A Ritual to the God Kaal Bhairov

Submitted into Contest #205 in response to: Make your protagonist go through a rite of passage.... view prompt

2 comments

Teens & Young Adult

Ronnie remembers sitting at the bar in the army club, drinking a beer with a friend. The topic turned to Hinduism and ritualism in the world. Ronnie’s friend mentions strange rituals in pristine Hinduism that defy explanation. Ronnie is looking at his friend and asks him. “What are you talking about?”

“I am talking about the Aghori clan”.

“I’ve Just heard the name, but I know nothing more.”

“Well, this is an ancient Hindu sect that claims to follow original Vaishnavism, and they have weird rituals which give them special powers. This sect worships Kaal Bhairov, the fierce form of Lord Shiva, who is the foremost deity in Hinduism and is both the creator and destroyer”.

“Looks a little weird, but then there are so many things that cannot be explained. Can you elucidate a little more about these rituals and the powers they bestow on these men?”

“Oh well, my friend, the rituals have a macabre tinge and include sex in the graveyard. What we call a Hindu crematorium and dabbing the woman with the ashes of the burned bones of the dead, and the chanting of mantras, that lead fulfilment of any wish.

“Well, what sort of wish?”

“There are reports that barren women, who have been medically certified as unable to conceive have consorted with the Aghori sadhus in the dead of the night while copulating with one or more in the graveyard. The women it appears are smeared with the ashes of the dead before the act. Oh yeah, there are also some reports that menstruating women are part of this ritual.”

“Is there any specific time for this ritual?”

“Yes, the ritual takes place on a full moon night.”

“Do you know where this happens?”

"Yes, It’s in a graveyard, close to the temple of Kaal Bhairov.”

The scene now shifts to the city of Ujjain. Sally arrived in Ujjain on a Sunday morning and checked into the local hotel. She is 35 old but remarkably well-preserved, and in a way, you can almost call her beautiful. She is an English girl married for 14 years, but the union has not borne fruit and she is still childless. Her husband was not at all happy because medical tests have proved that there is no problem with him. Sally has realized the problem is with her. She has come to Ujjain, after hearing from her Indian friend, that there was a clan, called the Aghori, which carried out rituals in the dead of the night in the Hindu graveyard and after getting their blessings all wishes are fulfilled by the Lord. She had specifically mentioned that she had heard of reports that barren women had conceived. Oh, this was what had increased salary, and he had to resort to making a trip to Eugene. In her free time, she also read about the god Kaal Bhairov, who in real terms, is another image of Lord Shiva.

Who is Kaal Bhairov? He is the fierce form of the Lord Shiva, who in the Hindu religion, is regarded as both the creator and destroyer. Kaal Bhairov represents the nether world, the realm of the occult and black magic. She also reads about the temple at Ujjain dedicated to this God and the peculiar thing is that when some liquor or wine is held to the lips of the lips of the deity, it mysteriously disappears, and most people believe that God himself has drunk it.

Ever since she met her Indian friend, she is consumed with a desire to meet someone who can take her to the Aghori clan. She had no knowledge of how she was going to go there, and she was just wondering what to do. She had the telephone number of one army major, who was the brother of her friend who had told her about the Aghori sect. She had also been told that when she reached Ujjain, she could contact this man, who would help her.

Ronnie Singh had just left the bar when his mobile phone rang. He attended the call and was pleasantly surprised that a lady is online.

“Are you major Ronnie?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Good, I am Sally and I’m a friend of Rani, who has given me your reference. I’m here for a special mission and I want to meet the Aghori clan.”

Ronnie is surprised and then recollects that Rani had mentioned something about her friend and the Aghori clan.

“I want to caution you that it’s not advisable to meet any of this clan because they’re into weird sex and though many persons claim, they have supernatural powers, I have my doubts.”

Sally thinks for a moment and replies, “Well, maybe true or not but I want to give it a try because I have a special problem.”

“OK I don’t know the problem but I’m coming over to the hotel and then we can sit and discuss it.”

They met in the lobby, and she was impressed with Ronnie, and he asked, “Can you tell me what the problem is and how you expect it to be solved.”

“Well, I will be frank with you and tell you that I want to meet the Aghori clan and though it is weird I am pretty sure that some good will come out of it”.

