1 comment

Mystery

Haley Lee Harper is the secret daughter of Carol Tushy, the mother of the hunky bachelor, Liam Porter – and Haley’s true love! Shocker! Headlines pop with, Sexy Bachelor Set to Marry Long Lost Sister and Liam Dates His Secret Sister. The news spreads with reporters combing the beaches and nearby neighborhoods for anyone that knows more gossip.

Back at the villa where the cameras roll for the new season, producers scurry to explain the shocking discovery. Rumors fly! It’s the biggest news to ever the dating scene set in Rosa Hills, New York. No one predicts the outcome for fear of adding to the drama.

Liam paces the stone floor of the patio in a tucked-away section. He worries that his million-dollar bankroll will disappear. Marty, the lead producer is not happy with him. The other producers call foul.

Haley sits on her king-size bed in the opposite section. The crew agrees to keep the couple’s location secret. This isn’t easy with current production taking place and fallout from the drama.

Meg, an intern slips away to find Haley. She feels sorry for her. The two are close in age being in their early twenties. They come from similar backgrounds and grew up with each having a single parent.

Knocking softly on the massive door to Haley’s room, Meg whispers her name. She enters with a bowl of soup in one hand and a glass of water in the other.

“Haley, how are you holding up?”

“I don’t know. I feel like I shouldn’t be here. I can’t stop crying.”

“No one saw this coming. It is a blow for us all.”

“I know. Everyone has been so nice. I know the producers are heated.”

“Yeah, they feel like Liam’s mother kept that awful secret.”

Haley nods. Something bothers her. It takes a moment to form her thoughts.

“I know I have similar skin tone coloring and eyes. His are bluer than mine, and I have a slight green cast in mine.”

“You have beautiful eyes. I think you’re quite lovely.”

Haley sniffs. “Ugh! I cannot stop my tears.”

“Who can blame you? You had no clue that she is your mother.”

“I’m so overwhelmed because I love Liam.”

“Love him how?”

“Not like in a romantic way. Just . . . different, I guess.”

“Did you feel something strange about him?”

“You mean that first night when we met?”

Meg nods. She can’t tell Haley why she’s asking so many questions. It’s just too much for all that’s happening.

“I guess I did. Maybe I just missed it. I kind of thought it was an instant spark.”

Meg purses her lips, deep in thought. She finally looks up at Haley.

“I have to tell you something.”

“Okay, go ahead. It can’t be worse than what came to light about Carol.”

An insistent knocking on the door stops Meg from sharing her secret. A deep male voice calls out, “Meg! Come downstairs. We need you!”

Meg glances at the door, and then back at Haley. She’s torn. Should she tell her in a hurry or come back later? She isn’t actually allowed to be in the room with her.

“Meg!” The voice coming through the door is even more demanding and louder as well.

She whispers, “I’ll come back later when it’s safe.”

With those words hanging in the air, she rushes to leave. Haley stares at the door. She’s alone again. The room’s décor relaxes her. She traces her fingers along the pattern of the rose-printed wallpaper. Soft carpet softens her footsteps. Fresh air breezes in from the open window at the balcony. Delicate curtains rustle.

A shadow moves just enough to catch her attention. Her heart freezes. Is someone on the balcony? She ducks behind a massive chair.

“Haley!” Liam whispers her name, entering the suite.

“Oh my God! Why are you here?”

“I had to see you. Please tell me you’re okay.”

“I don’t know what I am.”

“My mother is a witch. We never got along when I was a child, and we still don’t. She had no right to keep such a secret.”

Haley cries again, her nose puffing up. She swipes at the tears. Anger surges through her.

“I have to get out of here. The producers begged me to stay here until they figure out what to do.”

Liam reaches to give her a hug. “I am so sorry, a thousand times over. You do not deserve this drama.”

“I came for love.”

“You should have it!”

She nods, unable to think. This is not at all what she expected to experience. The season had been romantic and fun, thrilling with trips to Costa Rica and Liam’s favorite camping parks. Dancing with him gave her goosebumps.

She turns around. “I have to leave. I can’t stay. Help me escape!”

Liam sees the need in her eyes. He nods. “Pack your bag. I’ll take care of getting the rest to you another time.”

“Okay, sure.”

Ten minutes later, they bid farewell at a train station. He doesn’t ask where she’s going. She gives him one final kiss. Then she stands on the steps and waves. Nothing prepared her for what she is about to do. It’s risky, bold, and she’s full of anticipation.

Liam watches her leave. The train fades into the distance. He thinks about the quiet moments they shared. An image of his mother interrupts his thoughts.

“Liam?”

He turns. She stands before him. How dare she talk to him?

“You shouldn’t be here. You caused disgrace and drama, and for what?”

“I did it for you.”

“For me? How?”

“She wasn’t the right girl for you.”

“Of course not. She’s my sister.”

Carol shrugs. “Well, half I guess.”

“How could you?”

“Reveal the secret at the right moment?”

“Yes.”

“It was simple. I knew when you came here that you’d fall head over heels in love with the wrong woman. I’m the only one that knows who she is, her name, what she does for a living, and how she’ll be the best wife for you.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Come, you’ll see.”

Liam doesn’t have any desire to follow her. She’s dead to him. He turns the other way. The night air flows around him as he hears his mother call for him in the distance. A cab takes him away from her forever.

In the aftermath, the producers can not hide what happened. They acknowledge it and try to move on. There’s no place like Rosa Hills for drama and dating. 

April 18, 2020 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kathleen Jones
19:25 Apr 18, 2020

Characters are interesting and the story is like a soap opera with twists and turns.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.