0 comments

Science Fiction Teens & Young Adult

I feel my phone vibrating, and quickly answer it. Hello, I say, trying to be quiet. “Finally, I have been trying to reach you.” I hold the phone away from my ear. Sarah could be loud sometimes. I was busy, I told her. “Mitzie, are you at the library again?” I smile to myself. My best friend knew me well. Yes, I am, I tell her, now keep it down. “I swear you would live there, if they’d let you.” I could hear the annoyance in her voice. Alright so what’s up, I ask. “I was thinking we could hang out tonight.” Sure, where do you want to meet? “I was thinking we could go for pizza, at Delila’s Pizzeria.” That sounds good, I’ll meet you there, say seven, I tell her. I finally got off the phone with her and looked down at the book I was holding. Architecture-American Gargoyles. Sarah is my best friend, but some things are left unsaid. I have read more books on the history of gargoyles than probably anyone else. I let out a sigh and gathered my things to go. 

I love the hustle and bustle of New York. My apartment wasn’t too far from the city’s massive library. At twenty-four, I work as an accountant from home, so I can pick and choose my days off. That’s why I’m off on a Friday. I do a lot of work in the private sector, but always stay clear from sketchy groups. After maneuvering through the crowd, I finally made it to my apartment. I still have some time before meeting Sarah, so I head for a shower. I decided to leave my long wavy brown hair down. I usually keep it in a ponytail, but I felt like dressing up a bit. I slipped on a navy knee length dress, and only did bare minimal make up. Any type of eye makeup always makes my blue eyes stand out. I give myself a quick look over, and head out. 

New York at night is just as busy as it is during the day. I find myself periodically looking up. I always feel like I’m being watched anytime I go out after dark. When I was around nine years old, I developed a retinol eye disease that required surgery. After the surgery, my eyes seemed to be enhanced for about two months, before going back to normal. This is when I noticed, I could see closer to the tops of buildings. I hadn’t realized, there were different gargoyles on some of the buildings. It was during this time; I saw one of the gargoyles turn and look around. I tried telling my parents, but they didn’t believe me. I can’t really blame them; gargoyles are made of stone. Ever since then, I have researched to find anything about their history. Other than the references of the different kinds, there wasn’t much, on the side of folk lore. This is one mystery I am determined to solve. Even if no one else knows. I know, I wasn’t seeing things. From the first time I saw them move, now I feel watched anytime I go out at night. I shake off the feeling and make my way to the restaurant.

The place is already packed, when I walk in. Thankfully, Sarah came early and had us a table. “Look at you all dressed up for little owe me.” I can’t help but laugh at her. I always look good for my bestie, I say smiling. “So, are you dressed up to look for a guy?” Sarah don’t start, I sigh. “Well you look so good, so why are you single?” Sarah has strawberry blonde hair that goes to about the middle of her back. She has it curled tonight, and the green blouse she is wearing makes her green eyes pop. She is the prettier one of the two of us. I went on a date a couple of weeks ago, I explain. You already know that he didn’t call me after. He just wasn’t a good fit, I guess. “Please tell me you didn’t mention your collection of books on gargoyles.” I roll my eyes this time. No, I did not. “I really don’t understand your obsession with gargoyles.” It’s just a hobby, I tell her. Right then the server brought out our pizza. Sarah always orders for me, so I’m not surprised that she had ordered before I got there. The pizza distracts her from asking any more about my books. We ended up staying there chatting, for a couple of hours. Sarah lets out a yawn and I follow right after. “Guess we should head home before it gets too late.” I agree and give her a hug before we head our different ways. 

I find myself looking up as I always do. Gargoyles should just be stone, but my gut is saying they’re not. This mystery has been on my mind since I first saw them. I absently walk around when I feel myself being pushed into an alley. Before I could even scream, a large hand covered my mouth. The smell of alcohol and smoke reached my nose. His cologne is not strong enough to mask it. I look up to see a large man around six foot four, pinning me by the dumpster. My small build of five foot two was no match. I try to knee him, but he blocks it. The more I squirmed, he would just hold me tighter. He has shaggy brown hair and brown eyes. I could see how bloodshot they were because of our proximity. He starts to rub his free hand up my thigh, and I fight even more. This time I managed to free my arm and land an elbow to his rib. This only makes him angrier. He grabs me by my throat, and I start to fade in and out. Right before I would have blacked out, I heard something growl. Suddenly I fell to the ground. Still slipping in and out of consciousness. What little I do make out, makes my blood run cold. My attacker is fighting with someone or something. It was hard to tell. This thing was gray and very large. it had some human features, but rougher. Next thing I know, they both disappear. I shake my head to clear my shakiness. I look around and then hear a noise coming from the top of the building. How did they do that I thought. I look up, but can’t see what is happening. I decided then I had better hurry and get away while I had the chance. I make it back on the street with other people. I let out a breath I hadn’t noticed I was holding. Being in the crowd made me feel safer. I considered going to the police, but how could I possibly explain what I saw. 

I quickly head to my apartment. The entire way there, I feel like I’m being watched. After what seemed like hours, I made it home. I quickly grab some of my books on gargoyles. Could it be possible that it was one of them that saved me. I have been researching the mystery behind them for years. But, it was still a lot to take in. After a couple of hours, I found a story describing how some believed that gargoyles were created to be protectors. It was vague with not many details. I had to find out more. I knew the library would be open for a few hours on a Saturday. I take a couple of slow deep breaths. Now that the adrenaline is wearing off, I can feel the soreness in my neck. I make myself take some tylenol and go to bed. Tomorrow I can work on figuring this out. 

The next morning, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I pour myself a large cup of strong black coffee. Once I started feeling better, I got dressed and grabbed my bag. As I’m locking the door I notice a piece of paper under one of my plants. I slowly unfolded it, not knowing where it came from. The paper only had a few letters and numbers on it. With all my free time spent in the library, I knew it was telling the location of a book. I turn it over, and see a message this time. “Stay safe.” I rub my arms slightly. It wasn't cold out, but it gave me the chills. I looked up searching, but didn’t see anything. I quietly said thank you, even though no one could hear it. I knew even if I figured out all the facts, no one would believe me. With a determined look, I head for the library. 

I am thankful for whoever saved me. But I am more determined now than ever. I will find the truth no matter how long it takes.

The end. 

April 21, 2022 02:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.