Jim of New York

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends with a character asking a question.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Hypatia sat between two colonnades of the Serapeum listening to her father address his class. The smell of passing chariots mixed with the gentle wafts of salt blowing off the sea. The scent of home comforted her almost as much as the sound of her father’s lessons.

As her father Theon reached the crescendo of his lecture, a glint of light caught the corner of Hypatia’s eye. She turned to catch its source, but there was nothing that should’ve caused such a flash. She rose and slipped between colonnades to investigate further. A swaying piece of fabric caught her attention.

“Who’s there?” Hypatia called. No answer. 

She wound around the southeast colonnade just in time to catch a lone figure slip into the rear entrance of the Serapeum. Now I’ve got you, she thought. Having grown up spending every waking moment following her father around the library, Hypatia knew the secrets held within this stone temple to knowledge. 

She watched as the seedy-looking man slipped conspicuously between rooms. She knew eventually he’d land himself in the far-most room containing a hidden staircase and conveniently, a secret gate. Hypatia positioned herself around the corner at the release mechanism, poised to act. 

The man entered the small room and with a quick thud found himself behind a retractable series of beams. 

“What the–”

Hypatia stayed hidden as she regarded the captured man. He didn’t look much older than Hypatia herself, maybe his late 20s. His light brown hair was cut short on the sides but grew longer on top as if held in position by some solidifying agent. He smelled of salt air, cypress, and not a small amount of sweat. His left eyebrow had a patch of hair missing in the middle, giving him a rugged look that stood in opposition to the kind, amber eyes they guarded. 

“What is your purpose here,” Hypatia called out from the darkness. 

“Who’s there? Show yourself!” he responded. 

“You should not be here,” she said, stepping into the light. 

The stranger stopped and regarded her for a moment before responding. “I shouldn’t be here? Shouldn’t you be outside listening to the old man?” 

“That old man is my father and the Director of the Library,” she said defensively. “Again, what is your purpose here?” 

“Director of the Library, eh? Okay, so you probably know your way around this place pretty well? Clearly well enough to know how to get me trapped in here, how about getting me out of here?" He smiled as if he were winning. Hypatia was not one to be charmed so easily.

“Not until you tell me who you are and what you’re doing here.” 

“You first.”

“I’m not the one trespassing. Like I said, my father is Theon, the Dir–“

“Yes, yes, Director of the Library. And your name?” 

“Hypatia of Alexandria,” she replied cautiously.

“Hypatia? Really? Well, nice to meet you, Hypatia. I’m Jim.” 

“Jacomus?” 

“What? No, just Jim.” 

“Just Jim?”

“Yes. So now that we’re introduced, why don’t we see about getting me out of here.” He began to shake the bars and move about the room looking for a release button. 

“You still haven’t told me your purpose here, Jim of, where did you say you were from?”

“I didn’t, but let’s just say you haven’t heard of it.” 

“Try me.”

“Okay then. New York. And by the look on your face, I was right.” 

Hypatia could feel her own eyebrows furrow at not having heard of the place. She prided herself on knowing much of the physical world as every true Alexandrian did. It was a port city and ships graced her shores from more places every day. But never had she heard of a place called New York. It piqued her curiosity.

“Tell me of this New York.” 

“Nope, sorry. Your turn. How do I get out of here?”

“The answer to that question lies behind your answer as to your purpose here.” 

“Touché. I’m here for a scroll,” he said glancing around the small room of shelves filled to the brim with scrolls.

“We have a lot of them, as you can see. Along with books and codices, you’re in Alexandria after all. Which are you after? Perhaps I can help you find it.” She now wanted to know more about this stranger and his home of New York. 

Jim looked as if he was pondering his options. 

“Look,” Hypatia said, “I know you don’t know how to get out of here. I do. You need to find a scroll. I probably know where it is. You are one girlish scream from me away from being taken away in irons. I want to know more about this New York if I let you out. Deal?” Hypatia knew how to be succinctly persuasive when she needed to be. 

He squinted at the young woman before answering. “Deal.” 

Hypatia released the lever that freed Jim. He strode out of the small room with a certain air about him not typical of Alexandria. He came closer to her, uncomfortably close for Hypatia’s liking. Only inches from her face he reached out for her arm and whispered, “thank you.” 

Hypatia felt herself being pulled past Jim and into the small room. Nearly stumbling, she caught herself in time to turn and see the beams fall from the ceiling, sealing her in. 

“Hey!” she screamed. “What are you doing?” 

“Sorry, but I work alone and can’t really have you following me, but thank you for letting me out. Oh and that was the room I needed after all.” Jim waved a scroll in front of her before placing it in a strange-looking shiny box and into his bag. “So thank you twice.” 

With that Jim turned and ran out the same direction from whence he came. Hypatia was left alone in the small, confined room with nothing but questions and anger, plenty of anger. 

