Dear Diary

Submitted into Contest #139 in response to: Format your story in the style of diary entries.... view prompt

1 comment

Suspense Horror

You must be so confused. Don’t be scared my little bunnies. Answers will be given eventually. This is only the beginning. Slowly everything will be revealed. I will tell you a story of broken people, beautiful people. Don’t you see. They’re still here. They sing and dance to the music. They’re perfect. They’re beautiful. She is so sorry about what she did to them, but there is nothing she can do. Remember this.

~ShadowMan

August 1st

I moved to a new place, hopefully things will be better here. It’s pretty quiet though. I’m still kind of sad the last city didn’t work out. I thought a busy place would help cover up my tracks, but that failed miserably. I’ve gotten better at hiding, this time no one will find me. I fixed my mask. Now, I will resist the temptation to remove it. If I do, I won’t be able to escape in time. I had to burn my last diary so no one could figure out who I was. I was sad doing it. I’m not sure why. I guess I secretly hoped someone would read it and help me, maybe even be my friend. But no one is going to want to be my friend. But it’s not my fault. Well, I guess it technically is. But it’s still not fair. I didn’t choose what I was born into. I didn’t choose to be a ---I think I hear someone outside. I’ll write in here again tomorrow.

No one wants you. I am the only one who cares about you. I fixed you. You are perfect the way you are. Don’t wish for anything else.                                                                                                                                                                                    ~ShadowMan

August 2nd

I got my name changed today. It’s funny, I can’t remember how many people I’ve been, or how many masks I’ve worn. My new mask’s name is Jade. I’ve always liked jades. They were my favorite gem. They kind of had a dark and mysterious vibe to them. I can’t afford to be dark and mysterious anymore. Everyone suspects the dark and mysterious neighbor. But I suppose it isn’t normal for your neighbor to not be around all day. But I can’t help that. I used to be fun and full of life, and I had friends. I used to be happy. I am not so happy now. I’m mostly guilty. I wasn’t guilty when I was little. I guess I never really questioned where the food came from. I just ate it. I was so much happier back then. That is until the humans came. I was lucky. I can’t say the same about the rest of the people in my village. I hope they’re happy now. I hope my parents are happy too. Up in the stars. Eating and drinking as much as they like, without having to feel guilty, enjoying the sun. I’ve always wondered what it looked like. We used to see pictures of it in school. It was so beautiful. It is setting now; I’ll go out to eat soon.

That’s right. Never forget what they took away from you. Never forget your past life.                                                                                            ~ShadowMan

August 3rd

I met a human girl last night. She was crying on a bench, so I asked her what was wrong. She told me her family hated her and that she wanted to run away. Her name was Sophia. It’s a pretty name. I can hardly remember my name. I mean my real one. It’s buried somewhere in my mind, underneath years of memories and masks. She told me she liked my eyes. I do too. They’re green. I liked Sophia. She was very kind. I think I needed some kindness. I was tempted to remove my mask. I wanted to show her who I was. Part of me wanted to believe that she will help me, but I knew better. I was sad when He made her go. I told her I was sorry. I don’t think its my fault. I don’t make them go. He does. But I don’t think I’m completely innocent. I hope she is happy up there in the stars. I guess her family can’t make her feel sad up there. If she isn’t happy then I guess it’s His fault. I try not to think about it too much. At least I’m full now. But it’s hard to enjoy your food when you stare at dead eyes.

Sophia walked into the woods with Jade, talking. It had been a long time since she had felt slightly happier. “Your eyes are very pretty,” she said. “Thank you,” Jade said quietly. Sophia couldn’t understand why Jade looked so sad. “I’m sorry it’s the last thing you’ll see.” “What do—” Sophia started. Then she screamed. No one heard her. She is not screaming anymore. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful.                                                                                 ~ShadowMan

August 4th

I had a dream this morning. I was a human. It was strange to not have to go hunting. And to have my teeth all the same size and so dull. In my dream I had a dog. He was very fluffy and cute. I would like to have a dog. But I can’t. He wouldn’t last long. It would be too tempting. But the best part was, I didn’t have to wear my mask. And people would smile at me for who I am. And I didn’t have to pretend to be anything. I wish I was a human. No, then I wouldn’t have met my parents. They are good people. I wish my parents were human too. Then we could have a happy family. Like the kind you see in movies. We could have a dog. I would want him to be white. Like the one in my dream. White is a beautiful color. It stands for purity and innocence. I am not white. At least I don’t feel white. He hurts white people and make them go. I feel sad for that. I hate how humans think people like me are monsters. We’re not. We’re people just like them. But they don’t see it that way. It’s funny, all the chickens and cows probably think they’re monsters. But they don’t seem to care. They don’t care about a lot of things. If they did then maybe my family would still be here.

