0 comments

Romance Fiction American

Breathing heavily as he threw punches to the red and shabby punching bag hanging from the ceiling, ignoring the pain and exhaustion dwelling in his body that might overpower him at any given moment. A cold breeze of air brushed against his now clammy skin, making him shudder slightly and disrupting his clean punches. He pulled his arms to his chest wanting to continue, but they just couldn't handle anymore exertion, as he threw a weak punch towards the bag. Finally admitting that he was done for the day, his body collapsed on the hard and solid floor. As he lay on the ground of his massively luscious bedroom, his eyes just blankly stared at the pale white ceiling above him. His mind was obviously not playing a blank game, because it circled those twisted and dreadful thoughts that he was trying to avoid. Boxing was his only cure to heal him from these dreadful thoughts, more like a distraction. He wanted to distract himself from those thoughts. For him, that’s the only existing method that not only works, but also heals him, even if it's temporary. 

-----

“Hugo, honey, rise and shine! I made pancakes for breakfast, come eat them before it gets cold.” called Mrs. Norman as she cleaned up the now messy but sweet scented kitchen, mostly coming from the hot and scrumptious looking pancakes and newly opened bottle of maple syrup. As she was about to call him again, a tall and muscular guy walked towards the kitchen, grabbing a seat at the glossy white marble table. His black hair is damp wet as if he just showered, a slight tiredness and hunger masked his face, wearing a pair of grey sweatpants and a black tank top that shows his beautifully toned muscles. “Ahhh, there you are! I was just about to call you again. I made you chocolate pancakes, topped with maple syrup and chocolate chips. Your favourite!” said Mrs Norman, a spring of happiness in her voice, that she prepared her son’s favourite breakfast perfectly.

“Thanks mom, it’s just as sweet as you.” smiling as he complimented his mother. “Hugo Octavious Norman, you do not flirt with me like that. I’m your mother!”,  patting his broad shoulders as she gushed to herself. “Oh, and I called Aadhya to babysit Danielle later in the afternoon. I won’t be home for lunch because I have a seminar to attend. Your dad left too because there were some emergency meetings scheduled.” “Yeah, real emergency meeting”,  Hugo scoffed. “Now, I know he made some mistakes in his past, but he already apologised and I forgave him. I know he will not do that again. So, that’s done and there is no way you’re doubting your own father again” said Mrs. Norman as she roughly kissed her son’s cheek. Hugo just nodded but knew very well that his father was up to something. Something bad obviously, which will add up to the list of already dreadful thoughts running in his mind every time he thinks of his father. 

---

“Hugo, I’ve prepared lunch for the three of you. Be nice to Aadhya. I’ll be home around dinner time. I love you”, as she shut the front door behind her. Sharp at twelve, the doorbell of the Normans' house rang. Hugo opened the front door, revealing a beautiful girl with dark brown hair with the most alluring blue eyes he has ever seen, dimples forming as she smiled, welcoming her into the house. “Hi! I’m Aadhya. We kind of met at school for classes but never really talked--”, “Danielle is upstairs, I’ll show you her room. I’ll be in my room, if you need anything”, cutting the conversation short. “Oh, okay”, was only Aadhya mumbled as she was taken to a bedroom filled with bright coloured toys and Barbie dolls. “Aadhya!!!”, screamed Danielle as she hugged her favourite babysitter. “Hey there darling, you want to play?”, as she carried the three year old girl and placed her on the comfy bed filled with toys. “I’ll be in my room. She is supposed to have lunch by 1 o'clock, so just call me then. The food needs to be heated up”, as he closed the door before leaving.  

---

“Okay, finish up your nuggets, please”, smiling as she eyed Danielle clumsily eating her lunch whilst she ate her own portion. Hugo didn’t have lunch yet, instead stayed in his room. Worried and anxious, Aadhya cleaned up everything in the kitchen and laid Danielle in bed for her afternoon nap. “Hugo, it’s already one thirty and you haven't had lunch yet. Do you want me to bring it for you?”, she asked after knocking his door a few times. “I’m not hungry. Leave me alone” came the response. “Okay, sorry”, as she wondered why he was acting cold and distant, even at home. She thought the cold-hearted Hugo was only a persona he played at school, but turns out it’s his real personality. 

