1 comment

Romance

Just six months ago, I was the highest ranking warrior in our lands, and I was forced to give that up for the sake of a prophecy. I understand why King Jurien eliminated my former title, but what am I if not a warrior? Only one week remains until I am to wed the King, and I should be honored the Gods saw me worthy of being Queen of Beloar, but some part of me was mournful of the life I always expected to live. 

“There was an attack in the Northern Forest, my King.” A guard announced as he rushed to the King’s side.

The King immediately rose from his seat, slamming his hands down on the table we were currently eating dinner on. The porcelain dishes on the table shook, one sent flying towards the floor before shattering. “Is anyone injured?” he questioned, already knowing the guards' response. 

The attacks on palace grounds have increased in the past several weeks. The creatures that lurk in the forest are capable of breaching the innermost spaces of your mind and transforming you into nothing more than a puppet. I’ve seen warriors turn their weapons to their comrades and eliminate the threat they post to the creatures. Most are not even aware of the creature closing in until it’s too late. Once you know of the creature's presence, your fate is in its hands. 

“One guard, sir.” the guard paused, as if he didn’t want to explain further, but continued, “your guard. Kolan killed himself before the creature could take hold. Nobody else was injured. Warriors are trailing the creature now.” 

“Call the search off.” The King demanded. “The beasts are faster than the warriors. There is no point.” 

The guard nodded, before leaving out of the dining room door. King Jurien remained standing with his hands braced on the table, his head slumped over in defeat and worry. 

I chose to remain silent. As a warrior, I was well-trained on the customs and order of our lands. Even before becoming a warrior, I’ve never once questioned the commands or motives of the King. I often reminisce of my life as a high warrior– commanding the forces and eliminating the evils that would consume our land if left unchecked. 

King Jurien quickly picked his head back up, straightening his posture, and left the room. The shattered dishes on the ground beneath the table were already being tended to by the maids. 

I made my way to my bedroom, which was separate from the King’s. He preferred his own space, but we occasionally shared a bed. That is how it’s supposed to be, afterall. Now that I am to be Queen in a week, I will be expected to be available to the King at all times and eventually carry children. I want this, though. Even if I am not always sure of it, this is how it has to be, and I should be grateful.

***

The next morning, I was awoken by the sunlight that beamed through the window across from my bed. The maid stood before my bed, bright eyed and cheery as always. 

“Oh! Good morning Remielle. How was your rest?” She asked me.

“It was lovely, thank you Hana.” I replied as I threw off my covers and forced my tired legs to stand. 

“Breakfast is nearly ready. You have about … “ Hana turned to the clock that hung beside the bedroom door, “thirty minutes to be at the table. Do you need anything before I depart?” 

“No, thank you Hana. I appreciate you for waking me.” A friendly smile escaped as I responded. 

Hana closed the door behind her as she left. I quickly found my clothes, already laid out and prepared by Hana. A gorgeous sky-blue fabric, with a white floral lace flowing from the waist down. I slipped the dress on, tightening the strings that wrapped around the waist. It fell just to my feet, barely brushing the floor, as if it was sewed only to fit my slim body. My straight blonde hair fell to the space just above my collarbones. Hana left a pair of elegant slippers, which were surprisingly comfortable to walk in. 

I made my way down the bright corridor, walking toward the dining room where the King waits. He never starts eating until I am present. 

The grand doors to the dining room were silent as I entered, closing gently behind me. There was a face I had never seen before standing to the right of the doors. I paused for just a moment, studying and appreciating his features. His hair appears black in comparison to the King’s deep brown. His eyes … I have never seen such a contrast. His green eyes are vibrant against his lightly tanned skin and black hair that was tightly knotted into a bun behind his head. 

I forced myself to push aside the thoughts I was having of this man, and continued walking to the table. I pulled out my chair and sat across from King Jurien.

“Good morning, my future Queen.” Jurien said without even glancing my way. 

“Good morning to you, my King.” I replied, already digging my fork into the potato scramble on my plate. 

“This is Luther, my new guard. After what happened to Kolan, they were quick to reassign a new guard. This one won’t be venturing off to the forest like Kolan did. How foolish he was.” the King spoke firmly. 

“Lovely to meet you … Luther.” I glanced in his direction, clearing my throat before continuing at my food. 

“You as well, Remielle.” He replied, not loosening his gaze on me.

The way he said my name had me squirming in my chair. 

“Remielle, are your preparations in order for our wedding? I expect Hana has aided in those preparations?” He questioned, never once looking toward Remielle.