“Oh, what exactly is the problem?”

She did not reply but only said, “Please help me to meet this clan and their leader”.

Ronnie thinks for a moment and replies, “Well since you have decided I will help you."

But these are not very nice people, and they worship the god Kaal Bhairov and most of the rituals are carried out on a full Moon night in a graveyard. It’s weird and I wonder whether you would like to go there because even if you go through with the rituals, there is no guarantee that you will get what you wish as there is no scientific study that certifies that the Aghori have any special powers. I understand they are addicted to drink and drugs, and they have rituals that take place in the graveyard, and that means having sex with one or more of the clan.”

“Is the sex part essential?”

“Yes, it is, because in Hindu philosophy, there are many paths to salvation and God, namely, penance and prayer, education and study, good work and deeds, and the last is through the act of procreation with a woman”.

“Sounds pretty weird”.

“Yes, it is, but then this is part of the belief.” Sally just smiled. She had decided that she would meet the clan and replied, “Please don’t worry, all I request is that you arrange a meeting with the Aghori clan and after that, if you want you can go away, I’ll manage on my own.”

“You’re sure about it? in any case, don’t worry I’ll be around to help you.”

Raunaq left Sally at the hotel and drove to the temple of Kaal Bhairov wondering how he should make the first step. He goes to the back of the temple and there under a tree he sees a Sadhu sitting and he is smoking a hookah. He walks up to me and says, “, can I disturb you for a minute.”

The sadhu doesn’t like the question and then looks at Ronnie with unblinking eyes, which have a hypnotic effect, and replies, “I am never disturbed because this is the will of the Lord but if you want anything, just let me know.”

“Friend,” Ronnie replies,” I have a request, I have a friend who has come from England, and she would like to attend one of your sessions in the evening”.

“She is a lady?”

“Yes”

The Sadhu contemplates for a moment and replies, “I don’t know, I will have to ask the Supremo about it, but perhaps he will agree. I can understand what her problem is.”

“How can you understand her problem?”

The Sadhu smiles and puffs at his hookah,” I have a third eye in my forehead, and I can look into your heart, into the future and I know what the problem is.”

Ronnie keeps quiet and the Sadhu continues, “You will bring this lady to the graveyard the crematorium just 2 km south of this temple in the middle of the night when it is the night of the full moon”.

“What would happen then?”

“That is not your problem”.

Ronnie went back to the hotel and conveyed the information to Sally. He told her to be ready by 10:30 on the appointed day and he would pick her up and take her to the graveyard.

It was two days to the full moon, but those passed quickly as Ronnie was also in some form of tension, and finally at 10 o’clock on the appointed night both leave the hotel and drive away into the night.

Sally’s mind is in turmoil, and she is wondering what to do; one part of her mind tells her to go back to the hotel's security, but the second part wants that she carries on. She was just thinking about what to do when the short drive ended, and they pulled up in front of the graveyard.

The atmosphere all around was erie and a cold wind blew. It was supposed to be a full moon night, but clouds covered it and there is no moonshine. The cold wind is blowing, as it was the month of October heralding the onset of winter. Ronnie wants her to pull the poncho around her neck and tells Sally that she may like to wear something warm and maybe she would like the poncho around her arms. She shrugs it off as she is not feeling the cold as her body is tingling with expectation.

They enter the graveyard, and then Ronnie is in a bit of shock as he sees about six sadhus moving toward them. The initial shock is replaced by curiosity. No words are spoken as one of the sadhus kneels down and begins to recite some mantra. A drum beat also commences, and in the dead of the night, it makes a bizarre sound.

Sally steps forward and then one of the Sadhus moves towards her and gently takes her hand and says in broken English, “I know why you come, but your wish is going to be fulfilled because the Lord has willed it.”

Another sadhu now approaches with a long glass and motions her to drink from it. Another sadhu now brings another glass and hands it to Ronnie, with the words,” Drink it.”. He had half a mind to refuse it, but then drinks it in one gulp. It was alcohol mixed with something which he could not decipher, and it went straight to his brain, and he closed his eyes. Sally had no inhibition and Ronnie watched as she drank the entire glass. She closes her eyes as she begins to feel dizzy.

