1 comment

Fiction

New Beginnings is just the medicine Iris Garcia needs, a fresh start where no one knows who she is, some place where Iris can be her true self.

Iris started a new life in the Pacific West coast, Seattle, a new job, a new house and new friends.

The old life she lived this past year is one Iris would love to forget, but with all the new changes going on in her life Iris can't seem to forget what she left behind.

2021 began like any other year with hopes and dreams. Iris had big dreams of making it in the music industry. She loves to sing and would sing all day if she could.

Iris got the job she thought would be her bug break, singing at a place called the Ballroom.

On day one of her new job Iris gets up early, takes a shower, eats breakfast, gets dress, and gets her guitar, then heads for the Ballroom.

Iris arrives early and meets the manager, a guy by the name of Willis.

Willis seemed like any ordinary guy, but for Iris he was creepy. He looked Iris up and down, she seem a little bother, but it didn't faze her. This was just the beginning of their interaction.

Iris loves the way the Ballroom looks. She walks around and takes it all in. She meets the band and the back up singers, they seem nice and take really well to Iris as the new lead singer.

In the back of the Ballroom, Willis watches Iris interact with the band members, he watches as Iris smiles and laughs. Willis takes an instant liking to her.

Willis takes a picture of Iris smiling, he saves it on his phone to look at whenever he wants.

Iris begins to practice the playlist with the band, her voice is as big as her personality, the staff stop what they are doing to listen to the beautiful voice.

Willis can't get enough of Iris or her voice after just one day. He stands in a trance listening.

When Iris finishes the last song, the staff applauds. Iris has a huge smile on her face. Willis comes up to Iris and officially welcomes her to the Ballroom. He hugs her and leaves.

Iris didn't like the way Willis touched her or the way he smiled at her, It gave her an uneasy feeling, but that doesn't stop her from continuing her dream job.

The next day is Iris debut performance. She gets up early and does the same routine as the day before and then leaves for the Ballroom.

Iris arrives early and encounters Willis again. She tries to avoid him, but he is the manager so avoiding him is a no for Iris.

"Hello Iris. How are you today?"

"I'm good thanks."

Iris tries to leave, Willis stops her. She tries to go around him, he blocks her.

"I have to get ready."

Willis looks her up and down and tells her she's perfect the way she is..

Iris stares at him in disbelief, he smiles at her. Iris side steps him and goes to the back room.

A waitress named Abby goes to Iris and tells her "He's like that with all the new girls."

Abby goes back to work. Iris continues on to the back room. She goes to her locker and puts her belongings away.

It's half an hour to show time, Iris double checks the sound and lighting with the band, now she is putting on her brand new dress and doing her hair and makeup.

Iris looks at herself, she likes the way she looks. Willis stands at the door taking Iris in. He claps and says beautiful.

She turns around and sees Willis looking at her. Iris is not happy at all.

"What are you doing in the ladies locker room?"

"Watching my investment, making sure she is looking her best."

Iris turns away from Willis to finish getting ready.

8 pm, it's showtime. The band is on stage. Iris is making her way to the stage.

The lights come on, the band begins to play and Iris begins to sing.

Iris's voice reaches all the way to the back, the people begin to dance. Willis watches from the back, fixated on Iris.

He says to himself "Miss Iris Garcia, you are all mine."

Iris sings and singes to the smiles and cheers of the crowd. After her performance is over the crowd gives Iris a standing ovation.

Iris loves singing at the Ballroom, Willis loves having her there, but over the next couple of months iris begins to feel uncomfortable.

Whenever she enters the Ballroom Iris sees Willis staring at her. Whenever Iris is on stage Willis sits in the back of the Ballroom staring at her and whenever she's in the ladies locker room Willis enters unannounced and stares at Iris sometimes evening touching her.

Iris has had enough of Willis and goes to confront him. On her day off Iris goes to the Ballroom and confronts Willis. She tells him to back off, then she walks away.

Willis doesn't take to kindly to Iris's words, he follows her to the back and tells her "I own you. Never talk to me like that again."

Iris promptly quits and Willis blacklists her from every single singing job in New York, that isn't the end of it.

Willis keeps on harassing Iris day and night until she can't take it anymore.

Iris immediately leaves New York and chose to go to the West coast, where she ends up in Seattle. She finds a home and quickly finds a new job singing at Jo Jo's bar.

During her time off Iris goes to the park and sings. She draws a crowd whenever she sings. Many people post her performances on social media. Iris doesn't watch them, she has no need to watch her self sing.

Iris loves her new life in Seattle, her new job, her new home and the friends she met. There are times when she misses New York, misses singing at the Ballroom, and misses the friends she made.

Despite everything she left behind Iris wouldn't trade what she has in Seattle.

December 28, 2021 22:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Dustin Eubanks
03:22 Jan 07, 2022

Lots of good things here. I love the close focus on two main players, Iris and Willis, but with the brief interlude by Abby that kind of hangs over the whole piece. Your plot has a definite through line that I can follow. The biggest edit I would suggest is to go through and check the consistency of your verb tense. For example: "Iris immediately leaves New York and chose to go to the West coast, where she ends up in Seattle." The verb tenses goes from present to past simple and back to present, all in a sentence. Choose the tense you feel ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.