0 comments

Holiday

Cathy sighed as she looked at her daughter on the couch with her new grandson. She was terrified. She knew that her daughter needed help with money; the inn was the source of that money. For the past few months, Cathy had been running numbers. The likelihood of lasting until the next holiday season were slim. Her daughter was an aspiring author in a rough spot. Meredith nodded to sleep, looking comfortable on the sofa. 

 "Mer, darling," Cathy said quietly.

 Meredith looked up, suddenly wide awake. Her baby began to cry. The sound of the newborn's cry just upset Cathy more. How could she let her family suffer like this? 

 She rushed to them, picking up the baby to give Meredith a break. As she took him, she looked at her. She looked at her more intensely than she had in a while. Her once beautiful blonde hair looked dirty, tied up in that bun on top of her head. The ocean blue eyes that showed so much emotion were clouded over and tired. Cathy had watched those eyes sparkle with excitement when she found out she was top of her class. She watched those eyes fill with tears as she held a positive pregnancy test in her hands because she had no idea how she was going to support herself and a baby. 

 "Meredith, baby, I'm so sorry,"

 Meredith's eyes slowly looked up to hers, the red and green Christmas tree lights giving her skin a soft, colored sheen. She took a deep breath. 

 "It's okay, Mom," she said quietly, as she gave her a warm smile, a radiant smile that had made so many people compliment her. She took the baby back from her mother and set him in the car seat in front of them. 

 Suddenly, Cathy had an idea. She quickly went to a nearby closet and stood on her tiptoes to reach a large, tattered box. She hurried back to the couch and smiled.

 "Come here," she coaxed as she sat on the floor, unfolding the flaps of the box and smiling.

 Meredith slid onto the floor next to her mother. Cathy pulled out an old leather photo album. She opened it and grinned. 

 "Look how little you were, Mer. Your father could pick you up with one arm. I remember on Christmas Eve that year, he carried you in one arm and a big box in another. Remember what was in that box?"

 Meredith nodded and giggled. "Maxie. God, I loved that dog, I was so surprised. You and Dad always said we couldn't afford a dog,"

 Cathy shook her head. "You begged and begged us for a dog for so long and your dad always used to say that you needed a dog, that it would teach you responsibility."

 A tear slipped from Meredith's eye as she flipped the page. The next picture depicted a young version of herself, hugging a big, shaggy yellow dog. Behind her was her father, beaming and looking as proud as a father could.

 A few more tears slipped from her eyes as she tried to catch them before her mother would see.

 "Hey, Mom? Do you think Daddy would be proud of me? He always wanted me to be so successful and look where I ended up. In an abusive relationship and broke," her voice wavered. 

 Cathy reached out and tilted her daughter's chin up. "Your dad would be so proud of you Meredith. You're so beautiful, and the kindest woman I've ever met. And you brought us an equally beautiful grandson," she nodded towards little Henry, asleep in the seat. "You might not be in the best spot right now, but you'll be okay. We'll be okay,"

 Meredith sniffled. "Mom, what if I don't get that job? I can tell something is wrong. I know the inn isn't going to last,"

 "Oh, Meredith. I didn't want you to find out. You're already stressed enough,"

 "Mom, I'm an adult now. I'm a mom. I can handle things like this. If my pitch goes through, I'll be making enough money to take care of all of us,"

 Cathy began to weep. She didn't want her daughter to have to support her. None of this would be happening if that new motel down the road hadn't moved in up the road. The inn had always been filled with young families, especially around the holidays. Suddenly, the landline phone began to ring. Cathy took a few deep breaths and scurried to the phone. She cleared her throat before answering.

 "This is Cathy Bowers," 

 The voice on the other end sounded businesslike. "Hi, Cathy. My name is Rose Eaton. I was looking for a Meredith Bowers, but I can't seem to find any other way of contacting her. I understand that she's possibly busy right now, seeing that it's Christmas eve," 

 Cathy covered the mic of the phone and looked at her daughter. "A Rose Eaton is looking for you, what should I tell her?"

 Meredith's eyes lit up. "Rose Eaton? You mean the one I pitched my chapters to?"

 Cathy gasped with excitement. "You mean?"

 Meredith ran to her mom hugging her tightly and taking the phone from her.

 "Meredith speaking ... Did you read them? That's awesome! ... Wait are you serious? ... Oh my God! Yes, of course, I can come in on Tuesday! ... Nine hundred? You're joking. ... Thank you so much, Ms. Eaton. Yes, Merry Christmas to you as well! Take care,"

 "Well?" Cathy already could tell what happened but she wanted to hear the words. 

 "They want me on their team! And she's giving me a nine hundred dollar bonus just for me to start! Mom, I'm going to be able to help you, and get my own place, finally get some more clothes and things for Henry. Mom, it's a Christmas miracle!"

 Cathy was about to congradulate her daughter on her success when she heard a car pull up. She gasped and hurried to unlock the door. A man in a suit with a young woman and three kids stood behind him. 

 "This is an inn right?" He asked.

 Cathy was so excited she could barely speak. "Uh, y-yes it is! We has four available rooms,"

 "Wonderful. Listen, I know us being here on Christmas eve is probably quite the inconvinience, so I'm going to triple your 45 dollars, per night, per room. We are going to need to stay at least a week, is that okay?"

 Cathy nodded quickly. "Yes! Yes, of course! How many rooms would you like?"

 The man looked back at the woman and kids. "Three? One for me and my wife, one for the boys, and one for Madeline,"

 Cathy was trying to do math in her head. 45 times three... times three... times seven... That was almost three thousand dollars. She felt a sense of euphoria as she reached for the keys and she smiled to herself and whispered,

 "I think we're gonna be okay,"




December 27, 2019 00:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.