As soon as Jim was out of view, Hypatia pulled the series of levers behind the scrolls to reveal a stone staircase. There were secrets in this building that few, and surely no thieves, knew about. 

She reemerged into the light of day outside the agora. Only minutes had passed and she was determined to catch the thief. The lecture had just ended leading to a mass exodus of students. She jumped up on one of the nearby carts, eliciting a series of screams and shoe-ing from the owner, but it didn’t matter. Hypatia eyed her prey. She caught Jim running through the plateia, almost getting crushed by crossing chariots. 

Hypatia ran ahead, determined to catch the man. As she neared him, a horse and its rider let out a scream from Hypatia’s left. 

She turned to find the horse rearing its hoofs only inches from Hypatia’s face. With a scream, she fell to the ground. Another horse appeared to her left. The world seemed to stop. Hypatia could see her situation, the one horse bearing down on her while the chariot she was just on teetered on its axle, threatening to fall in her direction. She could see it all but was unable to make herself move. No amount of learning, no amount of knowledge could muster the strength her muscles needed to move out of the way. She raised her hands in a feeble attempt to protect herself when she felt someone grab her shoulders. As she was pulled out of the way, time caught back up to itself.

“Are you okay?” A breathless voice exclaimed. 

“Yes, I…” she turned to find Jim standing behind her, panting from exertion.

“And why didn’t you just stay in your little room, nice & safe?” 

“You!” Hypatia regained her focus. “I want my scroll back.” 

A crowd of guards appeared in the distance, drawn by the commotion. “Okay,” Jim said, “I get that you’re probably going to follow me anyway, so why not come with me? I’ll tell you about New York and you can not give me up to them. Deal?” 

“Why should I deal with you, you broke our last one.” 

“That’s true. But that was then, this time I promise I won't leave you behind.” He held his hand out to her. Against her better judgment, she wanted to agree. Her curiosity was too powerful to cage in the name of supposed safety.

“Fine. I’ll get you out of here. But I’m holding onto the scroll.”

“Whatever, let’s go.” 

The pair snaked through the various merchants along the plateia. Most trying to draw the attention of the crowd back to their wares, paying no mind to two individuals that clearly showed no interest in buying. 

“In here,” Hypatia said as she grabbed Jim’s arm and led him through a small opening between two colonnades into a bathhouse. Hypatia stayed near the door, watching to spy if the guards had truly been following them. Jim, on the other hand, had already released himself from Hypatia’s grip and wandered the apodyterium. 

“Okay, you’re in charge of leading from now on,” he said. Hypatia turned to see him walking up to the few women still remaining from the morning hours. More than a few shot her disgusted looks at having brought a man into the bathhouse at this hour. Hypatia didn’t care. Being the daughter of a philosopher and mathematician that taught her as if she was a son had already branded Hypatia as different. She was no stranger to stares. 

 “Jim!” she hissed, “stop bothering them. Once they leave, we should have an hour before the men begin to arrive.” The pair waved at the last few women as they left the bathhouse. Jim tried to follow one of them, but Hypatia pulled him back. 

“What? I was just being friendly. Alexandria is a very friendly place.” 

“Is that what you call it back in New York?” 

“Hah, no, in New York it involves spending 28 dollars on an overpriced cocktail just to have it thrown in your face.” 

“You come from a very strange place, Jim of New York.” 

“You have no idea.” He turned to the stone bench along the wall, taking the scroll out of his shiny box.

“So what is so important about this scroll that you had to steal it?” 

“It’s a very special one.” He rolled it out along the bench and immediately Hypatia recognized the scroll. It was father’s. He’d only showed it to her once when she was very young. It told the story of their family from the time of the earliest Pharaohs. Her father wouldn’t go into more detail, but she hadn’t seen it since the day her mother died and left it for him. 

“That’s my father’s! What do you want with it?” She tried to grab the fragile parchment from him. 

“Woah, careful. This is an antique,” Jim replied, gently pushing Hypatia away from her family’s scroll. “And you can have it back after I copy it.” 

Jim pulled a small box out of his bag and held it above the parchment. His hand continued frozen in that position, hanging his small box just above the scroll as he turned through the various sections of text. 

“What… What is that thing?” Hypatia finally questioned. 

“It’s a camera. It copies the images on this parchment.” 

“I’ve heard rumors of studies coming from the East about optics, but the idea that your small box contains enough parchment for all of this? Impossible.” 

“And you call yourself a scientist? Most impossible things are merely impossible at the moment.” 

This took Hypatia back for a moment. This stranger from ‘New York’ was right. The world previously thought the earth was flat, but Eratosthenes not only proved it was a circle but measured it. Heron created a device that turned steam into work. Even the great lighthouse Pharos was heralded as impossible until it was built. Science took time to catch the impossible. 

“See, all done,” Jim said as he placed the device back into his bag. He rolled up the scroll, placed it back in the box, and handed it over to Hypatia. 

