Dangerous Child play

Written in response to: Write a story about someone who takes a joke way too far.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Kids

Dangerous Child Play

Oliver Baker was a rambunctious eight grader who attended Riley's Middle School in Chancellorsville, Alabama. He loved playing practical jokes on his classmates. Many of the other children often avoided him because of his annoying behavior. After the school bus dropped Oliver off at home, he ran to the mailbox. There was a large brown box that was inside. He grabbed the box and ran into the house.

“Oliver, stop running!” exclaimed Mrs. Baker.

“Okay mom,” said Oliver.

He ran into his bedroom closing the door behind him. Oliver threw his backpack across his computer chair. He kicked off his sneakers and sat onto the foot of his bed. On the front of the box read: Dodo Pranks 17845 Al Trace, CA 91326. Oliver had ordered a prank kit for sixteen dollars and ninety-five cents two weeks ago. He was so excited to see the items inside the box. Each of the eight items were carefully wrapped in plastic. There was plastic doggy do, flower that squirted water, pack of mint gum that made your teeth turn purple, a shock button, whoopee cushion, pen that used invisible ink, fart spray and zonk powder. Oliver couldn't wait to take the prank kit to school with him the next day. He emptied out all the items and place them inside his backpack. The next morning Oliver got up early for school. He ran downstairs to the kitchen where his mom was fixing breakfast. His little brother Tommy sat his highchair eating his oatmeal. There was more oatmeal on his face and hands than inside his mouth.

“Eat your oatmeal Oliver,” said Mrs. Baker. “It's good for you.”

Oliver frowned as he looked at the thick lumpy oatmeal inside his bowl. He didn't like oatmeal and didn't understand why his mother would fix it for breakfast every morning.

“I'm good mom,” said Oliver. “I'll eat breakfast at school.”

“Alright,” said Mrs. Baker.

“Bye mom,” said Oliver.

Oliver ran outside as the school bus pulled up picking up the neighbors' children. He had a mischievous smile across his face. Oliver couldn't wait until he gets to his homeroom class. Mrs. Johnson was out in the hallway talking to another teacher. Oliver went into the classroom and took a seat at the very back of the room. He took his backpack from around his shoulders placing it on the back of his chair. Mrs. Johnson stepped back into the classroom with a new student. Her name was Sally Bryant. Sally and her family had moved from Prattler, Minnesota for her father's new job. Sally took a middle seat in the back of the room right next to Oliver.

“Hello,” says Sally.

“Hi,” said Oliver.

The lunch bell rang for the children to go to lunch. Oliver grabbed his backpack and headed out the door. All the student s stood in the lunch line to get their lunch trays. Oliver took his lunch tray and sat right next to Sally. He opened up his backpack and took out the zonk powder. Underneath the table he poured out the powder into his hands. Sally was talking to another student sitting across from her at the lunchroom table.

“Hey Sally,” said Oliver.

“Hey,” said Sally.

Before she could turn her head around, Oliver had blown the zonk power into her face. Sally began to cough uncontrollably. She started wheezing and fell out of her chair. Nurse Rachel ran from where she was sitting across the room and wiped the powder from Sally's face. She began to give Sally mouth to mouth resuscitation. Sally began having an allergic reaction to the powdery substance.

“I'm sorry!” said Oliver. “I'm sorry!”

“What was that, Oliver!” snapped Nurse Rachel.

Nurse Rachel always carried an EpiPen inside her pocket for emergencies. She was so glad that she had the one left. She opened up the EpiPen and stuck it right above Sally's left thigh. It took a few seconds for it to take effect. Sally stopped wheezing and started to breath on her own. The ambulance was called, and they arrived with a gurney taking Sally to the hospital for observation. Mrs. Johnson made Oliver go with her to the principal Mr. Lest office. Oliver knew he was in trouble. He was afraid of what his mother and father would do to him. This was his third time going to Mr. Lest office in three months. There was another student inside the principal's office. Mrs. Johnson and Oliver took a seat outside the reception area. The receptionist looked at Oliver and shook her head at him.

“You're in trouble young man,” said Mrs. Johnson.

Oliver looked up at his teacher and put his head down into both of his hands. He had gotten in trouble last month for bringing a goldfish to school and putting it inside Mrs. Johnson's water glass. He knew this time being his third could mean suspension or worse. Oliver never intended for Sally to become hurt during his prank. He just wanted to make the other students laugh like he had done so many times before. The door to Mr. Lest door slowly opened. A student came out with a letter in his hand. Mr. Lest a short, bald, chubby man appeared from behind the door.

“Hello Mrs. Johnson,” said Mr. Lest.

“Hello Mr. Lest,” said Mrs. Johnson.

Oliver got up from his seat and followed them both inside the office. He began to cry and quickly wiped the lone tear before it fell onto his cheeks.

“What is the problem?” said Mr. Lest.

“Oliver's little prank hurt a student,” said Mrs. Johnson.

“What do you have to say Oliver?” said Mr. Lest.

“I didn't mean to hurt anybody,” said Oliver.

Mr. Lest scolded Oliver and gave him a three-day suspension. Before he could come back to school he had to write a paper about the dangers of pranks. His parents would have to escort him back to school after his suspension was over. Oliver was given a letter to take home and his parents. Mrs. Johnson had to call his mother after school to let her know what had happened. Oliver regrets going home. He knew his mother and father would be disappointed in him. The school bus dropped Oliver off in front of his house. His mother was waiting for him at the door with her arms folded. Mrs. Johnson had already called and told her what Oliver had done at school.

“Get in here young man,” said Mrs. Baker.

“I'm sorry Mom,” said Oliver.

“You're going to be sorry,” said Mrs. Baker. “Wait until your father gets home.”

Oliver opened up his backpack and handed his mother the letter Mr. Lest gave him. His mother took the letter and read it.

“Three-day suspension?” said Mrs. Baker. “You're to do no more pranks understand!”

“Okay,” said Oliver. “I won't do it ever again.”

Oliver's mom followed him upstairs to his bedroom. She made him put all his prank items into a box. Mrs. Baker took the items inside the box and threw them into the outside dumpster. After she came back inside the house, she called Sally's mother.

“Hello,” said Mrs. Bryant.

“Hello,” said Mrs. Baker. “How's Sally doing.”

“She's doing fine,” said Mrs. Bryant. “That was really scary.”

“I'm so sorry,” said Ms. Baker. “I promise this won't happen again.”

“I'm happy to hear that,” said Mrs. Bryant.

“Have a good evening,” said Mrs. Baker. “Tell Sally I'm glad she's feeling better.”

“I will,” said Mrs. Bryant.

Mrs. Baker hung up the phone and went into the kitchen to check on dinner. The house smell delicious of homemade beef stew and corn bread. Mrs. Baker set the table for dinner. She put little Tommy inside his highchair. He began to take a spoon and band it on his highchair table. Oliver came downstairs and pulled a chair from underneath table.

“Are you alright?” asked Mrs. Baker.

“I'm okay,” said Oliver.

Oliver sat down in his chair. He braced himself for his father's scolding. Mr. Baker came into the kitchen with a smile on his face. He patted Oliver on his head.

“No more pranks, right?” said Mr. Baker.

“No pranks ever,” said Oliver.

Oliver was surprised that his father wasn't mad at him. As much as he loved doing pranks, it's no fun when someone gets hurt. Oliver learned his lesson about doing pranks that day and he never did it again.

April 16, 2024 14:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.