100 comments

Suspense High School Friendship

Author’s Note:

Hey everyone! Here is the FINAL part to my Reedsy cast! Thank you all SO SO SO much for being here for the past few months, I can’t express how grateful I am for everyone tuning in!

And a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to everyone who participated!

Now.... this part is from B’s perspective, and why she started this whole mess to begin with.

Thanks for sticking with me through all of that, and I hope you’ve all had a great summer!

~~~

:- Three Years Ago -:

: January 2nd :

“B!”

I turned to see Camryn, sprinting up the stairs. I smiled, “Hey, Cam! How’s your wrist?”

“Better,” he shrugged, “The cast got removed yesterday, I can finally write with my right hand.”

I laughed, “That’s good. Are you allowed to play on the team now?”

“Not for a couple more weeks,” he sighed, “But it’s better than nothing.”

“See, and I think nothing would be better.”

He grinned, “True. Hey, you’re still coming over this weekend, right?”

I opened my mouth to respond when Cleo ran over to me, tackling me in a hug.

“B! Where were you this whole break?” She groaned, “I’ve been stuck babysitting the twins, they colored over my brand new sweater last weekend!”

I cracked up, “Seriously, when will they grow up?”

“Not too sure, they’re eleven and they still act so immature.”

“Eh, give them time to grow up,” Camryn shrugged.

Cleo sighed, “We’ll see, won’t we?”

“You’re coming this weekend though, right?” asked Camryn, “I just want to make sure everyone’s there.”

“Of course I’m coming, well, as long as the twins don’t stir up any more trouble. I seriously wish they’d be responsible enough to-”

“Hey, guys!” Cleo walked over, “Hurry, you three are about to miss the first period!”

“Oh god, it’s almost 7:30 already-?” I asked, checking my cell phone quickly. “Dang it, I need to grab my books. I’ll see you guys at lunch!” I quickly sprinted down the halls (earning a couple scowls from the teachers) as I looked for my locker. I quickly put in the combo and searched for my history book.

“Hey, B! Looking for this?”

I turned to see Maddie leaning against the locker next to mine, holding up my history book.

“Hey! How’d you get that?” I said, noticing my signature on the cover.

“You left it in class,” she smirked, “Mr. B asked me to hand it to you before class started.”

“Because your everyone’s favorite?” I teased.

She rolled her eyes, scowling, “You know very well you’re popular, don’t even deny it.”

“I’m not,” I said, then realizing how that sounded, “I mean, I’m not popular. If anything, you are. I don’t even pay attention to this stuff,” I snatched my book back, and shut my locker, “Besides, why do you even care? We’re best friends, aren’t we?”

She bit her lip, “Yeah, but still. I figured you should know.”

“Right, well, I gotta head to class. Walk with me?” I asked her with a half-smile.

“Walking with Isla and Chris. Maybe another time,” she said quickly.

“Ok… at least join me at lunch? You haven’t sat with me for a while. Besides, I wanna know what you’ve been up to. When was the last time we even talked?”

“I’m sitting with them today, sorry,” she muttered.

“Well,” I said, trying to fill in the silence, “I… guess I’ll see you later then?”

“Yeah, sure.”

She walked away without another word, leaving me confused and slightly hurt.

~~~

Later at lunch, I barely paid attention to Camryn talking about his struggles during break with his broken wrist. I spaced out when Cleo shared the “Tales of the Terrible Twins,” or when Cora started joking about how I seemed more angsty than normal today.

I found myself looking at Maddie’s table, watching her laughing with Isla and Chris, and everyone else. Something was off about her, she wasn’t normally like this.

“You know very well you’re popular, don’t even deny it.”

I guess she was right, but when did she care about that stuff? Sure, she didn’t mind being well-known. But popularity was never something on her mind before. There was something… different about her.

But… I hadn’t talked to her since my birthday in October. Maybe she changed?

My stomach soured as I pushed my food farther away from me.

“You ok?” asked Camryn, looking at me. “You haven’t been saying much since this morning.”

