0 comments

Romance

 Welcome.

Our story begins in a museum, where two people meet and hit it off. Is it true? Is it made up? Does it matter?

Make up your own minds. I’m just your totally trustworthy, if a bit reluctant, narrator.

Will keeps staring at the same Minoan pottery, depicting a darkened octopus, tentacles spreading throughout the periphery of the vase. He is not one to avoid a gathering of all the Greek schools of archaeology. The Heraklion Archaeological Museum boasts an astonishing exhibition of pottery, paintings, inscriptions and plenty more.

Do I share his enthusiasm? Gods, no. But a narrator does not judge. Well, not too often.

“Can we go now?” A voice says near Will.

“You feel nothing? These figurines are incredible.” Another voice responds.

Will looks at them, intrigued by the genuine interest of the responding voice. He sees a man and a woman, jackets hanging from their waist. They are not prepared for how hot the weather in Crete is during these days. Amateurs. The man is carrying a compact backpack, suddenly changing his stance from leaning in the exhibits to looking at Will.

“Am I right?” The man gestures towards Will, much to his surprise.

“Are you here for the Annual gathering?” Will asks, a bit hesitant to join their conversations.

“I am. She is just accompanying me. She is letting me stay in her vacation house, I think she called it.” The man says.

“You don’t sound too grateful.” The woman responds.

“I am Will.”

“Jack. Pleased to meet you.” The man now known as Jack says.

“Wow, there is no way we could have more nondescript names.” Will chuckles.

“True.” Jack laughs.

That’s not entirely true, I guess. How about John and Bob? No, not the same. James and Oliver? Yes, I am satisfied with that. Oops, I forgot I am doing a thing. Not to worry, reader, we lost but a mere minute. Let’s go back.

“I get it. The intricacies of the Minoan depiction of sea creatures is great… But the figurines. These have unprecedented value.” Jack explains.

The three people stand in front of a collection of figurines made out of ivory and materials such as clay or wood.

“You mean monetary value? Surely, the pottery would cost more.” Will retorts.

“No, who cares about the money?” Jack exclaims.

The narrator being paid to tell this story, thank you very much.

“What do you know about Minoan belief? About their gods?” Jack asks, looking Will in the eyes.

Will is thinking as hard as he can. He doesn’t want to lose to a new guy he just met. Especially when it comes to ancient history of the Bronze age.

“Nothing is known for certain.” Will answers, slowly. “The lack of written context makes the archaeologists guess most of the belief system’s inner workings based only on physical findings, such as these figurines.”

“I’m just gonna let you two kids talk. I’ll be in the gift section.” Jack’s friend says, walking away inquisitively.

Maybe she is trying to find her way out of the building. Maybe she is actually interested in the presentation of the museum but her friend sucks all the fun out of it with his questions and weird energy. Regardless, Good luck.

“See you later.” Jack says, waving at her, even though her back is turned.

“I still don’t get why the figurines are more important than the pottery, when we have already established a detailed timeline of the skills that went into producing all these different kinds of pottery. The figurines are primitive in comparison.” John explains.

“So what? Have you seen the facsimiles of all the paintings and frescoes? The Minoans could barely paint a human being. But they still used light and forced perspective. Think about the implications of the figurines, though. The symbol that everyone prayed to was a goddess. Shown accompanied by beasts, mythical or otherwise. But they also believe in might, power, strength, all that channeled through the holy symbol of a bull’s horns. They used multiple thrones. We know there were kings. But the highest power of all, in their society at least, was the goddess of fertility. A female based religion, despite of evidence suggesting a somewhat patriarchal community. What caused them to choose this? What led to the drastic shift towards what would be known as the famous Twelve Olympians, if the Minoans are connected with the rest of Greece at all? Isn’t it exciting?”

Will is stunned. He does not share the same enthusiasm about religion. He is more of a practical person, appreciating other aspects of ancient civilizations. Like the use of materials, diplomacy, art. Yet, his eyes widen with excitement at the prospect of spending this week’s annual meeting with a person such as Jack.

“Do you wanna see the rest of the exhibition with me?” Will asks.

“Thought you’d never ask. Let’s go.” Jack grins, eyes closed in total joy.