It was wrong of me to write that. Not all humans are the same. Some care more than others. Sophia was like that. She cared a lot. But not enough to help people like me. I have met other people like that. But they all had to go. It’s sad. The world needs more people like them.

I am very disappointed in you                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           ~ShadowMan

August 7th 10:00 AM

I know it’s a bit early to be writing in here, but I can’t sleep. Last night I was exploring the woods and I found a building. It was very old and was filled junk. I suppose this is the type of building humans believe are haunted. They have such strange beliefs. It reminds me of a treehouse I had when I was little. I loved it. I thought of it as my secret hideout. I guess this building can be my new secret hideout. I think I might as well try to go to sleep since it’s too early to do anything. 

Oh dear. That place is going to be home to one of the towns biggest mysteries. Maybe you could call it a murder. But I’m getting ahead of myself. 

~ShadowMan 

August 8th 6:00 AM

Something happened. I was in my hideout when three people came. I was scared. I watched them to see what was going on. I thought about talking to them in my mask. But it would be hard to explain why I was there. So instead, I hid in the shadows. I’m good at that. I heard their names. Brian, Ashley, Aaron. I think they were planning to spend the night. It’s a strange thing to want to do. To come here. I was curious what events would lead a person to come to place like this. Ashley brought a dog with her. I really really wanted to hunt. It was basically a free meal. So, when they were asleep, I crept out of the shadows and grabbed the dog. I took it to the basement. That way the barking wouldn’t wake anyone up. I was eating when it happened. The door opened. Someone was there. It was Ashley. 

The next day when Brian and Aaron woke up, Ashley wasn’t there. They thought she left early. She was in the basement, screaming as loud as she could. But no one heard the screams. Ashley is not screaming anymore. She saw something she wasn’t supposed to see. Now She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful                                                                                                                                                                               ~ShadowMan 

September 7th

Who are you? What are you? I’ve seen your writing in here. What do you want?

How nice to finally speak to you at last. I won’t give away the surprise of who I am just yet. As for what I want, I just want what’s best for you.

Are you-are you here to hurt me?

Of course not. As long as you stay out of my way, and we agree on certain. . . things, you won’t be harmed at all.

R-right.

Good. We have an agreement then.

~ShadowMan

September 14th

It was supposed to be normal. Everything was going as it always did. Then why didn’t it feel normal? Why did it feel so different? I was leading another girl to the woods, He would kill her, and I would eat. That’s how it always went. So, what was wrong? It was like the wind and the sky and the trees were whispering something to me. Something too soft to hear. The girl, I didn’t bother to learn her name this time, was talking about her family. She had such a perfect life. I admit I was a bit jealous. There was no point in that though, she was going to die anyway. I was just tired of it all. Tired of killing people. Tired of ripping families apart. But I’m not the one who does it. He does. It’s not my fault. It’s His fault. But then I understood what the world was telling me, and I felt a cold fury grip me. Fury at myself. I was doing this. I am luring them to their deaths, while they thought I was their friend. He may be killing them. But I was leading them to Him. It’s my fault. It’s my fault. It’s my fault. It’s my fault. It’s my fault. I’m the monster. Why hadn’t I seen it before? Because I wanted them to die, I realized. I hated them. All of them. You need to eat, a part of me whispered. I’ll find another way. There’s always another way. This isn’t it. I’ll change. I promise. That’s when I heard it. The silence. He was here.

He loomed over the girl. He was made of shadows. Pure darkness. His talons were inches away from her throat. Her eyes were wide, her mouth opened and closed, no words coming out. He stood, waiting. Waiting for me. I would give a small nod, He would kill her and I would eat, He would melt back into the shadows and I would leave, He never said anything and I never questioned him, that’s how it aways went. Not today. Not anymore. “No” I said, barely a whisper. He tilted his head, studying me. Curiously. And for the first time he spoke, in a horrible rasp.

“Humans are food, not friends.”

“No,” I said. “They were good people, all of them. We killed them.”

“Don’t forget what they did to you.”

I shook my head. “The ones who killed my family are all gone now. These people had nothing to do with it. I won’t let you hurt them anymore.”

He snapped the girl’s neck and dropped her on the ground. He strode towards me, claws outstretched.

“I believe we had an agreement.”

I can’t say I didn’t warn her. It’s ironic really, a monster dying for a human. It’s a shame I was the one who made her go. But after all She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s beautiful now.

~ShadowMan 

April 01, 2022 13:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

02:19 Apr 07, 2022

Well, that was...dark. This is not my usual genre, but I think people who like this would really enjoy it. It has good potential as a longer piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.