I nodded, faking a smile. “Just feeling a little sick, that’s all.”

“Oh, well hope you feel better soon!” said Cleo, clearly not believing me.

I nodded again, glancing at Maddie again. This time, she was looking straight at me, scrowling. She quickly turned away, my nerves even worse than before.

~~~

: February 15th :

“So are you auditioning for the upcoming school play?” Ashlyn asked me, bringing me out of my trance.

“Wait, could you repeat that? Sorry, I spaced out for a second,” I muttered.

“She asked if you were going to audition for the school play,” Camryn repeated, “And by the way, you need to stop stressing out about Maddie.”

“How did you-”

“Know? I’m your second best friend. I know these things,” he shoved me as I smiled.

“So, what’s the play about?” I asked, changing the topic.

“It’s Beauty in the Beast. I think Ms. Carter’s running out of ideas at this point, they did the same thing during my brother’s sophomore year.”

“Oh ok, I might audition. I don’t know...”

“You’re an amazing actress, you’d do great!” Ashlyn said, smiling.

“Thanks,” I smiled.

“Sign ups are during lunch, wanna come with?”

“Fine,” I said, half smiling.

~~~

I sat down on a stool backstage, waiting patiently for my name to be called. I mentally went through the audition lines over and over, hoping I wouldn’t mess up.

I dropped my script, watching it fall down to someone’s feet. Pale hands picked it up, ice blue eyes cutting into mine.

“B!” Maddie said, “I… didn’t know you’d be auditioning.”

“Me neither, I just came with Ashlyn. We’re auditioning together.”

“Oh,” Maddie bit her lip, “Where is she right now?”

“She went to get a drink of water. Why?”

“No reason.”

Silence.

“So… which role are you hoping for?” she asked me.

“I’m hoping for a small role, like one of the villagers. You?”

“I’m going for Beauty.”

“Cool!” I said, forcing a cheerful tone.

“Maddie, you’re up next!” called up another student.

“Well, break a leg!”

“You too,” she quickly muttered, as she left backstage.

Ashlyn walked in, carrying a paper cup. “Is that Maddie?” she asked me.

“Yeah, she’s auditioning for the lead.”

“Oh, well that kind of makes sense. She always likes the big roles.”

“True,” I said, watching Maddie reading some of the lines. Ms. Carter clapped at the end, and wrote down a couple notes as Maddie returned back-stage. Even though Maddie wasn’t talking to me too much, I still hoped she’d get the lead. She really deserved it, she was a great actress, and she’s super committed. Plus-

“B! Ms. C called you three times now!” Ashlyn said, shoving me to the stage.

“Ok, ok!” I said, pulling away as I stood on-stage.

“Hello, B!” Ms. Carter smiled, “Head to Page 132, line 4. End on line 7.”

I nodded, taking a few deep breaths as I read the lines. I put myself in Beauty’s shoes as she watched the last petal fall from the Enchanted Rose. In the end, Ms. Carter was sitting at the edge of her seat.

“Amazing! Perfect performance!” she praised, as she wrote a few notes down. “Thank you! You can head off to your lunch now.”

“Thank you!” I said, as I headed out the doors. Ashlyn quickly caught up to me.

“You did amazing!” she said, beaming, “You’ll definitely get a great role!”

“You think so?” I asked, as I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.

“I know so! Anyone in their right mind would give you the lead immediately!”

I smiled, but it quickly faded as I watched Maddie glare at me. She rolled her eyes, and turned around. 

~~~

: February 22nd :

I sprinted down the halls, leaving wet snow footprints in my tracks. I huddled into my navy winter jacket, shivering from the snow-storm outside. I turned left, and found a crowd huddled around a board. I quickly pushed myself through the crowd, reading through the cast of the play.

“Beauty -- B (Understudy: Maddie)”

“Wait, I got the lead?” I gasped. Ashlyn and Cora ran up to me.

“Congrats!” said Cora cheerfully.

“Thanks,” I muttered.

“You deserve it! Meanwhile, I’m the Understudy for the Enchantress.”

“That’s not that bad,” I said.

Ashlyn shrugged, “Yeah, but hey, we get to spend more time together after school.”

“That’ll be fun! Could you help me with my lines after-school?”

“Of course!”

I smiled, then felt someone staring right at me. I turned around, seeing Maddie, scowling and glaring at me. Her eyebrows puckered, as she calmly walked away.

