0 comments

Friendship

True Friends

November Eighth, 2023

Colin: ‘The train trundled along the tracks on the road to Barcelona. The restless passengers stirred and muttered, checking their watches and phones. They were nearly jolted out of their seats when the train screeched to a halt.’

Marco: What’s this?

Colin: It’s my story. I’m writing a story based on a true life experience. See if you can guess what it is! ;)

Marco: Ok sounds fun.

Colin: ‘It was late in the noon, the was sunlight dimmed, and the people heard the train doors open. The boot-falls of heavy feet echoed in the steel tube, striking fear and uncertainty into the hearts of those who heard them.’

Marco: Oh! I know this one!



Colin: Which one is it, then?

Marco: The one with the burglar?



Colin: Damn right! That was quicker than I thought :)

Marco: So you’re writing about when we first met?

Colin: Yes.

Marco: Cool! You can make it more exciting by exaggerating some parts, but you can slap ‘based on a true story’ on it and people will think it’s real!

Colin: Yeah. No matter how far-fetched it is, people will think it's true. People are dumb.

Marco: LOL you’re damn right. Anyway please continue!

Colin: ‘The man, tall and thin, strode down the silent halls, a revolver at his side. His face was concealed in a mask of red cloth, though his slick black hair was visible in some parts.’

Marco: Was it a revolver? I can’t remember.

Colin: I think so. You wouldn’t know, though, you weren’t the one who had it pointed between your eyes.

Marco: True that. Carry on.

Colin: ‘The sky turned a wicked shade of grey, and raindrops began to fall, drizzling down the windows like the race cars you used to pretend they were when you were a kid. A flash of lightning illuminated the intruder’s masked face.’

Marco: That’s not true.

Colin: What’s not?

Marco: It wasn’t raining or storming or anything.

Colin: You said exaggerate!

Marco: Ok fine, I guess you’re right. It does make it dramatic.

Colin: Yeah, you think?

Marco: Just try not to make it too unbelievable.

Colin: Will do.

Marco: Ok.

Colin: I’m going up to the city for a few days for work so I won’t be able to write for a while.

Marco: Ok cool, have fun.

Colin: It’s work, nitwit! :P

Marco: Good point, see you soon!

November Eleventh, 2023

Colin: ‘The man fingered the gun at his hip and eyed the anxious passengers. Suddenly, something broke the silence: the sound…of a burp!’

Marco: What? That never happened!

Colin: Well, it sort of did. It was a hiccup, but burps are funnier.

Marco: Ha ha ha! LOL! :) You’re right. How was your work trip?

Colin: It was okay. I got to spend some time in the city with my family. We went to the museum! I’ll send you some photos later. ‘The intruder whipped out his revolver and turned to the source of the sound. A pale, sickly-looking man sat uneasily, clutching his stomach. A tattered work name tag read Walter Evans. The intruder barked something in Spanish, and the terrified-looking Walter seemed to understand, and pulled out his wallet. Several wads of cash were pressed into the hands of the burglar, Walter’s wide, frightened eyes seemed to say, “That’s all I have! Go away!

‘The burglar extended his hand and made a ‘give’ gesture. Walter turned out his wallet, showing that it was empty. The burglar growled, snatched the wallet from Walter’s hands and ripped out the credit card. Walter let out a whimper of terror as the burglar threw the wallet to the ground and raised his gun.

‘The gun was cocked, but the bullet did not leave the barrel then; another passenger shot from his seat and tackled the burglar to the ground, pinning his gun arm down. The thief tried to shoot his attacker, but accidentally sent a bullet sailing through the window. The brave man wrestled the gun out of the burglar’s hand and pointed it at its owner, slowly standing up, beckoning for the robber to raise his hands in surrender.

‘The robber nodded, raised his hands and slowly, slowly, rose to his feet. The next few seconds were a blur: there was a quick sound of the click of a gun, then a flash of smoke and a burst of sound as the robber fired his second gun, the bullet whistling through the air, catching the man in the arm. The man groaned in agony and dropped his gun, sinking to the floor in defeat. Police sirens wailed nearer and nearer, until the robber cursed loudly, and dashed out of the train, fleeing to safety.’

Marco: Wow! That’s great! Although that has got to be the epitome of all exaggerations! But the reality was a lot less dramatic: he took your money, didn’t threaten you, then he heard police sirens and fled, but I managed to pickpocket him and get your money back. That was where we first met.

