0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

“Follow that car” Kip ordered as he entered the parked taxi and sat beside the driver. He added “Don’t lose sight of that car.” It was morning and the car was coming out from a garage into the road on which vehicular traffic was gradually increasing.

 As they proceeded the taxi driver said “It looks like that car is heading to the airport.” But the car took a turn and parked. Kip watched as a bearded man driving the car alighted and walked into the restaurant nearby.

Kip asked the taxi driver his name and was told it was Lamaji. He said “Lamaji here is an advance on the fare. Wait here.”

Lamaji said “Thank you boss. As you say.”

Kip went towards the restaurant and peeped in: Aesop, the bearded man, was having his breakfast. Kip returned to the taxi and waited. Kip was on the trail of one who had stolen an ancient Būddha idol from the chapel of a lama or Buddhist priest who had died 3 days ago. Earlier Kip had received news that the lama was on his deathbed. The lama was one of those who had fled to India from Tibet following Chinese occupation. He had come away with a rare centuries old idol of Buddha made of bronze and covered in gold. It was nearly a foot high. The lama’s funeral was held when Buddhist monks, nuns and laity and presumably the idol thief joined. In the end it was reported the idol was missing. Kip had watched Aesop at the funeral. The man was a clever crook and Kip had concluded he had somehow stolen the Buddha from the chapel.

Kip had kept a watch on Aesop’s house. The man lived alone but had a manservant and a watchman. For a price, the watchman had informed Kip that morning that Aesop was readying to go somewhere in his car. Kip was told a sealed cardboard box had been loaded into the rear of the car. Kip now waited for Aesop to return after breakfast.

Aesop emerged from the restaurant about 45 minutes later. Coming out the man opened the locked  boot of his car and checked. The cardboard box was there. Kip guessed the man was either flying to somewhere with the Buddha or was going to deliver it to someone: Let me watch!

Aesop started his car and went at a leisurely pace. After some time he parked at a tea kiosk and had tea as Kip kept watch. The man again checked the boot. Kip was now certain the Buddha was in the car.

As Kip watched a car approached Aesop’s car and Kip readied his gun for action if needed. A man who came gave Kip some message and went his way. Aesop then started his car and proceeded leisurely. The airport was still far away. Minutes later Aesop’s car picked up speed.

Kip knew they were now approaching a small side road and told Lamaji “Overtake that car and block it. You must force it to turn into that side road ahead.”

Lamaji said “Boss if there’re damages to my taxi……….”

“I guarantee I’ll pick up the bill for any possible repairs.”

Lamaji overtook Aesop’s car at speed and blocked its way forcing it to turn off the main road. Aesop’s car stopped.

 Kip said “Lamaji get off the taxi and wait till I call you.” Lamaji got out and stood aside.

 Kip got off the taxi and going to Aesop who was in the driver’s seat said pointing his gun “Get off the car. I want to talk to you. Get inside my taxi. We will talk there.” The two got inside the taxi when Kip said “I know you’re smuggler Aesop and that you have stolen the dead lama’s Buddha.”

Aesop said “I’m a good Buddhist and attended the lama’s funeral. I know nothing about a Buddha statue.”

 Kip asked “How did you manage to steal the statue?”

“I again say I know nothing about a statue. I’m an innocent Buddhist.”

“Again you’re pleading innocence. Give me your car keys.”

Aesop hesitated when Kip said threateningly “Give me the keys.”

Kip called Lamaji and said “Transfer that cardboard box from that car to your taxi.”

Lamaji was unfamiliar with the keys but finally did as ordered.

Lamaji said “The cardboard box is in the taxi.”

Kip said “Lamaji stand beside this car. I may need your help.”

Kip said “Aesop now speak up. To whom are you delivering the statue?”

“I again say I’m a simple Buddhist and a follower of the revered lama who had come from Lhasa. I had only attended his funeral.”

“Okay you want to play it the hard way. I have the Buddha. To shut you up I’m going to put a bullet into you before I leave. Get out of the car and stand facing me.”

Aesop did as ordered when Kip took aim. Lamaji now struck Kip and the shot went astray. The gun fell out of Kip’s ḥand.

In seconds a police prowl car approached with siren howling and stopped near where Aesop’s car and the taxi were parked. A burly cop got out holding a gun and pulled Kip out from inside the taxi and fisḥed the gun from its floor with gloved hands. A female cop now joined and started taking down details as the cop made enquiries.

The cop asked Kip “Whose gun is this?”

“I don’t know. This man Aesop wanted to kill me with it. Lucky I escaped.”

He whispered to the cop “I’ve something confidential to say.”

The cop rightly guessed that illegal gratification was being offered and said “There will be nothing confidential.”

Kip said “That man Aesop was taking away the Buddha he had stolen and I blocked ḥim.”

Aesop said “I know nothing about a stolen Buddha.”

Kip said “Lamaji open the door of the rear of this taxi.”

That was done and the box was opened very carefully. The cop said “How do I know this doesn’t contain some explosive device?”

Cop surveyed the contents of the box and said “Kip you’re going to prison for many years for carrying so much fake currency.”

Police report following tḥe incident: A gang of three men was apprehended as they were on their way to try to push fake currency in a rural area beyond the airport. An unlicensed gun was also seized. One of the suspects accused the other of stealing a Buddha which had belonged to a dead lama. We made enquiries and learnt that the deceased lama before his death had himself safely locked the Buddha statue in his steel safe for its safety.

END

















January 21, 2023 13:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.