0 comments

Speculative Inspirational Coming of Age

The wind whistled in my ears. The waves crashed onto my small boat, drenching it in freezing, salty water. The mast creaked eerily, which wasn't a surprise, considering it looked like sponge bob, with its many holes.

I was drenched myself, and as I fervently prayed to god, my frame shivered with cold and my brains felt as if it was being burned. My guts felt like they were constantly tossed around, lurching here and there wildly.

Seagulls circled my boat, flapping their wings ardently and cooing loudly. The waves crashed into me once more, almost overturning the little floating piece of wood.

''Oh, mighty Poseidon!'' I cried, rowing ferociously with the oars, ''Have mercy and save me this one time!'' I yelled again, anguish and despair in my words.

Thunder and lightly collided, lighting up the sky as if it was the fourth of July. It was undoubtedly an amazing firework show, but this wasn't the time for admiration.

Suddenly, I spotted a strip of land, floating like a petal on a puddle. ''Yes!'' I yelled in surprise, ''Land, ahoy!''

Okay, give me a second to explain. There is no one else on the boat since this journey that I took to sail around the world was completely a solo decision. Plus, it was way too dangerous and anyone in their right mind would pick the much safer and easier way of transportation: land.

Me, being a crazy human being that is lonely (average twenty-something kid), bored, and rich, decided to take a small boat, pack my bags, buy a lot of goodies like chocolate and granola bars because they're so good, and set sail on January 4th.

Now, I'm facing what seemed like the world's biggest problem: a thunderstorm. The thunder started brewing this morning, but I shrugged it off since it seemed many miles away and wouldn't implode the sea with huge grumbles and rain.

More waves hit my boat, this time completely overturning it. Somehow, magically, impossibly, the boat stayed afloat and just turned 360 degrees only to bob up again, as complete as ever, with not even a scratch on it.

''What?'' I asked the boat, and it bobbed in response. I shrugged then began to row fiercely in the direction of that small island.

After a few house of exhausting rowing, heavy breathing and explicit cursing, my boat was washed ashore, on the little island that I had spotted.

The thunderstorm had gone, to wreak havoc in another part of the world, I suppose, and the sun dawned beautifully and brightly, drying my wet boat and wet clothes.

The island was pretty simple itself, with many palm trees crowded in the middle, little crabs wandering in groups, and most importantly: a big, rocky pool right in the middle of the palm tree gathering.

It was a natural pool, carved from the rocks with inherent erosion. The water in the pool was sea water, but entrancingly blue. The water was neither too hot, nor too cold, but just the perfect temperature to soak in and sigh and daydream.

After I had recovered my supplies, I build up a little cosy shelter near the pool with palm leaves, rather huge broken branches, and stray wood pieces.

I ate a hearty but simple meal of canned tuna, a sandwich that was safe because I had kept my sandwiches in zip lock bags, and a kinda salty apple.

Because of the shining sun, the air went from agreeably fresh and cool, to uncomfortably sticky and hot.

I undressed and dried my partly wet clothes on a branch that I had stuck between two palm trees in a horizontal line, letting the warm breeze dry them.

I put an uncertain toe in the water, found its temperature perfect, and did a cannon ball into the pool. I swam around, feeling perfectly at peace with the world, unlike a few hours ago, where I had thought the world was cruel and unfair.

After a few days of living on that comfortable island, I set sail again with renewed vigour, ready to take on any challenges Mother Earth will throw at me.

''I'll see you again, Bobby!'' I yelled at the island, which I had named Bobby, ''And after my trip 'round the world, I'll come with my helicopter and build a house on you!!''

In my free time, where I had nothing to do but just watch the horizon, I wrote poems, and one fine evening, I wrote one about Bobby the Island.

It went like this:

A magical realm,

A hidden gem,

Filled with little crabs,

This one island, I would brag (as my own.)

An oasis of freedom,

An unwritten story told,

A whisper in the trees,

Of the place that grew old.

The ocean's waves,

Muffles its ''welcome''s,

A place that I rave,

And also my second home.

Better than the city,

Better than life itself,

Oh, how I miss Bobby,

Upon my word, I'll live there myself.

A secret left quiet,

An enchanting life wasted,

With pretty views and a simple diet,

A piece of it, I have tasted.

A small thing,

Its whispers gone in the breeze,

Happiness that island brings,

Fills my eyes with tears.

A pool in the middle,

A place where I can weep,

A place full of riddles,

And many secrets it keeps.

The trees give shade,

The pool gives cool,

The sun gives heat,

I am free, with no rules.

Free from the hustle,

Free from the bustle,

Free from the people,

Free from the tussle.

The day feels warm and nice,

The night feels good and wise,

The afternoons feel calming and soft,

The noon, the sun high up aloft.

Bobby the Island,

I keep in my heart,

I love you still,

Even when we're apart.

The poem touched my heart, and I have to admit that I shed a few tears over it, my true emotions revealed at that faithful moments.

Every night before I go to bed, I say, ''Bobby, I'll come and see you again.''

Every morning, as I awoke, I say, ''Bobby, one day you'll see me again.''

That island has kept me happy and reminds me that little things are the things most loved. Those little things, you never realise that they're there until they're gone.

Those little things keep you going, keep you alive, keep you waking up every day and putting one foot in front of the other.

Those little things help you live. So, never forget the little things, for the little things affect the big things as much as the big things affect the little things.

Now, I want you to think over this question and answer it honestly and from the bottom of your heart:

What are your little things?

Good luck on answering that, my friend, and for now, goodbye.

March 04, 2024 11:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.