The Bake Sale

Submitted into Contest #206 in response to: Write about someone facing their greatest fear.... view prompt

15 comments

Sad

“I think they should have a card, or a sign, you know.” Lois said. “A brooch maybe, those men might even like it, a dash of color!”

Jane giggled nervously along with the other woman working in the back kitchen of River Oaks Baptist church.


“We need to know, to keep ourselves safe.” Lois continued.

“It's God's hand, punishing that immoral behavior. It's as plain as day.” Barbara said, unwrapping a large chocolate sheet cake. “Don’t you agree Jane?”


“Did you wash your hands Barbara?” Jane said as she focused on removing the saran wrap on the homemade plate of cupcakes in front of her.


Barbara frowned, but walked over to the sink pushing up the sleeves of her bright pink blouse, and began washing her hands. “I won’t even drive down Westheimer any more, it is too dangerous.” Barbara said. “I heard you can get it from the air, one of those homosexuals just breathes it out and - bam you got the gay cancer.” 


“You all know Morty right, Suzanne’s cousin?” Lois leaned against the chrome refrigerator, taking a big draw on her cigarette. The body waves of her permed hair gently rested on the shoulder pads of her metallic blue suit jacket. “He was at the high school with your kids.”

Jane finished unwrapping and pricing the donated baked goods in front of her, and moved over to the covered plates Lois had left undone.


“Morty was living down in Montrose. He got a pneumonia, and he’s real sick.” Lois continued. “Suzanne said he got it from the airplane ride he took back from California, but I think it's more than that.” Lois and Barbara shared a wide eyed knowing look. “There were always rumors, and we know what goes on down in Montrose!” 

Barbara cackled as she accepted the offered cigarette and leaned in for Lois to light it.


“Now Morty’s living in Suzanne’s garage. She leaves food for him at the door.”


“I don’t know if I could do that.” Barbara said, shaking her head.


“Ladies, please keep the smoke away from the desserts.” Jane said, waving the two women away from the food.


Lois popped her lips, but both women moved toward the open back door.

“Jane, you are the biggest germ-a-phobe I have ever met.” Lois laughed. “I'm surprised you ever leave the house!”


“Germs build up immunity.” Barbara said, nodding at her own wisdom.  


“Well, there is no immunity for the AIDs.” Lois said. “That's why the gays should wear a sign. To protect us." Lois pointed her cigarette at Jane. “I told Suzanne we just could not come by her house while he was staying with her.” Lois said. “My little Jenny can’t see her best friend, but we have to keep them safe you know?”


“Jane.” Lois spoke, her voice light. “Your boy knows Morty.”


Jane’s hands slipped and several brownies spilled onto the table. She carefully tossed them in the garbage can.


“They used to be thick as thieves when they were younger.” Barbara added. “My Jennifer used to pal around with them too. They all came over that one year to make costumes on my sewing machine." Barbara eyes went to the floor. "Until she met Danny. Now they're down in San Antonio. She’s taking a break, but she’s going to go to go back to A&M, she wants to be a nurse.”


“How’s the baby?” Jane asked.


Barbara looked up sharply, and then at Lois before her eyes went to the floor. “The baby is fine.” Barbara breathed out a long trail of smoke. “Since Danny left, Jenny is on her own. But that's what she wants so-” Barbara kicked the floor with her white Keds.


Michael didn’t stay in touch with Morty?” Lois said.


Jane just shook her head no as she kept her hands working.


“What is Michael doing now?” Lois asked. 


 Jane felt both women watching her, waiting. Her work was done, but she went back through all the plates, organizing each one. She needed to keep her hands busy.


“Michael is working now, and looking forward to college next year.” Jane said, keeping her eyes on her work. “He's going to UT, going to be a Longhorn.”

Jane’s shoulders clenched and she felt tears welling in her eyes. She blinked and put on her best smile.


“Just like his daddy.” Barbara said. “What is he going to be studying?”


The smile froze to Jane’s face. “I don’t know- engineering. Yes, engineering.” Jane thought of her wish for a different son. A son who would take after his father and want to play baseball, go to prom with a girl, and want to study engineering. She prayed every night to have that son. But God works in mysterious ways. 


“I would've guessed the theater.” Barbara said. “He was so wonderful in the high school play. He was magical as Hamlet.”


Jane took a step back from the two women and the conversation. She looked around for a distraction and saw the case of bright red soda cans on the table.


“Should I bring out the sodas? I bought the New Coke this time, I thought the teens would like it-” Jane needed something to do to get out of this kitchen.


“Hello, is the food pantry open?” A man leaned into the kitchen from the bright morning light of the back door. Thin, his face was mottled with purple bruises and his eyes were bloodshot red. He wore a long sleeve shirt, under a Members Only jacket. He shivered even though it was a hot, Houston summer day.


“No, the Church has the food pantry on weekdays only.” Lois said. “Today is the bake sale. Want a cupcake?” She waved toward the loaded serving table.

He took a step toward a plate of cupcakes and took one.


Jane’s eyes went wide. “No! You need to leave, right now!”


The man grimaced, his eyes blazed at Jane before he put his head down and left the kitchen, holding his cupcake.


Jane looked around, and grabbing a towel, she picked up the entire plate of cupcakes with outstretched arms and threw it in the garbage can.


“What the-” Lois’s eyes went wide, her hands flew up in confusion.


