1 comment

Romance

I hate this world. I really do. There’s nothing to it. I work a shitty job with shitty co-workers, making just a little over minimum wage. I’m here right now, sitting at my desk filing order forms for a shipping company. But there’s one thing, that I do love about this shitty job and this shitty world. She sits in the cubicle across from me, divided only by an isle. Black pin straight hair cut to her shoulders, olive coloured skin. Her eyes blue as the ocean. She catches me watching her and gives me a warm smile. Her name is Autumn, and I’ve been attempting to ask her out for quite a few months now. But today is the day, even with the butterflies in my stomach, I am going to finally ask her on a date.  

 

“Hey,” I whisper across to her.  

 

“Jack,” she glares at me, still focused on her work, but I see her lips curl into a smirk.  

 

“Dinner?” I swallow hard, trying to keep the butterflies at bay. 

 

“After work?” She raises her head, ignoring the pile of documents in front of her.  

 

“Yeah, if you’re up for it?” I just need to try and play it casual, but oh please say yes. 

 

“I thought you’d never ask.” A blush creeps up her cheeks and she turns away.  

 

I go back to my work, a permanent smile on my face. My mind wanders to our date tonight, my mind just won’t grasp the information on the forms. I watch the time tick away the minutes and hours I have left.  

 

I’m finally able to focus, only four of hours left in my work day and I’ve got a date with the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen. I hear footsteps passing and stop in front of my cubicle, I glance up and see my co-worker Dan facing Autumn’s cubicle. I hate that guy, I really do. He thinks he’s all that. Just because you’re six foot two, and pure muscle, doesn’t make you all that. Just a guy with a pretty face. I try to ignore him but find myself listening in on their conversation.  

 

“Hello beautiful,” Dan greets Autumn.  

 

“Hello,” she responds dryly.  

 

“How about dinner later? I can take you anywhere you’d like,” it sounds like he’s trying to impress her, I’m glad I asked her earlier.  

 

“I’ve got other plans, but thanks for the offer.” 

 

“Maybe another night then?” He asks.  

 

“Maybe,” she doesn’t sound interested. Good news for me. If she would rather be with him, I’d be living in hell.  

 

Dan sighs heavily and walks away. I look up as he leaves. Autumn catches my glance and smiles, I smile back and return to the paper covering my desk.  

 

“Would you like some coffee?” I ask Autumn as I get up from my seat. I feel pretty damn good right now, considering I was chosen over the buff guy. I think I deserve a coffee. 

 

“I’m alright, thanks,” she smiles.  

 

I smile in return and walk to the break room. It’s a small dull room with white walls and a small kitchenette along one wall. I walk to the kettle and start to boil some water. As the water boils, I get a mug ready to make myself a cup of coffee. I hear the door open and close quickly behind someone. I look up and see Dan stroll in. He looks at me and I can feel his feet eyes drilling into my skull.  

 

“You better ruin tonight, or I’ll ruin you,” he growls.  

 

“I’m not sure what you mean,” I back off and take a step back. He’s too close for comfort.  

 

“Autumn,” is all he says.  

 

“What about Autumn?” I question. I’m going to play dumb as long as possible, seems like the best idea so I don’t get beaten into a pulp.  

 

“I know you’re going for dinner, and if you don’t ruin it and give her to me, I’ll ruin you myself,” he spins around and storms out.  

 

I can only imagine how pale; my already pale face is. I can’t believe I was just threatened. I glance at the digital clock on the wall, it reads three fifty-nine. Only an hour left. I walk out of the break room with my mug of coffee, black, just as I like it. I’m still shaking a bit inside, but Dan wouldn’t really hurt me, would he? He can’t, he would lose everything. Questions keep my thoughts occupied. They whisper thoughts in my head. They won’t leave me; I can feel paranoia creeping its way through my brain. I’m really going to screw up this date now. 

 

My stack of papers doesn’t change much in size. Too many thoughts occupy my brain. I look down at the time. My desktop clock reads four fifty-eight. Time to clean up my desk and head out for my date with Autumn. I group up my paper and put them away in a to do folder. My pens return to the jar on my desk and I shut off my laptop for the night. I take a minute to stare at my reflection in the black screen. My short golden blonde hair is messy, and my brown eyes look tired and full of fear. A bit of colour has returned to my face, thankfully. I stand up and pull on my leather jacket. I grab my wallet, car keys and phone and turn my attention to Autumn who is already dressed and ready to go. She’s got a long plum tweed coat and a black handbag. She gives me a sweet smile and we leave together.  

 

———— 

 

We end up going to a small local restaurant, one chosen by her. It was only a twenty-minute walk from the office. It’s got a bit more of a cozy vibe to it. It suits her. The decor consists of mostly pastel colours and a soft grey finish on the wooden tables. The waitress takes us to a booth near the back of the restaurant. The seats are lavender, which complement her complexion.  

 

“Can I start you off with something to drink?” The waitress asks. She’s sports a periwinkle t-shirt that says ‘Cafe Rose’ above her left breast, paired with black jeans.  