“Oh, she’s been more than helpful. She’s done a great deal to lessen my load.” I responded, checking to see if he would look at me just once during our conversation … which he didnt. 

“I expect nothing less. Hana is to be at your assistance. I trust you will notify me if there are any concerns.” 

I nodded. “Of course, my King.”

I can’t help but feel that he is ungrateful for his servants. It’s evident that he’s never lived as a commoner, as I once was. I understand that every person is expected to do as the King demands, without expectations of something in return, but it sometimes feels wrong. These servants work tirelessly and never ask for anything. 

We sat in silence for the remainder of the meal, before the King exited, ordering Luther to show me to the garden once I finished eating. I spend a significant amount of time in the garden. After my warrior title was stripped from me, I had to find something to fill my time with, and the King suggested gardening. Although he was sometimes cruel, he truly wanted me to be untroubled and content with my new life as his Queen. Before my mother died when I was a child, she brought me to her garden frequently and that’s where we bonded the most. For a while, gardening was a painful reminder of what I lost. I have learned to find joy in it now, however. 

On our walk to the garden, I refrained from speaking to Luther, mostly because I wasn’t sure what to say. I shouldn’t be this attracted to someone other than my future husband. I was to be married in just 6 days and I just met this man. These thoughts must mean nothing. I expected our walk to be filled with silence, but he spoke to me first.

“Do you come to the palace gardens often?” He looked toward me, waiting for my response and scanning my face.

“I do. I find it quite peaceful. I didn’t expect to ever find this happiness in the garden after … “ I didn’t finish the sentence. I don’t feel compelled to share my life story with a stranger. 

“From what I hear, you are a skilled warrior. Why did you relinquish that title?” He stared at the ground, hands in his pockets as we continued walking around the garden. 

“I was a warrior. I am to be a Queen now. As you know, a Queen has no place commanding armies. Besides, King Jurien required me to forgo those duties and focus on my new life. He wants to start a family, and I’m to remain in the palace to raise them.” I took a deep breath before forcing a smile. This is an honor, I recited in my head.

“Ah …” he nodded, “what a shame. All for some prophecy.” He said with disapproval, shaking his head. 

I was stunned. The King’s personal guard just disrespected the prophecy and the King in the presence of his future Queen. “You are not to mock or ridicule the prophecy. Only good things come from the Priestess’s words. You must respect the order.” I sternly reminded him.

He stiffened, “I meant no disrespect. I only wish to share my concerns with the prophecy. I am sure you see the suffering of commoners while the Royal folk live grandly, without care.”

I knew he was right, deep down, but I would never admit that. To speak of the Royal in such a manner is borderline treasonous. Luther showed me back to my room, as I requested, and I stayed there until Dinner. I saw him again at Dinner, but we just exchanged brief stares before moving on. 

***

I awoke in the middle of the night … nightmares again of the creatures that roam the forest. I can see the forest edge just outside of my window, only a short walk away. Would we ever truly be safe until those beasts are eliminated? I am not even certain it’s possible that we could ever rid the lands of all of those evil creatures. We do not even know where they retreat to after an attack, so the chances of us wiping them out is slim. It is always the same nightmare, too – I’m usually in the garden, tending to one of my plants, when I hear screams of people in the palace … I will find every person controlled, including the King, and the creature then claims me, it’s final victim … for whatever ends it wishes to achieve. 

Apparently this time I was screaming, because when I peered up, I saw Luther standing aside my bed, concern stretching across his face. He had never been here to witness my nightmares before. 

“Remi! Are you alright? I heard screaming.” 

“I am okay, Luther. I just have nightmares quite often and they interrupt my sleep when they occur.” I made sure to note that he was here, but King Jurien, who I was marrying in just 5 days, was nowhere around. I know he would never care for me the way Luther cares in this moment. I pushed the feelings aside once more. “You can return to your sleeping quarters now, but I do appreciate your concern.”

He hesitated, but turned toward the door. I was hoping he would leave so I can try to forget the way he makes me feel. It is wrong of me to feel this way toward a guard when I am almost a bride. He halted just before the door, still for a moment, before jolting toward me. Then I could hear what made him stop like that … screaming. I am sure this is a dream. But considering Luther’s behavior, I know I am not dreaming. 

Luther quickly closed the door.

“You really should go to the King, Luther.” I quietly suggested. 

He paused, before saying, “I can’t leave you alone. The King will be surrounded with guards, but you have no protection.”

