0 comments

General

There was once a reaper. Not the classical kind, a simple human being that could summon a scythe when it was that person's time. Though this same reaper wished it didn't have this job. It hated taking lives because it had to watch people scream and cry for them to come back. To come back to life.


“Stop playing around!”

“Don’t Die on me please!”

“I'm not ready for this!!”

“My baby!”


Again and again this reaper watched tears roll and people beg for them to be taken instead. This was one of the few jobs where it might end in such a way. There was a man they had to take away. His name was Anthony, he was going to commit suicide. This always made the reaper feel bad. They hated when humans took their lives, but she could understand the circumstances. There was still a lot left to live for, his daughter, his nephews and nieces, his friends. But this man seemed to have had enough of his past tearing him away from the happiness he had tried so hard to achieve until an email was sent to him. The reaper was surprised he managed to hold out for so long.


“I can't take this anymore...Please watch over my family and friends..” Anthony whispered staring dead at the reaper. The scythe holding creature knows he couldn't see it but even then it made it feel as though this was its mission. The rope tightened as the reaper raised its scythe to the choking man and ended his life.


“Thank you for everything” The man whispered and disappeared. Whether it was off to heaven or hell the reaper didn't know. And it wished they didn't know of this job. Wished it did not know of the sorrows it would soon hold.

“No!!! Anthony!!”, the daughter cried. She was currently in therapy and when she heard the news she collapsed and began to sob and shake like a leaf. The reaper could sense all of the emotions. Grief and anger. Not to him but herself. The reaper remembered the email. She had never apologized it seemed and soon the reaper felt the regret of the child in front of her.

“Im sorry...Im so so sorry”, her therapist whispered to the little girl. It did no justice as the girl broke inside. The reaper watched her depression darken. To its once blue-ish color to a dark grey to black. This was another part it wished it didn't know. It didn't want to know what the people felt. The emotions and thoughts racing through the humans mind.


This job was many things. Happy and easy wasn’t one of them. Sometimes it wished it could quit but that wasn't possible. It fufilled the wish of the dead man to continue to steer the child away from suicide and her attempts at it. The girl was so dedicated to doing it but everytime the reaper sent a reminder through her head or even a slim possibility of fear after death. It's been like this for half a year now of reverting the girl from death until finally one day she broke on her own brothers death day. The reaper wasn’t there to watch her that day.


It was sent off to a new location when it finished reaping another and its heart shattered. The girl was there at a tree. Hanging like her old man. The reaper sent its scythe down on her as the girl was sent off just like the others that same day. Once again the cycle continued as her cousins began to feel the same dread the daughter did.


The cycle continued as one of them followed her footsteps. Years passing as everytime one person from the family passed on. The reaper hated its job more and more. It wished it did not know the sorrow. It wished it didn't have to kill each and every family member to help them move on. It wished it didnt know what it felt like to be human. It wished it didnt know...For at one point it was in the same position as that girl. It was once as sad as depressed at her. Whether it was a man or woman it would never know. It would never know ow why it was a reaper. It would never know why it died. But this girl was only different in one way. She had a protector. The reaper was that protector and it did it's job the best it could. It wished... It wished it wasn't the protector.. It wished it didn't know what it was like to have a heart. I wished I didn't know what it was like to watch someone cry



November 15, 2019 22:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.