 

“Just some water, thanks,” Autumn starts off.  

 

“I’ll have the same.” 

 

“Wonderful, I’ll be right back,” the waitress leaves with a smile.  

 

“Do you come here often?” I ask Autumn who seems to have already decided what she wants. Her menu rests closed on the table.  

 

“Occasionally. It’s my favourite restaurant.” 

 

“What would you recommend then?” I look up from my menu and see her smiling.  

 

“A pasta, and if you’re not pasta person at least try it.” 

 

“I do like pasta,” I smile. “I think I’ll try their signature pasta then.” I look at a picture of rotini with Alfredo sauce, chicken, and green peppers.  

 

“That’s the best one!” She exclaims.  

 

I see the waiter return with our water. She places one in front of Autumn and then in front of me.  

 

“Do you know what you’d like to order? Or do you need a minute?” 

 

I glance at Autumn who nods. “We’re ready,” I say.  

 

“I’ll have the signature pasta,” Autumn starts off.  

 

“The same for me, thanks,” I hand the waitress our menus and she smiles before walking away.  

 

“I hope Dan hasn’t been rude to you,” she breaks the silence.  

 

“Uh, no, everything is fine. Wh-why do you ask?” I stammer, caught off guard by her question.  

 

“Just he’s been trying to get me to go on a date with him for a while.” 

 

“Oh, I had no idea. Well not to worries everything is fine,” of course nothing is fine, I was threatened. But hey, the 5-foot nine guy with no muscle or sharp jaw line came out on top, who would’ve thought! 

 

“I’m glad,” she smiles sweetly.  

 

“We don’t talk much out of work,” I start off. “What do you enjoy doing?” 

 

“That’s a good question,” she laughs, she looks up and if she’s listing activities in her head. “I enjoy lots of things. Reading, watching movies, long walks. Just to name a few.” 

 

“What’s your favourite genre?” I eagerly ask.  

 

“Mostly romance,” she confesses. “What about you? What do you enjoy?” Her head rests on her hands, which are propped up by her elbows.  

 

“Movies, mostly. But I enjoy reading comic books, and video games too,” we both give a little laugh.  

 

“Like superhero comic books?” 

 

“Yup, those ones,” I give a little laugh and smile at her.  

 

Before I know it, our food has arrived, and it looks just as good as it did in the picture. I take a bite and the Alfredo sauces is creamy. The chicken has been grilled but is still juicy, cut into small slices spread throughout the dish. The green peppers are crunchy.  

 

“Good?” Autumn asks me as I stuff my face with more pasta.  

 

I look up and pause for a second. I swallow my food. “Better than good.” 

 

She just gives a little laugh and continues eating. I look up and glance out the window across the room. I think I just saw Dan looking through the window. But maybe I’m paranoid. He wouldn’t follow us, would he? 

 

Dinner ends before I know it. I wish I could just stay in the moment in time. Not just because of how wonderful my time with Autumn was, but I fear what lurks in the shadows outside. Autumn and I walk hand in hand out the store.  

 

“Can I tell you something?” She asks quietly.  

 

“Of course,” I assure her.  

 

“Dan hates you, and I think it’s because of me.” 

 

“Well if he hates me, it’s not your fault.” 

 

Autumn stops, “I know he threatened you.” 

 

“In the break room, yeah,” I sigh and try not to look at her.  

 

“I don’t want him to hurt you.” 

 

“He can’t, he’ll lose his job,” I’m not sure why she’s so concerned about this.  

 

“I guess,” she starts to walk, pulling my along.  

 

We walk back to the office in silence. My head hangs low, I feel like this date didn’t go as well as I hoped but she seems paranoid with Dan, but I can’t recall and reason for him to truly hurt me. If he did, he would face charges and lose his job. I glance up and see the office building come into view. The only light emitting from the four-story building comes from the emergency lights. We walk into the parking lot, still hand in hand.  

 

“Thank you for tonight,” Autumn gives a sad smile.  

 

“Are you okay?” I question her.  

 

“I’m okay, just worried,” she puts her arms around me unexpectedly. But I wrap my arms around her tightly.  

 

“It’s all fine, I promise.” 

 

“I’m probably just over reacting,” she gives a light laugh, but I see sadness and paranoia behind her laughter. “I should probably get going home. I’ll see you tomorrow.” 

 

“Good night,” I say. She reached up and plants a kiss on my cheek.  

 

“Good night, thank you for a wonderful night,” she smiles. I can feel a blush creeping up my cheeks making my face hot.  

 

I turn around to go to my own car and I see something move behind my car. It’s probably just a raccoon. As I walk around my SUV, I catch a glance of Dan. It’s his build at least. I see a bat in his hand! 

 

“Dan wha-“ and the lights go out around me, the last thing I hear are Autums’ screams and Dans' laughter fading away. 

January 16, 2020 22:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Holly Huntress
21:23 Jan 22, 2020

Great story! The descriptions of the characters are great.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.