“Didn’t you see him,” Jane said, her breath coming fast and hard, pointing at the open door. “He had the AIDs. His face, those bruises. We can not have him in here!”


Barbara looked out the door, and back at Jane. Her eyes narrowed, her hands on her hips. “How did you know?”


 Jane left the Bake Sale carrying a plate wrapped in clear plastic.


She unlocked the front door and placed her keys carefully on the key hook. 


She walked down the hall, through the house and to a closed door. She set the plate on the side table next to the door, and then took down a thin cotton robe off a nearby hook, and put it on.


She pulled out white gloves from one pocket and then a surgical mask from the other. Jane wiped her eyes on a napkin, and took two big breaths before she adjusted the mask over her mouth and nose. Picking up the plate in one hand, she knocked and opened the door without waiting. 


The large poster of two smiling young men and the word ‘Wham!’ greeted her as it did every time she walked into the dark room. The thick air was filled with the stench of sweat, sickness and human waste. The man in the small bed turned toward her, his thin body barely noticeable under the thick covers. He reached out a pale hand, marked with purple bruises. Sores on his mouth blistered as he smiled.


“I couldn’t make it to the bathroom, I'm sorry-” His voice is hoarse.


  Jane pulled clumps of hair off his pillow, and brushed her gloved hand over his forehead.


“Hello Michael. How are you feeling today!” Jane said, buoyant cheer straining her voice.

“We’ll get you cleaned up, and then I have your favorite, chocolate cake.”



July 13, 2023 17:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Amanda Lieser
05:43 Aug 11, 2023

Hi Marty, Oh my gosh, what a powerful and beautiful message that you decided to write about for this week’s prompts! I absolutely loved the way that so much of the story was based in misinformation and gossip. I also thought that you were decision to place it in a church environment was particularly interesting. Your final scene was absolutely beautiful, and I loved the gentle appreciation and kind spirit that we were able to end with. Nice work!!

Reply

Marty B
18:34 Aug 11, 2023

I spent a lot of time in church basements/kitchens and in my experience, the hypocrisy is as bad as the coffee. Thank you for your good words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:40 Jul 26, 2023

This is crazy good writing and so powerful and heart-rending. Love

Reply

Marty B
18:11 Jul 26, 2023

Thank you! I appreciate your comment, and especially from such a creative writer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
01:17 Jul 18, 2023

It's a very specific moment in time, regarding a very specific disease. Thankfully these specific attitudes have passed, but the kind of attitudes they are, sadly remain Maybe they're just a part of humanity. There's a line specifically that stuck out: "nodding at her own wisdom". That sums up the characters wonderfully. We all like to be right, and it seems the easiest way to achieve that is if someone else is wrong. It's a good take on the prompt. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Marty B
05:40 Jul 18, 2023

Yes a moment in time, yet it had a huge impact on a generation of men. I agree many people would rather someone else be wrong than even they be right.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Martin
18:53 Jul 15, 2023

I enjoyed the banter at the beginning. Having grown up in the Deep South where church bake sales were common, I can definitely relate. The dialogue is believable, and I especially enjoyed the line, "I heard you can get it from the air, one of those homosexuals just breathes it out and - bam you got the gay cancer.” That level of ignorance is quite normal down there. If I could provide an observation/suggestion, it would be to maybe cut at least one of the people (from having a speaking role) from the initial scene. It got to the point w...

Reply

Marty B
05:42 Jul 18, 2023

Thanks for the vote of believability! I agree it had some confusion early on in the dialogue- I had an additional speaker who got cut. Thanks for the observation!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
15:00 Jul 14, 2023

I’m 64, and I remember the terror, ignorance, cruelty, and downright hatred associated with AIDS in the ‘80s. That the disease was publicly associated with groups already subjected to so much bigotry and hatred already only amplified the tragedy. I had a young coworker from a rural area — a smart, witty, fun lunch buddy who tried hard to disguise what we all knew, that he was a gay man. Most at work didn’t care but worried about his need to hid, except the pardon my French asshole who asked me if it was wise to go to lunch with G., if I wor...

Reply

Marty B
18:27 Jul 14, 2023

Thank you for sharing that story, I can hear the loss in your words that you feel even now. Truly as you said, there were many victim of AIDS and homophobia, and not just with the disease. AIDs unnecessarily took many lives, and the last days of many of those people were made worse by the fear.

Reply

Martin Ross
18:41 Jul 14, 2023

Amen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:05 Jul 14, 2023

Damn, this is a powerful tale, Marty. I find the story has depth and layers. These women who believe that being gay is a communicable disease are the same ones, many years later, refusing to get covid vaccines. And the smoking around others just adds to the whole farce. Well done, my friend. Jane is a tragic figure. She doesn't get it, even in the midst of personal tragedy. This is such a timely and timeless tale, Marty. Such stellar writing. Nicely done, my friend. Just a thought: I'd review the dialogue. Use more contractions; when peopl...

Reply

Marty B
18:28 Jul 14, 2023

I appreciate your great comments. The AIDs crisis brought out the absolute worst in so many people. I will review your suggested edits.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
21:23 Jul 13, 2023

Marty, such a sad story. Jane never reveals how she knows. But I suspected something like the ending you wrote. Nicely done. Very well written. Thanks for the good read. LF6

Reply

Marty B
22:16 Jul 13, 2023

Thanks for the good words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.