7 comments

American Drama Fiction

Autumn in Canada is my favorite time of the year. How everything around us becomes beautiful and cooler, providing us a relief from the heat. The beautiful transformation of tree leaves in stunning shades of yellow, orange, red and brown blows my mind.

Currently sitting in a coffee shop which have just introduced a new line of autumnal drinks, having a hot chocolate. Trying to make my sullen mood a little better.

“Good evening.” A old lady nearly in her 70's stood in front if my table.

“Good evening.” I said

“Can I sit with you, if you don’t mind. I was seeing you from a while and you seem a little sad to me. So I thought you would like to have some company.” She said giving me a wrinkled smile.

“I won’t mind, please take a seat.” I said and thanking me she sat comfortably in front of me. 

“Oh how rude of me, I am Luna by the way. Nice to meet you.” She said taking her hand out for handshake.

“Hailey, nice to meet you too.” I said copping her actions.

She looked at my almost finished hot chocolate before saying,

“They have just introduced a new line of autumnal drinks. They are amazing, have you tried any?” she asked

“Um, no I haven’t. But-" she cut me off

“Ah! You should try their classic pumpkin spice latte. Wait I will order them for both of us.” She said and immediately ordered for us.

I smiled at her ebullient nature.

She had pale and wrinkled skin but her eyes and smile shined bringer than the sun.

“You have the same smile like my granddaughter.” Her eyes twinkled when she talked about her grand daughter. 

“Do I?” I asked with a smile.

"Yes, you know once Charlie Chaplin said 'You will find that life is still worthwhile, if you just smile'." She said and I nodded

“You should meet her some day. You both must be of same age. She is a lawyer in New York, what is your profession?” she continued

“I am a CA, Chartered accountant.” 

“Oh that’s amazing, your parents must be proud of you.” She said and I nodded my head as yes.

Our conversation was cut off by the waitress who bought our ordered drinks. Their latte had two difference from others which was they used honey instead of sugar and using more pumpkin which added a good different taste.

"Isn't it amazing?" Luna asked

"Absolutely amazing." I said and we both smiled.

“Why were you sad Hailey?” 

"Just had a bad day." I said trying to drop the topic.

"You can tell me the reason for your bad day, if you don't mind." She said looking calculatively in my eyes. I took a deep death before speaking,

“I.. I had a argument with my mother this morning.” I said looking at my latte as tears started to well up in my eyes.

“Talk to me, share with me. They say sharing with the strangers makes you feel a little better.” She said, giving her a week smile I told her,

“Me and my mom had a fight this morning. She wants me to go back to Italy and help her with her boutique. She wants me to leave this job as a CA and help her with her work. But I don’t want to leave my job and go there. I love my job, but she doesn’t understand. Infact she doesn’t want to understand.” I exhaled deeply.

Luna took my hand in her fragile hands saying,

“Do you want to know Luna's autumn theory?” she said and I was confused.

"Luna's autumn theory?" I asked

“Its my autumn theory.” She said smiling at me. Before I could even reply she continued.

"I don't really care what your answer is. I was going to tell you anyways." She said and we both laughed.

“Autumn season is know for its beautiful change which it brings with it. The weather getting colder; changes of green leaves into yellow, orange, red and brown shades; days become shorter and nights becomes longer. It’s the season of changes, maybe for good or bad its up to you. If your mom doesn’t understand or don’t want to, you change your style of explaining her. Make her realize what you really want to do. Autumn teaches us to change. Change you ways my child, and everything changes.” She said and I was speechless. I was just staring at her with a smile.

She is right, I need to change my ways of explaining my mom and she will understand me hopefully.

Luna's phone vibrated, looking at the screen she smiled and looked at me.

“Its my time to go. Have a good day my child. God bless you and smile more often. You have a beautiful smile.” She said and my smile widened.

Hugging me goodbye she left the coffee shop. Meeting Luna in this coffee shop and her telling me ‘Luna's autumn theory’ was a life changing event for me. 

Sometimes things happen which we don't even expect.

When we think all the doors are closed and we don't have any choice, maybe the closed doors aren't locked and waiting for a knock.

Maybe we just have to knock the doors and seek for a perfect solution.

Maybe what seems so difficult isn't that difficult.

Maybe its just your power of not losing hope and keep trying.

Deciding to change my way of telling my mom what I want, I smiled. I have an idea how to explain her.

Victor Hugo a French poet, prose writer, dramatist, essayist and politician once said,

'There is nothing more powerful in the world than the idea that came in time.'

This autumn have bought a change in me which is a life time lesson.

I took out my phone, dialing my mom's number I waited for her to pick up my call. After a few rings she picked up the call.

“Hey mom"

“Hello"

“Mom, next week I will be coming home for a few days.”

October 10, 2020 11:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

02:57 Oct 16, 2020

I loved the character Luna... 😂 she is amazing

Reply

08:40 Oct 19, 2020

Me too 😁 i am glad you liked her

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:57 Oct 16, 2020

Loved it

Reply

08:39 Oct 19, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dush Isbsuuh
16:30 Oct 15, 2020

Nice, I loved the end so much. Keep it up! ♥️

Reply

02:58 Oct 16, 2020

yeah, she left the story from where it could be continued like a sequel

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:39 Oct 19, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.