0 comments

Christmas

Now that Jenny's retired, and living on a fixed income, she can't shop for the holidays, like she used to.

So, after much thought, she came up with a solution. "Why not write a special poem for each grandchild."

Although it's been years, since she's written one, there was a time, when Jenny performed her own poems, at local fairs and schools. Not that she was an Emily Dickinson or Maya Angelo, but her poetry was well received, by the audience.

And Jenny's husband, always encouraged her to keep writing. He would say, "you're writing is so good," and she always responded, "No it isn't, I just do it for fun."

Tears welled up in Jenny's eyes. She missed him so much. Especially this time of year. He was her main support, and probably just a little bit prejudice.

But Jenny knew all too well, that in life, circumstances change, and sets you on another path.

"She wiped her tears away and grabbed her coat and pocketbook

and headed to the corner drugstore, before they close.

On entering the store, she walked directly to the card aisle.

She had to find the perfect stationary for her project. Then she saw it. It was tucked way back in the corner, with only the edge of the paper showing. It was decorated with green leaves and tiny Christmas trees.

Smiling, Jenny took it from its holder, and searched for red and green ribbon with bows to match.

After paying for her purchase, Jenny hurried home, anxious to begin her task.

Once home, she walked into the kitchen, placed the bag on the table, then reached for the tea kettle. She opened the cookie jar, and took a few out, to have with her tea.

While the tea was brewing, Jenny pulled the items out of the bag, and just stared at them. "What was she thinking," she shouted into the empty room. Her grandchildren wanted toys, computer games, not a poem on a piece of stationary.

It's not that their spoiled, but like any child, they probably wanted the most popular toys and games, that were advertised on TV.

Jenny jumped, when the whistle of the tea kettle filled the room. She poured the tea into her favorite Christmas cup, then took a sip to make sure it was sweet enough.

She looked around the kitchen, that was bright and cheerful, when her eyes rested on the photo of her three grandchildren. It was their school picture.

Jamie's little girl Gracie, was seven, and Daniel's twin boys, Davey and Rickie, were nine.

Then she looked at the clock. It was close to her bedtime.

She washed her teacup, and put the items back into the bag, and went upstairs to get ready for bed.

Yawning, she undressed quickly, and slid underneath the covers, and fell right to sleep.

The next morning, Jenny felt refreshed and ready to go. She drank her tea, and had some toast and eggs, and a glass of orange juice.

She searched for her favorite pen, and once found, opened the bag and took the stationary, ribbon and bows out.

Jenny pulled out one sheet.

"The first poem will be for Gracie, since she is the youngest."

Jenny stared at the blank paper, for a long time. She was just about to give up, when a tiny voice whispered, "just write."

Gracie my beautiful granddaughter

you are wise beyond your seven years

you are my heart

you are the light, that brightens up the dark

and whenever you visit, you bring me such joy

and when you leave, I feel so empty

but always know

I love you so

for you will always be

a part of me.

She folded the paper, then placed it in the envelope, with Gracie's name on the front. Then took a red ribbon and bow, and decorated the envelope.

Jenny got up and stretched her legs. She looked at the clock and realized it was lunchtime.

After she ate a tuna fish sandwich and had some tea, it was time to write a poem for the twins. She knew it would be more difficult, since they were nine.

Jenny will write the first one to Davey. He was the quiet one, the complete opposite of his brother. You would never think they were identical twins.

Taking another piece of stationary, Jenny began the process. "What can I say about Davey," she whispered out loud.

Davey, my handsome grandson

you are my thinker

You are on a pathway to many discoveries

in a world that is full of questions, and

I know, you won't be satisfied

until they are all answered

and though you are only nine, you

have a wonderful, curious mind

You make me so proud

You make me happy

and always know, that I love you

Jenny read and re-read this poem, and hoped that Davey will understand what she was saying.

She folded the paper, wrote Davey's name on the envelope and decorated it with a green ribbon and red bow.

Jenny got up to stretch her legs and arms, and noticed it was dark outside. She looked at the clock and realized it was 7pm.

Opening the refrigerator, there was nothing interesting to eat. Jenny went to the storage room, and grabbed a can of soup and some crackers.

Once she finished eating, it was back to writing her last poem for her grandson Rickie.

Rickie, my handsome grandson

you are the adventurer and

an explorer of the unknown

and even though your nine

I know whatever you do

you will achieve your goal

because whatever road you take

you'll make it your own

you give me joy

you make me proud

and always know, that

I love you

Tears streamed down Jenny's face. She never realized how emotional she would get, writing poems for her grandchildren. They were the loves of her life.

Jenny folded the paper, and wrote Rickie's name. then decorated the envelope with a red ribbon and a green bow.

Christmas day finally arrived. Jenny gathered up the envelopes and placed them under the Christmas tree.

When her family arrived, all three kids ran into the living room. Jenny knew they expected presents to greet them, but instead, saw three envelopes, addressed to each one of them.

"Gracie, Davey and Rickie, I have something to tell you." Jenny then explained about her situation, and handed them their Christmas envelope.

Davey and Rickie read theirs, but Gracie needed help, so Jenny read it to her.

The look on their faces were priceless. They all ran over to Jenny and gave her the biggest hugs ever. They said it was the best Christmas gift she ever gave them.

The End

.

November 30, 2021 03:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.