“I can defend myself, Luther … remember … warrior.” I smirked. I haven’t called myself a warrior since I gave up the title 6 months ago, but I liked the sound of it. It has been so long. 

“Damn right you are. Regardless, I’m not going anywhere. I will stay here until someone comes to report whether it is safe. We have no idea what that scream was for. I won’t leave you, Remi.” he replied, firm in his stance. There was no convincing him to leave her, and she knew it. 

We both remained silent for several long minutes, listening for any noise outside of the door, before I spoke. “Do you judge me … for agreeing to marry him? Do you think it makes me weak and powerless?” That’s how I sometimes thought. I was a warrior.

“I never think you are a weak. Far from it actually. You are marrying a man who couldn’t care less about you, knowing you are in for a life of pain and regret, all to respect the laws of the land. I think it is admirable. But I have to say, Remi, I do not want you to marry him. He is not deserving of you.” He replied, studying my face as he said those words.

“Perhaps it is what I deserve. The prophecy requires it, Luther. I do not know what I am to do about that.”

“Maybe the prophecy does not know what is good for you, my dear.” He sat on the bed, facing me now, brushing a stray piece of hair out of my eyes.

I contemplated his words for several moments. But the way he said prophecy caught my attention. He said it as if he does not believe it. Why would a guard of the King suggest the prophecy is fake? 

“You think the prophecy is a lie?” I was truly curious. I have only known this man for 2 days, yet I believe he has good reason for whatever it is he believes. I must hear him out this time.

“It is fake, Remi. Only the highest of Royalty know, but they will never give it up … it gives them too much power. They have no reason to denounce prophecies that only ever benefit them.”

His words had power. I do not know why, but a part of me believed him. For the first time ever, I was questioning the truth of the Priestesses and prophecies. 

We stared into each other's eyes for several moments longer, before the door suddenly burst open. It was Hana.

“Oh my sweet girl! Are you alright?” She blinked and glanced at Luther before continuing. “One of the creatures must have breached the palace doors. An off-duty guard killed his sleeping wife. The other guards were able to subdue him and the palace is secure.” 

“Well I should be going now.” Luther announced. He straightened his shirt as he stood.

Hana studied every move Luther made as he left the room, then turned to me. “Do you care to explain why he was in here?” Her head tilted and eyebrows rose.

“He heard me scream. Nightmare again. That is all. Then he decided it would be best to stay until he knew the palace was safe. You can go back to sleep now, Hana.” I let out a quiet laugh, shaking my head.

“Hm…” she paused, as if she knew the words we shared, “okay! I will be sure to let you sleep in tomorrow. I will sit breakfast outside your door in the morning. Or maybe I will have Luther do it.” She chucked back to me.

***

By the time I woke up, the sun was already halfway across the sky. I’m not even going to bother with breakfast today. I got dressed in a hurry and went straight to the garden. 4 days until the wedding, I thought to myself. A part of me hoped there was truth to Luther’s words, so I wouldn’t have to marry the King. 

Footsteps approached and I turned to the entrance to the garden. Luther. He smiled and walked in my direction. 

“Did you manage to get some sleep last night? I couldn’t get you out of my head once I left…” he whispered, brushing my ear.

“I slept fine.” I replied. I’m not giving this thing between us anymore attention. Luther could ruin my life.

“Did the King ever come to check on you?” he knew what I was going to say. He knew the King just as I did.

I took a deep breath, and replied, “He did not.” How long was I going to ignore these feelings I have toward Luther. If the prophecy is wrong, is it worth me never getting to be with Luther. Would he even agree to be with me? He has just as much to lose.

“If I was marrying a woman like you, Remi, I would share a bed with her every night and she would never doubt my love for her.” He paused, examining the way my body shifted with those words. 

I couldn’t pretend any longer. I don’t want to live a life never knowing what could have came from this man that stood before me. I think he knew what I was feeling, because before I could do it myself, he lunged for me, kissing me. Passion swirled between us. Passion like I’d never knew before. Everything felt right about this, but I know it shouldn’t. I never pulled away, though, until footsteps sent us both shooting away from each other. 

“I figured you were hungry … “ Hana announced, carrying a tray of food. We both knew she witnessed what just happened. “Remielle … Luther, I know a way you can escape, if you wish to be together…”

We turned to each other, as if we were deciding if that was an option. 

“Remielle.” Luther said to me, waiting for my confirmation.

I contemplated for a moment. “We’ll do it.” I declared.

May 10, 2023 16:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Timothy Rennels
01:34 May 18, 2023

This sounds like the start of something much bigger. A novel perhaps? Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.