Now, I know he made some mistakes in his past, but he already apologised and I forgave him. I know he will not do that again, his mother’s words rang in his ears as he delivered another punch to the bag. Yes, I lied to you. It’s because you were never enough for me. You only married me because you want to be rich. Forget that, I don’t even love you anymore. I love her, his father’s deceitful words ringed in his ears next. Tears started forming at the corners of his hazel brown eyes as he continued to punch harder by every passing moment. The pain filled his  now bleeding knuckles and soon his whole body was growing exhausted, leaving him panting and breathless. What if he’s up to something? Like what happened that night. How am I supposed to trust him. My own father. All these thoughts circled in his head like a rollercoaster. As he stood there in front of the punching bag, his breath returning back to normal, he heard his stomach growling. A definite sign of hunger. 

As he made his way downstairs to the kitchen, Aadhya was sitting at the marble table looking through her phone. Not wanting to make conversation or risk pouring out his frustrations to her, he just silently took his portion of food from the refrigerator and microwaved it. After heating up the food, he placed it on a white glass plate and grabbed a spoon, taking a seat at the marble table across from Aadhya. She saw him at school everyday, but never really talked to him. Because he was just so cold and distant, almost as if trying to fight his very own thoughts. “Did you eat already?”, his question made her snap out of her thoughts. “Uh, yeah I did. Thanks”, as she looked at him, this time he could see his face much more clearly. His hazel brown eyes that were so captivating yet held some unknown mystery, his sharp jawline and black silky hair. He was literally hot and cute at the same time.

Curiosity got the best of her, as she couldn't help from blurting out the question she had been wanting to ask for a long time, “Why are so cold and distant towards people?” As soon as the words slipped her lips, she instantly regretted it. He looked up to see her, soon enough they were both having eye contact. “Why? Why do you want to know anyways? It won’t give you anything in return”, he stated with an expressionless voice. “Hugo, I know something or probably someone has hurt you. Perhaps caused you to experience something disastrous or tragic. I was thinking that maybe I could help”, still looking at him as she talked. “Will you see the experience from my eyes?”, silently hoping she would agree as he couldn’t hold it in anymore. He had been longing for someone to believe his thoughts, his disastrous thoughts. “Yes of course, I’ll try for you Hugo. Tell me what’s wrong. I promise I won’t judge you, I just want to help you. Let me help you. What caused you to become like this?”

Hugo let out a sigh as he slumped in his chair a little, “There was this one situation where my father came back home from a business trip, heavily drunk. It was around ten o’clock. My mom and I were in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner. She instantly noticed he was drunk and asked him if he was feeling good. But he just shouted at her, said she wasn't enough for her and he actually loves another person. Another woman.”, his voice cracked as he forced the words out. “Please continue”, as she took a seat beside him now, gently rubbing his arm. “Then, he apologised to my mom and me the next morning. He said he just had too many drinks and was just merely drunk that night. But I know he’s lying to us, to my mom especially. I heard him talking with a woman on the phone, and told her that he would soon be with her. There was this one time where I checked his phone while he was bathing, I saw that he called the same woman everyday, at least once. Her name was, Hailey, I guess. I confronted him about this, but he just brushed it off and said that she was just a friend at work.”, tears running down his face as he confessed.

Aadhya hugged Hugo tightly, feeling his tears wet her t-shirt, as she heard him crying softly. “I'm sorry, Hugo. I didn't know you were this hurt. Don’t worry, because now I'm here for you”, as she caressed his teary face slowly. “I tried telling mom but she’ll always say that I shouldn't doubt my dad. Realistically, she just trusts and loves him so much that she refuses to see his flaws, that he could possibly leave her for another woman. She just doesn’t want to accept my perspective.” “And how do you cope with all this? Because this is just so depressing to even think about’, urging him to continue. “Boxing, well not exactly. I have a punching bag in my room, so every time these thoughts appear in my mind, I just let it out on the punching bag. I do wear gloves, but I do it barehanded most of the time. It gets the adrenaline going.” She glanced at his hands and saw his half-bloodied knuckles and a few cuts on his palm. Aadhya grabbed the first aid box from the kitchen counter and took her seat beside him again. Slowly and ever so gently, she cleaned his wounded hands.

