A Fork's Life

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

                                  A Fork's Life

It's dark in here. So dark I can't even see the rest of my brothers and sisters lying next to me. But, of course, this is how it should be when one's living quarters are inside a drawer.

Look at me clean and sparkling. And so, another morning begins as it has done for more mornings than I care to remember. I imagine prison must feel something like this. The same daily routine day after day after ach! It's not such a terrible existence. At least I know my tines will never go hungry. But it would be nice to experience a slight variation.

        Aha, I can hear him traipsing into the room, his rancid old slippers shuffling across the carpet. And we're off. The drawer is pulled open, and my darkened world now becomes a brighter place. A hand reaches in, and yes, folks, it's time to participate in bisecting the egg yolk. Mister, just once, can't you manage to slice open the damned thing without all that gooey yellow stuff running up my tines? I know I'm just an unthinking metal object to you. Still, if you could see the ugly dark shades that intensify the deeper I push into his mouth, I know you would appreciate the horror I have to witness every morning. There is no doubt in my mind you would at least show a modicum of sympathy for this poor retched metal creature.

        Oh, hello, what's this? Why I do believe it's my roommate. I'll tell you he had better not start complaining about the smell of butter just because he must smear a little on some toast. I mean, it's not as though the man shoves him in his mouth. Well, ok, I must admit I have seen him doing just that on the odd occasion.

        Wow! Why has his whole body stiffened up suddenly? Of course, it's the female of the species. They probably think we can't hear them at night as we recline next to each other in our drawer, but they're wrong. Oh yes, they are; they're as wrong as can be. The fact is we hear everything that goes on in this room. Here they go again. They have raised angry voices followed by a sniffling sound from the female. Why is it whenever she sniffles in that way, he always hugs her and says he's sorry? I guess I will never understand animate objects.

        Ok, the front door has closed—same old routine. Go on, lady, turn the knob and listen to the noises coming from the object attached to the knob. That's right, now take me and the knife from the plate and put us all in the sink. It's a good thing I don't drown in the water. It's such a lovely feeling. After I have had a short rest under the soapy liquid surrounding me, I receive a vigorous massage that penetrates my most private areas. Wow, when she rubs the base of my tines, it makes me want to shudder. I'm unable to do so. Of course, such are the tribulations of being inanimate.

        Yippee! It's lunchtime. Salad! I don't mind when she lifts me, and I'm used as a scoop to transport a piece of lettuce or some other leafy green item into her mouth. There's something different about this lunchtime, but I can't put my tine on it. Oh yes, now I see. The room is much darker than usual. Also, the knob that turns on the sound they call music is playing something much softer and slower than the usual noise. Aha! I just noticed she's not by herself. A male of the species I have never noticed before has entered the house. What are they doing? I just don't understand. When the usual male appears, they talk very loudly at each other until one of them walks out of the house. I've noticed recently that the female is usually dripping a clear liquid from her eyes. This, however, is very different. The male has, in this case, approached the female, and their mouths are touching each other. How are they going to manage to use me if their mouths stay in that position?

        Hello, will the excitement ever end.? The door has opened with a crash, and the male who is usually here has literally jumped into the room. The other male has also jumped, but he has exited via the window. Now, why would he do that? There is an old human saying about using a knife to cut the atmosphere, I'm not sure what it means, but I feel that this is the atmosphere that the saying talks about. Now I'm almost positive that this is when a knife is used, so why has the male taken me out of the drawer instead.

        Man, the whole thing is a blur to me, although I am sure I have done something amazing, possibly even beautiful. I have been separated from the other cutlery and placed in a cellophane bag. I've always felt that a great destiny lay before me, and now it is coming to fruition. I have been handled with what I can only call reverential care. I mean me, a simple fork, an eating utensil, and nothing more. Yet here I am alone and proud in a room full of important-looking people. I can see the male who uses me every morning to consume a couple of eggs. But, wait, isn't that the woman who also lives in the house. Why is she wearing something white to cover her left eye?

        I must pay the utmost attention as I am obviously about to be honored. Ah yes, here it is. I'm being lifted from the table and paraded around the room. It feels wonderful. I just wish I knew what I have done to warrant such an honor. Finally, I will be appreciated in the full light bestowed on me. Shhh, the man is starting to praise me in front of the whole room; I have to listen.

       "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you see before you the instrument used to gouge out Mrs. Donaldson's eye."

May 02, 2021 16:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.