Colin: Yeah. I was this tired, depressed, lonely gardener and you were this big-shot movie star. What movie was it that you were in?

Marco: ‘Grey Fire’. You’ve seen it, right?

Colin: Not yet, but now that’s at the top of my to-do list!

Marco: Ha! Good. It turned out pretty well, but we weren’t very well funded. Still, it turned out way better than I’d expected under the circumstances. I played Marhal, the Grey Fire captain.

Colin: I bet I’ll recognise you as I see you. It’s a movie adaptation of a book, right?

Marco: Yeah.

Colin: I wonder if my book ever gets published, they’d make a movie?

Marco: It’d make a good movie. Promise me you’ll let me play myself?

Colin: Well, it’s not you, it’s a different person based on you.

Marco: Well, yeah, I knew that.

Colin: That’s all I’ve got for my story for now.

Marco: Send me what’s next when you get to it!

November Thirteenth, 2023

Colin: ‘And Peter opened his eyes to see the pale, concerned face of Walter standing over him. The bright white hospital lights had momentarily blinded him, but he knew he’d always recognise the face of the man who had saved his life. “Walter,” Peter croaked, lifting his uninjured arm. Walter grasped his new friend’s hand firmly and said, “I carried you all the way to the hospital.”

‘“What about your money?” Peter asked weakly. “That burglar took it!”

‘“I wouldn’t take money over the life of a fellow individual,” said Walter. “And guess what? The doctor said you’re going to live!”’

Marco: Colin, my man, you are one heck of an author, but it’s gone a bit too far to say, ‘Based on a true story

Colin: Don’t worry. I’ll add a few bits and pieces here, like the time we joined the army and there was that battle where I got shot in the leg? Still got the scar.

Marco: So in the story, we both get shot?

Colin: Yeah, why not? And maybe I die of the wound right at the end, so there’s a bullet at the start and a bullet at the end, as kind of a theme?

Marco: Bro, this is gonna be a really sad story.

Colin: Sad stories win awards, my friend.

Marco: If you say so.

July Twenty-First, 2024

Colin: ‘And when Walter finally passed into the clouds of Heaven, Peter was beside him, his rifle cast down, his hands caressing poor Walter. He wished that there had been a hospital nearby that he could have carried his friend to, like Walter had done to him so many years ago. The tears were like tidal waves, seeming to choke and drown Peter, trying to take him with Walter. But Peter knew that it would be a long time before he saw his friend again. But he would. True friends always did.’ The end.

Marco: You’re done? That was a very sad story, but I loved it.

Colin: Marco, thanks for helping me through this.

Marco: Thou art most welcome.

Colin: Since when did you know Shakespeare?

Marco: It’s not Shakespeare, it’s Old English.

Colin: Same thing, really.

Marco: But it’s great that your story’s finished!

Colin: I know! Now I just need to find a publisher…



Marco: Colin…

Colin: Yeah?

Marco: I haven’t told you this, but I’ve been taking classes on publishing.

Colin: You have?

Marco: I could be your publisher.

Colin: Your description shall forever be: ‘Marco: my publisher, advisor and best friend’

Marco: Can the corn, Colin.

Colin: That’s a lot of ‘C’s.



Marco: I know.

Colin: Marco, thanks for getting me through this. I know I’ve said it before, but I can’t stress that enough. I wouldn’t have been able to do this without your invaluable help.

Marco: Thank you for giving me this experience. It’s been one hell of an eight months.

Colin shut his laptop and sighed. His book was finished, and he had a publisher. He could sit back and relax, spend time with his family, and maybe, just maybe, make it to the bestseller’s list. He hooked up his printer to his laptop and printed out a copy for his wife to read. “Honey!” he called. “I’m finished!”

One year later

True Friends

(A New York Times Bestseller)

By Colin Stanley

Based on a true story

This is a story of love

Of hate

Of happiness

Of grief

This is a story

Of two true friends

Colin sat at his desk reading the blurb of his bestseller over and over again, in disbelief. Marco had done a breathtaking job on the publishing, and had even designed the cover too: a silhouette of Walter carrying Peter to the hospital. At this point, Colin didn’t care if his book was made into a movie, or if it would one day become hugely unpopular. All that mattered was the present. All that mattered was Marco, his true friend.

June 10, 2022 08:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.