“Thank you!” She grabbed the box from him, perhaps too quickly. “Mind if I take a look at that camera device of yours?” 

“I don’t think so. Not sure you’re ready for it just yet.” 

“Alexandria is one of the most advanced centers for learning in the modern world, I think I can handle the science of it.” She crossed her arms in protest at the denunciation of her mental abilities.

“How ‘bout this, maybe one day.” Jim got up and headed for the door. “I’m sure you’re anxious to get that scroll back to your library.”

Hypatia crossed just in front of him, attempting to stare him into submission. “You’re never going to let me have that device. But it’s okay, you keep your secrets and I’ll keep mine.” 

“Oh, you have secrets now too?” 

“Yes. Plenty. A woman always does.” She smirked as she continued out the door of the bathhouse. 

“It’s her!” a voice yelled above the crowd. Hypatia looked up to discover a group of monks looking directly at her. 

“Oh no. I have to get out of here.”

“Who are those guys?” Jim asked as he surveyed the group of men.

“Let’s just say they’re not the biggest fans of me or my father.” 

The pair burst into a run, hoping to lose the men in the crowd. As they ran, the streets got even more crowded. Hypatia felt as if she were running through mud. It was already the peak hour for the market and few cared to move out of the way of a woman. Jim continued to pull her forward. 

She felt a tug at her tunic behind her. Hypatia fell to the ground, her head slamming against something hard. The box flung away from her. 

“What are you doing so far from your academy, witch?” One of the men had caught up to Hypatia and pulled her to the ground. She hated these men. They hated her father for teaching science and hated her even more for being a woman that had learned it. “And what is this?” 

The man grabbed the box from the ground, surveying it with curiosity. “Another invention of evil?”

“Actually it’s mine.” Jim appeared from the crowd and hit the man in the face hard with a fist. “And it’s none of your business.” 

He lifted Hypatia into his arms. The smell of exotic spices filled the air. The cacophony of merchants made her already pounding head hurt even more. She tried to focus on staying awake, but her eyelids were getting heavy. Black teased at the corners of her vision. She looked up to see Jim’s face so very close to her own. I think you’re attractive too, Jim. Hypatia blacked out. 

• • •

Hypatia awoke to the sight of Jim standing near her. She was back in her room. The smell of incense filled the air. She tried to sit up, but the room began to spin.

“Woah there, relax.” Jim settled her back down. “Ya know, if you wanted to be closer to me you could’ve just asked, you didn’t need to hit your head just for a hug.” He winked at her and she felt a certain attraction to the man that she couldn’t quite place. She knew better than most the thoughts of men and for once, she felt safe around this one. 

“Right, because I hit my head just to be closer to you.” 

“Hey, who am I to judge women.” He sat next to her on the frame, causing the reeds to rustle against the added weight. “Seriously though, are you okay?” 

“Yes, I’m fine,” Hypatia responded. “Did you save the scroll?” Jim smiled at her.

“I did. Safe & sound back with your father as promised.” His arm brushed up against hers and a rush of electricity traveled between them. She reached for his hand, tracing the lines along his skin until her fingers found the ring on his middle finger.

“What’s this?”

He looked at it for a moment, then as if making a decision, took it off and gave it to Hypatia. She noticed markings on the inside, but they were worn down and difficult to read. 

“Something about balance?”

“Yea, old family motto–” Jim was interrupted by a sound coming from his bag. “No! Now? Really, now you decide to work?” A look of concern flashed across his face as he pulled an odd bracelet out of his bag.

“What is that? What’s going on?” 

“I’m so sorry, Hypatia,” he said, taking his ring back from her. “I have to go. I’m glad you're okay.” 

“Wait, you’re leaving now? But our deal? What about New York?” She suddenly felt worried that he was being ripped from her life before she was ready to say goodbye. 

“I know. I’m sorry. Maybe in another time. I–”

Then Jim was gone. 

Hypatia played the event over in her head. He was talking. There was a flash of light. A strange sound, then gone. Just gone. She ran out of her room to search for him. Then to the street. Then she climbed up on the boxes outside their house. No sight of him. As quickly as he’d entered her life, he’d left it. Jim of New York was gone. 

Years passed, but the memory of Jim never faded. Instead they caused Hypatia to throw herself into her studies even further. She made landmark strides into the fields of science and mathematics until the day her father passed and she once again set her eyes upon the scroll he left for her. The scroll that had brought Jim into her life. As she unrolled the delicate parchment out before her, a familiar glint caught the corner of her eye. The voice that accompanied it filled her soul with excitement. 

“So Hypatia of Alexandria, ready to see New York?” 

May 22, 2020 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Pragya Rathore
13:12 Jun 04, 2020

Loved this one! Great going, keep it up!! Please check out my stories too :)

Reply

Elle Holmes
18:05 Jun 04, 2020

Thank you :D And definitely will head there now :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.