Candy Girl Confections

Submitted into Contest #133 in response to: Set your story in a confectionery shop.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance African American Mystery

Candy Girl Confections

Keyes Family Confections has been in my family over ninety years and the magically ancestrally recipes passed downed through the generations never lost their flavor, but they have become boring and unable to compete with the new candy store that hit my hometown six months ago. Jazzy G’s Candies, which sells booze filled, CBD, ,marijuana-laced, and some nothing but chocolates thrown into the mix.  

I, Lyrical Keyes, recently inherited, Keyes Family Confections, which has been struggling financially for years and the struggle has become more intense with the arrival and insane success of Jazzy G’s Candies. So, Keyes Family Confections temporarily closed its doors two months ago. When customer loyalty is wooed by booze and Mary Jane, the high can be indefinitely, but the flavor of the confection fleeting. Lyrical’s great-grandmother taught her every flavor of confection must be infused with love and she told her to create a special one-, two-, or three-word mantra to recite for each piece created and include it on a handwritten piece of paper. Besides, her Great Z’s wisdom Lyrical has plenty of ideas of what needs to happen to revive the family’s confectionary but is an uphill battle with old school relatives who do not what change. If only she can find a way to blend enough old school with new school, she may have a chance to change stubborn minds.  

Lyrical wants to transform the confectionary shoppe into a confectionary café where all confections were made from scratch and artistically designed in house. Chocolates would be infused with coffee, exotic teas, spices, herbs, homemade preserves, and Lyrical signature” Great Grand Z’s to die for sweet potato truffle infused with chocolate oil (a sweet potato pie recipe Lyrical’s great-grandmother Zitty had secretly given to her before she passed on and told Lyrical with a wink and a smile to put her own twist on it). But Lyrical’s Great Grand Z’s sweet potato truffle recipe is not enough to get the old schoolers on the bus from old town to new town.  

Lyrical frustration grew day after day her people were working her nerves. She lives with her mom, maternal grandparents, and an aunt, but one night they became too much to handle so she went to the confection shoppe for some quiet time. She reaches the shoppe, opens the door, and a gust of wind blows dust from floor into her face. Lyrical quickly closes, locks door, and grabs a broom leaning against a display case. She sweeps, sweeps, sweeps, and sweeps until she finally drops to the floor against a wall, and a piece of the wall bulges out pushing into her back. Lyrical reaches behind her back to remove the piece of the wall causing her discomfort, but as she does a tiny heart shaped box falls from its hiding space, which was behind the piece of wall that became dislodged. Lyrical examines the tiny heart shaped box, it seems to belong to a puzzle of some sort. Her curiosity is heightened as she brings the heart shaped box closer to her eyes to read an inscription, which CG♥. Lyrical, felt a rush of déjà vu, as if these initials were connected to her, but how could they be. Lyrical could tell by its appearance that the tiny heart had been around far longer than she. She fell asleep trying to figure out the mystery of the tiny heart shaped box and she dreams of Keyes Family Confections being blowing up and becoming known worldwide for its delectable and artistic works of candies served in edible with a love note on the side.  

Lyrical did not wake until early morning, but upon awakening she set out to find out the mystery behind the tiny heart shaped box, which when she went to pick up from the floor, the top of it popped off. Lyrical picked up the bottom half of the box and discovered what resembled specks of chocolate residue and a mysterious breeze lifts the specks of chocolate from the heart and swirls around her face, Lyrical feels the touch of a hand, a moment of a de ja vu, and sees a vision of a young girl with two poufy braids is standing in front of what looks like a wall safe located somewhere in the confection shoppe. The girl looks like her, but it is not, she recognizes the heart shaped birthmark on the girl’s neck, it is her Great Grand Z. Lyrical’s heart skips a beat, and she starts to hyperventilate. Stay calm girl, stay girl, she whispers over and over to herself. She is thinking to herself, I know everything about, so where would be the safe be in the shop. Lyrical’s intuition leads her back to the tiny heart shaped box’s hiding place, and she reaches inside. She can feel something, but it is too dark to see what it is. She retrieves her purse on the floor, retrieves her cellphone, turns on its flashlight, and shines it into the open space. She sees the safe from her vision. To reach the safe, Lyrical needs tools to dislodge more of the wall. There is a toolbox in a closet in the office of the shoppe, so she runs and retrieves a hammer from it. Lyrical is hyped and hammers away at the wall; within fifteen minutes she has made a big enough space to squeeze halfway in and use the heart to open the safe, as her Great Grand Z did in her vision.  Lyrical paused before opening the safe, when she did, she discovered photos of her Great Grand Z and a mystery young man, candy recipes, and love letters. Apparently, Lyrical’s grandmother was a love child and the confection shoppe was how Great Grand Z and her mystery lover kept the memory of the forbidden love alive. There were so many recipes that the Keyes family had never seen, and they were old school recipes or least created by Great Grand Z who is old school. Lyrical thank Great Grand Z by blowing a kiss in the wind. She also created a signature candy (in memory of her Great Grand Z’s secret, which Lyrical kept a secret, her family was too judgmental) Everlasting Love, filled with passion fruit, sweet cream, shaped liked a heart. She also renamed the shop, Candy Girl Confections, because that was the nickname Great Grand Z’s secret love gave her, apparently, she was addicted to candy. By the way, my best friend is cousin to a guy in a well-known group and they came to the grand opening and sang you know what in honor of my Great Grand Z, From then on business has been KA-CHING.

.

February 19, 2022 04:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.