These two men leave an unfinished argument, choosing to lengthen the time spent together-

“You haven’t answered.” Jack pats Will’s shoulder.

How dare he interrupt me?

“Oh, I- I don’t.” Will stutters.

“You don’t find it exciting?” Jack takes his hand away in a theatrical manner, trying to get laughter out of Will.

“Now that you mention it, it is interesting.” Will smiles.

“Not interesting. Not that non-word. Express yourself.” Jack says.

Will is not used to what is currently happening. His love for archaeology is more of a hobby that hones his research skills. Solitary, not out of choice, yet solitary it is. He has not shared this desire to discuss and share theories with someone else. He absolutely is overjoyed at the prospect.

“I always saw pottery as an attempt to understand the world. It has something ready to be grasped, you know? Efforts of cultures trying to discern the scary out of life, the heroic. Religion, on the other hand, makes me think of their inability to study the world. It seems… Too easy.” Will says, hesitating at the end.

Not out of fear, mind you. Well, a little out of fear. Mostly, however, because he thinks he is somehow insulting his new friend’s code of conduct.

“I see.” Jack takes out his phone, swiftly taking notes.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to judge you or something.” Will says.

“Oh, no. I like taking notes when having complex and articulated conversations. It doesn’t happen often, so I have to seize the moment.” Jack says, typing intently.

After a minute or two, he puts his phone away and focuses on Will once more.

“I agree with the part about art. The attempt of encapsulating events or other concepts into one vase is intriguing to say the least. I love the geometric pattern style. But, I think you are simplifying religion. Most of the world didn’t write down stuff for long periods of time. They didn’t have libraries like we do. So, people learned rituals, participated with the entire town. And, you wouldn’t call Homer’s attempt to create a comprehensive guide of the inner workings of the Twelve Olympians easy, would you? Romans borrowed gods from Greeks, Greeks borrowed gods from Egyptians and so on and so on. And, within the context of religion, which supposedly explains the birth of the world and all that, ancient mathematicians calculated the approximate size of our planet with nothing but a shadow and some sticks. At least, I think they did. Healers used ebony knives for precise surgical cuts, tried all kinds of methods to enhance bone healing, instead of just praying for it. Religion is intertwined…” Jack looks around, taking in the sight and smell of the statues, the vases and the frescoes.

Will is at a loss for words, again. How else to describe this man known as Jack, who just exposes his inner thoughts like it is nothing, if not interesting?

I personally think he shouldn’t tell Jack that.

The two men keep walking through the exhibition, trading ideas, pictures and theories. Will tries note-taking, while Jack tries seeing things through Will’s philosophy of utility. The more their differences widen, the closer they feel to one another.

The protective glass that separates them from the exhibits is only an excuse to get closer, pointing out different details to each other. The open statues, the perfect opportunity to stand opposite, to giggle as if they know a secret that the rest of the people around this exhibition do not know.

Nearing the end of their time together, one of them suggests they go out.

“Do you wanna go somewhere else after this? I know a great place that makes cheese nuggets.” Will says.

Okay, I was not expecting Will to make the first move.

“Oh my god, I love cheese nuggets. Let me just talk to my friend.” Jack grins.

“Who?” Will looks around.

“My friend? Remember? You met her two hours ago.” Jack laughs. “How could you forget?”

“Right, yes. I never got her name.” Will sighs. “She must think I’m so rude.”

“Let’s go find her. She is probably outside chilling.” Jack presses on.

As they move outside, brains dancing and swirling through the countless possibilities and different endings, Jack fiddles endlessly with his hanging jacket. Will, on the other hand, decides to avoid stressing about it by mentally noting all the details of Jack’s backpack. Which, of course, leads to him thinking only about Jack.

What do they look like? Who cares, when all that matters to them is their passion for their respective hobbies.

As they walk out… Unfortunately, I am afraid we are not at liberty to follow them around.

Is the story true? Is the story fake? Did it have to be in a museum? Make your own assumptions and whatnot.

I am your definitely trustworthy, if a bit reluctant narrator. I am not being paid to narrate what happens to them outside of this place. Therefore, my contribution here is done.

Go away, now. Let the two lovebirds eat their cheese nuggets.

If anybody else pays me properly, I shall bring you another story.

Until then, read something else. And have fun doing it.

March 20, 2024 15:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.