Dear Diary...

Submitted into Contest #138 in response to: Write a story about an afternoon picnic gone wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Teens & Young Adult

Friday, May 17th:

“Dear Diary,

Well, it finally happened… Austin Parks asked me out on a date! This has been my dream since the first grade. I can’t believe it’s actually happening! How did I get so lucky to be asked out by the captain of the debate team? It doesn’t feel real.

Austin may be a nerd, but he looks like he could be a supermodel. His long brown hair and tall, muscular build giving off Clark Kent vibes. Glasses included. I can’t compare with my short and frail looking figure. My body having no curves whatsoever. The only attractive features I have is my vibrant red hair and piercing green eyes.

Today, he gave me his number so we could text about what we wanted to do on our date.

*Buzz buzz*

 Oh! That must be him! I’ll fill you in on the details tomorrow.

Ciao for now!

-         Lizzie”

Saturday, May 18th:

“Dear Diary,

I texted with Austin most of the night, and we decided we are going on a picnic tomorrow! It was the simplest and most laid-back option we could think of for a first date. We wanted to be able to talk and get to know each other better. Also, he says his mom makes the best steak and cheese sandwiches! I’m so excited.

I just hope Austin likes me as much as he says he does. He’s a smart guy. There’s a reason he became the captain of the debate team in our freshman year. I don’t doubt he will be named valedictorian next year, too.

Oh! I have to go find something to wear. Being someone who lives in jeans and novelty t-shirts… I’m not exactly prepared for a first date. Maybe I can convince mom to take me shopping. What does one wear on a first date anyway?

Ciao for now!

-         Lizzie”

Sunday, May 19th:

“Dear Diary,

Today’s the day! I’m all ready for my date with Austin! I had started to feel nervous and I thought writing may help calm me down. I have waited for this day for so long and now I feel like I want to puke.

Mom helped me pick out the perfect green dress to match my eyes. She even helped me with my hair and let me borrow her makeup. I think she may be more excited than I am. My dad on the other hand…not so much.

*Buzz buzz*

Austin’s here! I’ll let you know how it goes!

Ciao for now!

-         Lizzie”

*****************************************

“Dear Diary,

I’m back from my date with Austin. We went to the park up the road from my house. Austin found the perfect spot for our picnic; on top of a small flower filled hill in the back of the park where we could have some privacy.

Being the gentleman he is, Austin laid out a beautiful hand knitted blanket for us to sit on. I’m pretty sure it was made by a relative of his. He gestured for me to sit first, and then sat next to me with the picnic basket in front of us.

As he laid out the lunch he packed for us, we began talking about the debate team. I know… not the best conversation for a first date… but it helped us transition into other topics.

We talked about our families. I discovered Austin has an older sister who is currently studying at the Berkeley College of Music. Apparently, she is a piano prodigy. He also told me about his little brother who is, as he says, “a menace to society”. I guess his parents are always getting called to his middle school for bullying other students.

As I listened to him talk, I began to eat my sandwich. Without realizing it, I had finished the whole thing in just a few bites. I hoped Austin hadn’t noticed. But as the conversation changed to me talking about my family, I began to feel nauseous again. Shrugging it off as nerves, I took a small sip of water and began telling Austin all about my family.

The more I talked though, the more nauseous I became. At this point Austin had begun to notice my pale expression. My face began to drip with sweat and I looked around for a bathroom. The only thing in sight was a trash can about ten feet away from where we were sitting.

I ran as fast as I could, just barely making it before I lost my stomach contents into the half full public waste barrel. My stomach heaved multiple times, finally emptying on the last one. I realized Austin had still been there and had witnessed the entire ordeal.

My cheeks began to flush with embarrassment. As I turned to apologize to my date, Austin was standing directly behind me with my bottle of water in his hand. His sudden appearance startled me and I tripped over my own feet and rolled down the grass of this small hill.

When I finally stopped rolling, my face lay in the grass. The blades tickling my cheeks. I was afraid to move. Maybe this was all a dream and my real date with Austin hadn’t started yet. But, the sudden hand on my back told me otherwise.

Still being ever the gentleman, Austin helped me back to his car on my newly twisted ankle. We drove back to my house where he explained what happened to my parents, and they decided to take me to the emergency room to be checked over.

Now, I currently sit in bed with a bandage around my sprained ankle and crutches by my bedside. I found out Austin’s mom had accidentally used expired steak for our sandwiches. Luckily Austin had only just opened his sandwich when I found my way to that trash can or else, we both would have wound up sick today.

*Buzz buzz*

Austin keeps texting me to check up on me.

*Buzz buzz*

It’s sweet, but I’m too embarrassed to answer him. This had to be the worst first and probably last date ever.

*Buzz buzz*

I will have to face him at our debate team meeting tomorrow though. I guess I should figure out what I’m going to say to him…

Ciao for now!

-         Lizzie”

Monday, May 20th:

“Dear Diary,

Austin asked me to be his date to junior prom!! I guess the date wasn’t all that bad after all.

I have to go tell everyone.

Ciao for now!

-         Lizzie”

March 25, 2022 04:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.