds mad, the voice of Death thwarted. Everything runs to black.


I don't remember the verdict, but it wasn't 'Not Guilty'. Then everything becomes confused.


They shove me into a police car, and tell me we're on our way to Dartmoor Asylum. A long way. The officer next to me is smiling, but I can't see the joke. “I wasn't the one on trial. Why are you taking me away?” I ask. He doesn't answer, he just keeps smiling. Dartmoor Asylum. I run my tongue over my cracked lips. They can't take me there. I'm not insane. Am I?

June 15, 2023 15:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Michał Przywara
20:33 Jun 21, 2023

That's a fun caper :) A bit of Jekyll and Hyde. The title caught my eye, and the take on the prompt is interesting too. Who are the friends? Perhaps one way of looking at it is Lady Mirrelton and the narrator - maybe once upon a time. She clearly thinks fondly of him. But then there are the two identities in the narrator too, who have come apart and become quite separate. It was neat seeing how each one viewed the world through his own distinct eye. But the guilty verdict seems fitting, for in the end, both identities contemplated murder...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
21:47 Jun 15, 2023

This is a fine first effort, Zatoichi. I liked that you went with first-person POV for both characters, though they are housed in the same body. That's a creative take on the prompt, and I enjoyed it. A couple of things: Fingerprints are easily kept off rope. In most cases, they aren't usable. This line: "I don't remember the verdict, but it wasn't 'Innocent'. Then everything becomes confused." The courts don't give a verdict of "innocent." It's either "guilty" or "not guilty." You did a splendid job here, my friend, and your writing was ...

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
07:39 Jun 16, 2023

Thanks! I didn't know fingerprints can be kept off rope, although I suppose I could keep that in because my murderer doesn't have that knowledge (it's just a writing cheat but hey, it works!). I completely forgot about the guilty/not guilty. I'll change that. Thanks again! :)

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
13:56 Jun 16, 2023

Oh and did you notice the Easter egg? Sweet coffee with cinnamon... 'Cinnamon is tricky' ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:07 Jun 15, 2023

Oh, no. Of course he is not insane. I caught it right away that he was talking to himself in the italics and not quite in reality. I thought it was a good way to portray that he was not in his right mind. Don't remember seeing anything wrong. Good unique first story.

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
19:39 Jun 15, 2023

Thanks for reading and liking this :) I wanted my first story to be something... different. I hope I made it that. One question for you: Did it seem confusing? The switching between 'viewpoints', I mean. Oh, and if you have any more feedback I'd be happy to hear it (especially if you find anything wrong) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:02 Jul 13, 2023

I enjoyed the first person perspective on schizophrenia. The split was a nice touch of contrast.

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:31 Jun 22, 2023

Hi, I really like this take on the prompt. I see you have explained it in the comments - I don't think that is necessary, it's written well enough for the reader to pick it up for themselves. I spotted a couple of bits that might need some attention if you were to do another edit, but overall it's pretty solid. I love this line: She nods, and her wrinkles multiply again until her face is just mountains and valleys with two colourless eyes set deep inside. This is good too: when it comes to news about murder there are only two types of p...

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
20:49 Jun 22, 2023

Thank you! You're the second person who's liked that line. Yes I like that line too. The whole news paragraph was the result of an 'inspired moment' so even though it's slightly irrelevant and a roundabout way of saying that Lady Mirrelton's dead, I didn't have the heart to cut it. Thanks for reading both of my stories, hopefully I'll have more soon to show you. I'll try not to disappoint! :)

Reply

22:16 Jun 22, 2023

Out of interest Zatoichi - what country are you based in? If you don't mind me asking? I'm in England UK.

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
07:54 Jun 23, 2023

England, UK. Quick question: If UK could stand for anything else, while still covering the same meaning (and possibly others), what would you make it stand for?

Reply

19:20 Jun 23, 2023

I'm afraid I cant think of anything polite lol

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
09:42 Jun 24, 2023

Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
22:17 Jun 18, 2023

I love it when writers hit the ground running with their first story submissions on here. And what a first entry to mark your place on Reedsy! Probably my favorite thing about short fiction is how unconventional you can get. Especially since there's a 3k word limit, you can do experiment however you want or get as wacky and stylistic as you please for a couple thousand words. Exhibit A: This story. The italics, the difference in narration styles, the Aunt Maddie vs. Lady Mirrelton name distinction. It's a clever way of exploring the narrato...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joe Smallwood
12:22 Jun 18, 2023

Hi Zatouchi, You have real talent as a writer. That is certain. People here are going to like your stories too. Good luck with your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zatoichi Mifune
17:14 Jun 15, 2023

SPOILER ALERT: If you want to figure out how this story is relevant to the prompt by yourself, don't read this. The whole explanation is in 3 words, 12 syllables: Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). Where the person in question experiences shifts between multiple separate personalities. The murderer and would-be murderer are the same person, with 2 personalities. It's relevant because it's 1 personality split/drifted into 2. An unusual and possibly unsound interpretation of the prompt, but it still stands. Hope you enjoyed reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.