0 comments

Fiction

EmmaLynn always knew she the power to feel people's feelings in her gut and in her heart, but this time something is different, this time she can't explain what is happening, this time her gut and her heart is telling her something is wrong.

Since she was a little girl EmmaLynn knew she had the power to feel, the power to know when something is wrong. Her mother calls it a gift.

EmmaLynn didn't understand what she was feeling or how far it would go until her grandmother passed away. She knew in her heart something was wrong.

EmmaLynn told her mother and she knew as well. At the funeral EmmaLynn felt her sadness and her families sadness . She still didn't quite understand it. She was just a child.

As EmmaLynn grew up her gift grew with her and with it a true understanding of what her gift really is.

Her gift is called the Intuition, and with the help of her gift EmmaLynn has helped over a dozen people grieve the loss of their loved ones, and she gave them the tools they need to overcome their lost.

EmmaLynn loves the work she does, it has helped her learn more about her gift and herself.

A little over a week ago EmmaLynn was helping a young woman who's name she didn't receive. This woman came to EmmaLynn's home and asked for help.

EmmaLynn agreed to help the woman, but she sensed something was off about the woman. Her gift is always spot on, this time her gift was giving her mixed signals, signals she didn't understand.

The woman told EmmaLynn her mother recently passed, she hasn't come to terms with her passing and needs help in dealing with her grief.

EmmaLynn agreed to help her, but she knew helping her would be a big test for her gift.

After her encounter with the woman EmmaLynn went to her mother and asked her for advice.

EmmaLynn's mother Diana tells her "The gift is here to help and guide you even if you are feeling bad things."

Each day for the last week EmmaLynn has been trying to find the woman, she hasn't had any luck, but then one day EmmaLynn gets a message.

Message reads: I am the woman you are looking for. My name is Alexis. I will contact you tomorrow." End of message

EmmaLynn re-reads the message over and over again trying to get a feel for the woman, but nothing is coming of it. She shuts her computer off.

The next day EmmaLynn waits for a call or a message from Alexis, there is nothing, then she hears a knock on the door.

EmmaLynn goes to answer the door. She finds nobody only an envelope inside the mail box.

EmmaLynn takes the envelope, she looks at it, no return address only a name Alexis. EmmaLynn goes back inside her house and opens the letter.

"Dear EmmaLynn

I read a lot about you and what you can do. I know you have no reason to trust me. During my last visit I know you felt something off about me and the truth is my mother didn't pass away, she is dying and I need help trying to forgive her for the pain she caused me as a child. I don't have any feelings towards the woman who gave me life. I want to try and forgive her, but I don't know how.

I was embarrassed to tell you the truth because I read how great of a mother you have and mine wasn't all that great to me. I want to say I'm sorry for lying to you and I hope you will still help me. My phone number is at the bottom of the letter."

Alexis

EmmaLynn finishes reading the letter, tears begin to come down her face.

"How can a mother be so horrible her child?"

EmmaLynn calls Alexis, she wants to help heal two hearts. Alexis answers on the first ring.

"I'm so glad you called."

"How did you know it was me?"

"You help people and you can't pass up helping me."

"Tell me your story."

Alexis explains to EmmaLynn that her mother Deb was the kindest, sweetest person until her drinking took over, then she became a monster, verbally abusive.

Alexis stops for a moment.

"It's okay take your time."

"It hurts speaking about my mother. I loved my mother, but my mother's first love was drinking. I never understood until I was in high school."

Alexis stops again.

Alexis continues and tells EmmaLynn "When I reached high school that's when I had enough of my mother and her drinking. I gave her the benefit of the doubt because she's my mother until I couldn't anymore. She would spend all our money for food and rent. I had to get a job to help and I was only fourteen, but she stole that money, the money I saved up for food. I left that very day. I went to live with my grandparents. I had the best life with them."

EmmaLynn feels the pain of Alexis, a girl who loves her mother, but was betrayed so many times.

"I haven't had contact with my mother since I left, and now ten years later I find out she is dying. I want to forgive her, but I don't know if I can."

EmmaLynn tells Alexis the first step towards forgiveness is to release the burden and forgive herself and then once that is done take a breather and then look at all the memories that is buried deep inside and smile at the person she use to be before the drinking and whisper I forgive you.

Alexis takes everything EmmaLynn is saying and does as she says.

"How are you feeling?"

"I feel good not great. I still hurt inside."

"Go see your mother."

'I am."

EmmaLynn's bad feelings about Alexis, the mysterious woman is all gone. The feelings EmmaLynn is feeling for Alexis is one of a daughter who is hurting for the mother she is losing, but also for the childhood she lost.

EmmaLynn's gift is truly special, one that helps people deep within their souls.

January 05, 2022 23:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.