~~~

: April 23rd :

I hadn’t seen Maddie since the day of the audition. For the past three months, I’d been trying to get her to open up, or to actually talk to me, but she either avoided me or barely spoke. Camryn kept telling me to give her time, but that didn’t seem to be working. What if she didn’t want to be my best friend? Did I do something wrong?

“You know very well you’re popular, don’t even deny it.”

Was this about popularity? Or was it… something else?

I finally decided to confront her about the whole situation.

“Maddie!” I said, spotting her cold eyes across the hallway. She seemed frozen, glaring at me. Then she smiled. My nerves melted away, soaking up the warmth I’d been missing for a long time.

“Oh, B! It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” she said, her smile fading away, “How long has it been?”

“I… guess since the audition.”

Maddie’s old glare returned, but quickly faded away. It wasn’t a noticeable detail people could see. But I could, Maddie was my best friend after all.

Or… she used to be.

“Oh,” she looked away, “Sorry, I was just… busy.”

“Ah.”

It was a reasonable explanation. But that didn’t explain the small scowl on her lips she was trying to hide.

“Do you want to come over today maybe?” I asked.

She shook her head. “Sorry, I have stuff to work on.”

I bit my lip. “Of course. Well, I’ll see you around.” I walked away.

~~~

: May 2nd :

“Camryn? Maddie? What’s wrong?” I asked, ignoring their cold stares at me.

“You tell me,” said Camryn, as Maddie turned on her cell phone and played an audio message.

“Broke his wrist for the dumbest reason. Anyone could’ve seen that coming from a mile away.”

I paused, “Wait, I never said that about Camryn-”

Camryn rolled his eyes, “How’d you know it was about me?”

I fumbled for words, then realized when this was taken. “Wait, Cora and I were watching shows together a couple weeks ago. Did someone record our conversation?”

“Why would anyone do that?” asked Camryn, frowning.

“I...” I paused, noticing the small smirk Maddie had, “Wait, you set this up!” The pieces clicked together in my brain as a small crowd formed around us, “Popularity… the play… Do you seriously hate me that much?”

Maddie shook her head, teams forming in her eyes, “Of course not! You’re my best friend! You know I would never do that, and you’re accusing me?”

I froze, unable to move or speak. Everyone in the hallway was now glaring at me, whispering.

“Jealous, isn’t she?”

“B’s just accusing, not willing to take responsibility for her actions.”

“What a fake. Can’t believe I actually was her friend.” 

The last few words came from Camryn.

I felt tears rising, hurt and anger warring for control. Hurt won, as the tears finally let loose as I ran out of the hallway.

~~~

: May 31st :

The day of the play. I peeked through the curtains as parents and other students filled the room. I took several deep breaths, trying to convince myself that I’d do great.

Just don’t fail.

Don’t fail.

I felt the need to run away as soon as I saw Camryn sitting in the audience, checking his cell phone before the play started. Tears rose, but I quickly fought them off.

“B!” Aiden called for me, “Wardrobe needs you! Just head into the first stall!”

I turned, confused. I already got dressed and did my make-up. Did they miss something?

“On my way!” I said, as I rushed over to the dressing rooms. Remembering what Aiden said, I quickly headed into the first stall.

I looked around confused, “I don’t understand, there’s nothing he-”

The lock clicked. I turned and tried to open the door, but nothing worked.

“Help!” I shouted, desperate.

“That’s what you deserve for taking my role,” I heard Maddie say, as the lights flickered and turned off. I heard the dressing room door shut as I kept yelling for someone, anyone.