Involuntarily, she slowly begins to kneel on the Earth, and Ronnie watches as another sadhu appears like a shadow with an urn of ashes and empties the contents over her head. Ronnie keeps on watching all this, and then the sadhu tells him,” Either you go away, or you’ll be part of this ritual”. Ronnie just moves back as a burly sadhu now comes forward and he sees the sadhu remove the frock and blouse of Sally. She is now in a trance and vaguely aware of what is happening, the effect of the concoction. In a trance, she watches as she is disrobed and the sadhu, the burly one lays her on the ashes strewn on the earth.

Sally is now in a trance; she is naked and vaguely she can see the monster phallus of the sadhu. She is conscious of the Sadhu tonguing her and all she can think is the pleasure, heightened by the elixir she has consumed. She senses the sadhu mounting her and then it was an esoteric delight. She feels warm and floating on a cloud as the Sadhu continues. Ronnie watches all this, too shaken to react or say anything. The drum now beats louder, and Sally is overtaken by a convoluting orgasm but someone else replaces the burly sadhu and she feels she is in heaven. Ronnie watches all this from some distance, too shaken to react to this weird pantomime. Oh, the drum now reaches a crescendo drowning the music from the flute. Sally is conscious of the thrusts, vigorous and quick; a third? She can’t tell.

Sally is now feverish, and she has reached the last frontier, nirvana. She wants to say something but all she can do is to groan and moan. A wolf howls in the night and the clouds are gone and the entire scene is bathed in yellow moonshine. She can sense someone between her thighs, and she is opening like a doorway to paradise. She is not feeling cold but warm and she opens her eyes and is conscious of a sweaty and powerful sadhu with a black beard. She is conscious that someone is inside her body, and she feels like she is floating on a cloud. She closes her eyes as orgasm and pleasure overwhelm her. Everything now moves as if she is in another realm. She is moving. In a chariot in the heavens, the horses are rising toward the moon, and she has lost all consciousness. She hears the incantation of the mantras and then the man gives a yelp like an animal, and the realization dawns on her that she is possessed again.

Ronnie watches the spectacle with great apprehension, and he feels a stirring in his body. One of the sadhus sees him and comes closer and says,” You can also be a part “, but Ronnie says no. He didn’t want any part of this, and he just moves away. All he can see is the convoluting body of Sally as she lies on the ashes of a cremated man.

Much later, Ronnie drove the lady to the hotel. She was still in a stupor as the drug has not yet left her body, so he helps her to the bedroom. He carries her scantily clad to the room. There is no one around. He carries her to her room and puts her on the bed. He sees her lying on the bed and a desire is kindled. But he just ruffles her hair and walks away shutting the door.

He reaches his quarter in the officer’s mess and goes to sleep, but not before he has at least 3 to 4 pegs of Chivas Regal. He wakes up the next day and rings Sally’s mobile but there is no response and he follows up by ringing the reception of the hotel. He enquires about Sally, but the answer is ‘The lady has left.’ He wonders what is happening; was all that happened in the night, an hallucination? Would Sally get her wish fulfilled? He tried to dismiss the thought from his mind, but days after this incident, the thoughts, and images flash before his eyes.

Many nights perhaps weeks passed and once again, Ronnie was sitting in the bar. He had just taken a sip of his whiskey when he got a call, and he answered the ring. It was his friend and she spoke to him and said,” Ronnie, I think you have done a great deed.”

“What deed have I done? ”

Sally is in the family way; she claims that she had attended a spiritual session with the Aghori, but I don’t believe one word of it. I think naughty man, you are the culprit but all the same it’s all for a good cause.”

“Look,” Ronnie said,” it’s not like that…”, but the line went dead, and Ronnie was left, holding the mobile in his hand.

July 08, 2023 02:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Zeeshan Mahmud
13:51 Jul 19, 2023

I really enjoyed this story as much disturbing it was. Love this: "In a chariot in the heavens, the horses are rising toward the moon, and she has lost all consciousness. She hears the incantation of the mantras and then the man gives a yelp like an animal, and the realization dawns on her that she is possessed again." Only thing.. perhaps the tagging could be changed?

Reply

MG SINGH
22:01 Apr 20, 2024

Thank you, friend for comment and suggestion

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.