1 comment

Coming of Age Drama Kids

“Mmmhhuhhh,” I moaned. My face was deep in a sea of pillows. I was sprawled out on my unmade bed, light leaking through the closed curtains making gold and pink sunrise patterns on my wall. My arms were far in front of me, my feet were dangling over the edge. I had my phone in my palm. 

I could smell eggs and toast through my tightly closed door. I love eggs for lunch, but I hate them for breakfast. It's just the way things work, my mom should get that by now. Being a professional cook and all, for her sake, I hope she learns it soon.

“Come and get your breakfast, Sammy!” I heard my mom holler from the kitchen.  

“Don’t wanna,” I mumbled. I was already starting to fall back asleep.

PING. My tiny flip phone vibrated. In a flash, I threw off my covers and opened the small device with care. I had only got it a few days ago for my twelfth birthday. It was my first phone after all, and I was not getting another one so I had to be careful. I had one new message. Living on such an isolated little island with such a little town having contact with the outside world was so new to me. I was just bubbling with excitement, my first text. Beaming I opened my inbox, 

-Come and eat :) 

-Mom, 7:30

With a groan, I flopped back on my bed dramatically. What did I expect, no one but my parents knew my number anyway. I felt the springs go up and down for a few seconds, and some pillows fell off the bed. I hate pillows on the floor so I got up and flung them up in the air, they hit the wall and landed in a pile of stuffed animals. The pillow was covering Nancy the narwhal so I went and fixed that too. I don’t get why mom makes me get up so early, she never asks dad too. He could just as easily walk Jonas down to the beach with his friends. I think he would be much more qualified for the job. Mom makes me do it anyway. I really can't object though because she doesn’t make me do too much, other than water plants, take water samples, and take care of Sahara and Jonas. So I don't complain to her because I know I got it good.  An energetic child bursts through the door. He is the hyperactive one in my family. His big green eyes are always full of energy, he has black hair that is like a messy mop and is pretty tall for a nine-year-old. Jonas was wearing his dino swim shorts and a Hawaiian shirt with lots of little polka dots. If he at least tried to have some fashion style then maybe he could look less messy. The little rascal was so energetic when he stormed into my room. He ran and jumped onto my bed, sending all my neatly organized pillows and stuffed animals across the room. 

“Sammy! Sammy! Sammy! Sammy!” he cheered in a loud voice while doing some weird dance on my bed, ruining my covers and getting dirt on my sheets. “Come on, you’re up now let’s GO!”

I felt although all my veins were bulging and as if I quite literally had the anger emoji pasted on my forehead, Jonas got the idea. I was MAD. I grabbed the nearest fallen pillow and charged at him. Only instead of being afraid, he took this as an invitation to wrestle. He jumped off the bed and onto me, knocking all my air out as I smacked him hard with my pillow. He moaned and tumbled off of me as I gasped for air. I charged again, on my knees now, trudging through my fallen stuffed animal comrades. I must get revenge, is what I thought. I grabbed that little devil by his collar as he tried to flee and pinned him down. Before I could even land a good pillow smack on him, mom came in. She gasped in horror. My room now looked like a battlefield. Pillows everywhere, dirty covers, fallen animal plushies, the fading sunrise gave the room a dramatic look, and on top of it all, me sitting on top of Jonas. Now, this was not the best position to be in, and there was no way I could argue out of this. Jonas started to moan quite dramatically, it was so obvious he was acting but my mom was so shocked that she worriedly rushed to him. 

“What happened here!?” she gasped. “It looks like a bomb just went off in this room.” I quickly got off Jonas and brushed myself off. Jonas’s dirty feet and my dirty covers seemed to explain itself but Jonas had taken this opportunity to roll and moan on the ground, acting like an injured animal. Thankfully though, my mother quickly saw through his little scheme and scooped him up. 

She turned to me next, I broke into a cold sweat, “Uh, Sammy,” she said. “Um, clean up in here okay? I can take care of your brother today.”

I sighed in relief, “okay.”

I looked around, it was a mess. I picked up a pillow and tossed it on top of my dresser. I did not want my pillows on the floor any longer than they had to be while I was making my bed. I vacuumed, cleaned my sheets, and organized my precious stuffed animals to my liking.

“There,” I said two hours later. It was around 9:30 now. 

I was planning to bump into Maria in the woods today, we live far apart on the island and can't communicate unless we find each other in the woods. My parents don't know yet but we built a huge tree fort in a nice willow tree. We painted it camouflage with its surroundings to keep our little siblings from easily noticing it. I am excited to share my new phone number with her, she got her phone recently too. We have our birthdays 3 days apart. I slide into my sandals, pull on some trousers and a T-shirt, and grab my sunhat. As I holler to my parents I am heading out I notice my uneaten eggs on the counter. It is cold now so I heat them and stuff them in my lunchbox. It will be lunchtime in a few hours anyway and I am kind of craving some eggs.

October 15, 2021 02:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lin Darroe
19:17 Oct 21, 2021

I enjoyed reading this story , The writing was very fluent and the character very believable!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.