The next couple hours was a haze. Angry tears streamed down my face, betrayed. Shapes and voices grew from the darkness, clawing at every last ray of hope I still had.

“What a fake.”

“Jealous, isn’t she?”

“You know very well you’re popular, don’t even deny it.”

I clenched my fists. It was all her fault.

I lost all of my friends. All of my respect. Because she was jealous.

Screw Maddie.

~~~

: Two Hours Later :

The lights flickered on, and I heard two pairs of footsteps running in.

“B? Are you here?”

“Cora, I’m in here!” I shouted, as the stall opened with a bang.

“B, what happened? You missed the play!” exclaimed Ashlyn.

“Maddie. She locked me in here,” I said, angry and betrayed.

“She did what?”

I explained everything, every small detail shared. From the intensity of her glares, to the muddled haze in the darkness. My eyes were dry by the end of it, my fists drawing blood from my palm.

“She actually did that?” asked Ashlyn.

I nodded. “She took everything from me.”

“You have to tell a teacher. Ms. Carter will-”

Did you hear me? She took everything. My friends. My respect. All the trust everyone had in me, gone!” I yelled.

“So what are you gonna do?” asked Cora.

“I’m gonna make them pay. Maddie. Camryn. Aiden. Everyone.”

~~~

: Two Years Later :

I sat at my desk, checking my emails before starting my homework. I’d never forgotten my promise. I was going to make Maddie pay. But… how?

*Beep!*

A new email popped up in my inbox. It didn’t have a subject titled.

Curious, I clicked it open. It didn’t say who it was from.

Do you want revenge?

I stayed silent.

I can help you earn your respect back. I can help you expose her. I can help you make them pay. All you have to do is trust.

I froze.

Eventually, I responded.

I have a plan. Listen carefully.

I sent the plan I had in mind, and whoever I was talking to responded immediately.

Of course. I’ll have everything set up in a few months.

Thank you.