“Don’t rub it!”, as he hissed in pain. “Oh, I'm sorry. The antiseptic will cause it to burn a little. It’ll be gone soon.” “Aadhya, I know I have been acting like a stranger towards you. Perhaps to most people. It’s just that I really want someone to view my dad from my perspective, especially my mom. You’re the only person who ever listened and at least tried to see it. I really appreciate it,” as he looked at her, smiling, probably after quite a long time. “I knew something was wrong and it had an effect on you. But if your dad is really doing all this behind your mom’s back, then I suggest we have a talk with your mom. A proper and serious kind of conversation. Then, followed by both your parents at the same time, like probably give them some time to settle it between themselves. This gives your mom to view your perspective and fully understand it when she talks to him. While your dad could be more open with her and confess the truth”, she looked at him, this time a look of hurt painted his face while a feeling of hope played in his eyes. Aadhya couldn't decide what exactly he was feeling after she voiced out her suggestion.

“Does that mean they you know…...like what if they separate? What if my dad really decides to leave us?”, his voice slightly stuttering as he spoke. “Hugo, even if they separate, we just have to accept it as it is. Your dad can’t stay with your mom or force himself to if he doesn't love her anymore or has any feelings for her. As for your mom, it’s going to be an immense pain for her, but I promise that she will move on from him. Of course it will take some time, but with you and Danielle by her side, she’ll heal much faster. She is a strong woman.” “We’ll try this and hope for the best. Even if things do go our way, I’ll accept it, I just want mom and Danielle to be happy”, as he rubbed his neatly bandaged knuckles. She held his hands and smiled at him, “I’m proud of you. I know it’s not easy opening up about stuff like this to other people. I want you to know that I’ll always be there for you.” Hugo smiled, relieved by her words, as he gently caressed her cheeks, he leaned in and kissed her. Neither of them wanted to break away because the warmth was just miraculously soothing, they could feel it travelling through their veins.

“I love you, Aadhya. I know it’s not really the right time, but…….., stammering as he was breathless from the kiss. “But?”, Aadhya eyed him, her voice shaky due to shortness of breath. “But, will you be my girlfriend? I really liked you but after this whole situation happening at home, I kind of didn't want to believe in love anymore. You changed my mind today, you made me believe in love again. Thank you for doing that”, as a small laugh escaped his lips. “Of course I will. I love you too, a lot”, blushing as she kissed him on the cheek. “So, why not show me some of your moves? Maybe, I could learn some and use it on those spoiled rich brats at school”, rubbing her hands with glee. “Woah, calm down sweetheart. You might destroy your pretty face in the process”, he laughed as he picked her in bridal style and took her to his bedroom. Upon entering his room, she smelt the faint scent of jasmines and spice, an odd but interesting nice fragrance. 

----

“No, you were supposed to punch the bag. Not my stomach, Aadhya”, as he pointed to the punching bag. “Oops sorry, definitely didn’t want to punch you in your gut”, giggling as she enjoyed the look of confusion and tiredness on his face. “That’s enough”, as he grabbed her by the waist, pulling her away from the punching bag. “I think that's enough for today. Your hands might get hurt, I forgot to give you the gloves to wear”, as he shook his head shyly. “Hugo! Darling, I’m home!”, came Mrs. Normans voice from downstairs. “You ready, Hugo? We have to do this”, she looked at him, reassuringly, as she held his hand. “Yeah, we’ll do this together. I’m not fighting my thoughts away, neither am I distracting myself from it anymore. I’m ready to face it. You’re what I really needed, someone that actually believed me. You are my cure”, as he hugged her tightly. “And you’re my cure too, darling.”

August 05, 2021 02:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.