3 comments

Contemporary

It happened again your too taken by surprize and shock to say anything at the time. About the rudeness of others. Well she walked right in front of me towards the checkout in the supermarket. Some would have said "This lady or gentle man was first." She look around slowly opening her purse checking her club cards, before handing the assistant a fifty pound note. Not enough change in the till. Hence having to wait for the till to be checked. All because rather than argue, or kick up a scene, I did the decent thing or so I thought. By letting her push her way in front of to get served. Well she left the supermarket with her arms full of goods, no apology for the delay. Getting into her car still smiling as she removed the curtain of black hair from her face. Others who had also been kept waiting watched her leave, without voicing their opinion's.

Should I put it down to experience? I was brought up by my peers, parents grandparents and school teachers as a child to think that good manners, did not cost anything. Or do others feel good getting a kick out of upsetting others. Maybe she had done this before and got away with it. Her motto being first come first served. Well I tell you I felt livid. Counting slowly to ten before leaving the store.

Some would have said, the world and peoples attitudes are changing. The stress of life, cost of living, its effect on society. You ought to have spoke out at the time too late now the bird as flown. I would have said this, or done that. Street wise is that the word many would use, charm, manipulation of others, they are well practised at their game. Waiting to get of the bus, quite often people push past before you can say or do anything.

One woman in particular had an heavy trolley pushing, well she nearly took my toe with her. The curt reply, " I'm here now. Maybe she saw the look of dismay on my face. Could someone have assisted her with the trolley. Do people want to get involved, if it does not concern them. Questions, answers all apart of life, facing each day as it comes and hoping for a better tomorrow.

The day had to improve showers of rain and the odd sunny spell sunshine and light, a bit like life. Sitting in the local Café close to a very pleasant park taking in the view pondering my thoughts. I felt at ease with a warm drink and my small dog at my feet. A nice lady on the next table reading her book, giving my dog the odd pat as she nuzzled the woman's arm.

Oh, so peaceful to unwind removing my hat and coat. Some time later before leaving, deciding to use the ladies room, I heard voices "Who's is this hat and coat" "They belong to one of the locals came the reply." Entering the room I saw a man sitting at my table, his wife holding my hat and coat in her clammy hand. Rude or what? I had finished my drink, so accepted my items. "Its nice here now we have the best table facing the park". I could have had them leave the table and go to one of the other vacant tables. Would it have made me feel better, to see their satisfied expressions change.

No, there was more to come, The lady opposite had stopped reading her book agreeing with the comment. "Oh said the woman who had practically badgered me from my seat, I notice, your not with your partner?"

"We split up, we are still friends." said the other lady who had been so nice to my dog.

I felt so sorry for the poor woman who had expected to enjoy her book in peace. "The man then said Oh, we have been married for over fifty years smiling at his wife."

Were these people just plain rude? How did they treat each other when the lights were not shining so bright in their favour. Did they set out to annoy others or was it just by habit or coincidence.

The only way they knew how to make conversation or create a scene perhaps. Winners and losers was I the better person moving away with my dog in tow. Did I dwell on matters to deeply these days.

Questions, answers, why did I feel bad, surely it was better to walk away let them think they had gained a poor victory. Did these type of people ever feel remorse about their treatment of others. Who knows, or heaven knows why I care. Because working as a carer, gave me the incitive to try to help others, treat others how you would wish to be treated yourself. Or should it be do not let others take advantage or see you as a fool. I thought walking across the damp grass on my way home, you guessed the rain matching my mood.

I have a small apartment, my dog, warmth light, people who chat and take the trouble keep in touch. Can the same be said about some of these people I have spoken about. Do they have to draw attention to themselves to gain results. Do they ever think about the feelings of others. Do they not see others as having feelings to. Is it self importance thinking, I let nothing or no one stand in my way. Because of who I am or what I have become.

Coming to a close with my essay. I will leave you to come to your own conclusion. Its all written down debatable out for discussion one might say. Food for thought, open honest. Having tried several times to put it into writing. Maybe I will relax and read a book before retiring to my bed. After all being a writer is taking note of what one sees and hears. Beware I maybe watching you? When you take the train or bus, rush in front of me.

February 18, 2024 00:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Levi Vela
19:05 Feb 24, 2024

I loved your concluding paragraph. I thought it was a bold and thought provoking way to wrap it up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Christine LW
17:53 Feb 24, 2024

Thanks Patricia, Some people seem to get off, by hurting others? In fact their so full of themselves, they do realise what they have done. Reading this they may think, perphaps.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patricia Casey
15:25 Feb 24, 2024

Hi Christine, I like the passion you express in your reaction to the rudeness you experienced. We can have all the right answers when we think about it later, but when caught off-guard by the behavior of others, we respond passively, annoying ourselves in the process. curtain of black hair from her face (Nice description) I think if you read your writing out loud, it might help you to reduce incomplete sentences and also help you to hear where thoughts aren't completed before moving to the next expressed idea. How did they treat each ot...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.