I smiled. Everyone was going to pay.

~~~

Thank you to everyone who participated in my first Reedsy Cast!

Cleo/Cookie Carla: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/cookie-carla/

Camryn/Chase Dova: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/chase-dova/

B/B.W: 

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/b-w/

Maddie/Abigail Cross: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/edbcba/

Ashlyn/Wolf Warrior: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/wolf-warrior-e4a694/

Chris/Celeste:

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/0466a8/

Ellie/Anonymous:

(You know who you are ;) )

Isla/Sia Sharma:

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/42b041/

Cora/Sienna:

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/a97cef/

Word Count: 2649 words

August 30, 2021 19:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

100 comments

Lilliane Wei
08:09 Dec 30, 2021

Waaiiiittt... This is the FINAL??? Will you be continuing the story??? (Please say yes!!) You had me hooked from the first part and I'm so glad I was able to read through the five following parts. Thank you so much for writing this incredible story, can't wait to see more!! -livia

Reply

22:58 Dec 30, 2021

Hehe maybe, maybe not ;) Ty for sticking around for that long journey (thats about to get longer heh-)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
23:04 Dec 30, 2021

Wooooooo good luck, can’t wait!!

Reply

03:39 Dec 31, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
12:00 Sep 21, 2021

I have got another new story! Do check it out and leave me a review

Reply

00:31 Sep 22, 2021

Ok! Ill check it out soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

hApPi EaRlY b-DaY -comment stalker

Reply

21:03 Oct 15, 2021

THANK YOUUUU LOL

Reply

22:03 Oct 15, 2021

so hru? :DDDD

Reply

03:18 Oct 16, 2021

Decentttt, im lOvInG the new prompts so i mAy post a story-

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:14 Oct 11, 2021

HEeeeeeEeEey

Reply

00:18 Oct 12, 2021

Hiii :PP

Reply

00:56 Oct 16, 2021

how ya surviving :) (Just…y’know…decided to spice up the question a bit? Yes? No? *shuffles back into corner*)

Reply

03:17 Oct 16, 2021

(*kneels down and pats you on the head*) Eh, a liL stress- but surviving xD wbuuuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
08:22 Oct 02, 2021

The post is out guys! I can’t believe it the number of views it has gotten! Please do check it out! I am really happy with the response and would love it if you guys too check the post out!!! ~ Dhwani Jain {02-10-2021}

Reply

Show 0 replies

yes change it to autumn m this is le celeste XD also idk for the emojis, prob like sCarY oNeS

Reply

02:40 Sep 19, 2021

hehehehehhe XDDDD HIIIIIU yEs sUpAh sCaRyYYYy (Edit: DANG IT I REALIZED I FORGOT TO PUT THE OPTIONS FOR THE POLL IN MY BIO, MY IQ IS LOWER THEN SEA LEVEL-)

Reply

XDDDDD CHANGE IT IT SOUNDS SO GUDDDDDD LoL BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA

Reply

02:52 Sep 19, 2021

XDD OKKK LMAOAOAO

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:52 Sep 19, 2021

K xD

Reply

02:56 Sep 19, 2021

YEYEYEYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
02:42 Sep 19, 2021

aLsO rEaD yOu bIo aGaIn sInCe yOu cHaNgEd iT hehehehe Lmao we all hate that one disrespectful friend, although I left mine she made an impact- YES CREATING CHARACTERS AND KILLING THEM OFF THE THE BESTTTTTTTTT

Reply

hEhEhE ikr u g h same IKR AHHHHHHHHHH

Reply

02:51 Sep 19, 2021

Ehehehheh AHHHHHHHHHHHEIRKEKMDIFORKDK

Reply

02:55 Sep 19, 2021

*coughs from sick >xP*

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
01:00 Sep 16, 2021

ON IT FIEHBJHEIJKEF-

Reply

00:53 Sep 17, 2021

XD

Reply

13:59 Sep 17, 2021

Tyy

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

iTs OuT also feel better<3 (LIKE AWESOME XD)

Reply

04:58 Sep 12, 2021

TBR SOONNNN tyy <3 (xD)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:29 Sep 05, 2021

Ok! I'll check it out soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
10:30 Sep 03, 2021

ooOOOoOoooooHhhhhhhHhhh Nice way to end it!!! *notes it down* I like the unanswered questions, and the mystErIousnEss of the whole thing, good job!! Rip us all :PP

Reply

23:15 Sep 03, 2021

hEHehheheHeHEHe Ty :D Rest in peace, may all the characters find a different ending... ;)

Reply

Sia S
05:02 Sep 06, 2021

XD

Reply

19:24 Sep 06, 2021

x3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wow-but we alllllll dead lmao *sigh* okie now i wish that i actually got to see isla and chris date XDDD amazing story!

Reply

23:17 Aug 31, 2021

lmao maybe maybe... >:)) ehehehehe maybe in a future part or smth tyy! :D

Reply

23:20 Sep 01, 2021

:P wAt?! i said nufin u-u :D

Reply

23:46 Sep 01, 2021

:>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
23:02 Aug 30, 2021

Oooooooooooooo I like how the unanswered questions were answered and wrapped up. Wow, just shows what a little grudge can do lol I couldn’t have asked for a better end/beginning, superrrrrrrrrrrr jobbbbbbbbbb :DDD

Reply

23:50 Aug 30, 2021

Lol, thanks! :D

Reply

TJ Squared
00:13 Aug 31, 2021

:DDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:25 Sep 04, 2021

meEeeEeP

Reply

21:24 Sep 04, 2021

ayoo it's been a while hruu ✋😏

Reply

15:14 Sep 05, 2021

omg yeah! I’m doing awesome, enjoying my 5-day weekend muahahahaha You?

Reply

19:30 Sep 05, 2021

eheheh nice! Eh doing decent ig, it's my dad's birthday soo thats fun :P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:26 Sep 04, 2021

also: Sokeefe 100% ;)

Reply

15:14 Sep 05, 2021

YES

Reply

19:30 Sep 05, 2021

YESSS IUERGHBJNKEIFHNEFK

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.